Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:30 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,355,795 times

Advertisements

It's easy for "us" to criticize, reading about it the next morning and not living it the night before. He was upset, scared, hurt, shocked, insulted and he went on and on, but cops MUST dominate and prevail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 07:32 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,297,006 times
Wow, this happened right in my backyard. OK, there are two things that come to mind. Harvard University, has had multiple problems with police officers harassing, Harvard students and Harvard Professor of African American decent.

I agree with most posters, if Gates provided information as the officer requested, perhaps his reaction was a bit over-zealous, however, please keep in mind, that Harvard University Police officers, have a number of racial complaints logged against them for either arresting the wrong person in question or repeatedly harassing minority students at the University.

I think there are two sides to the story. I agree under no circumstance regardless of your race or gender should you yell at a police officer. There was a situation i read in the Metro earlier this year, about a African American Harvard student being arrested after he picked the lock to get his bike out. He was arrested face down on the ground after providing information, that he was a student, and providing information, that the bike in question belonged to him. In this case the young man was held for an extended period of time, after obeying all the request of the police officers. Another Harvard Police officer attempted to arrest an African American professor at his home, after he "fit" the description of a local bank robber.

I think the Professors reaction may signal an underlying racial tone, that many in other parts of the country are unaware of, that exist on one of our Nations most coveted campuses. However, I'm not part of the Harvard Community, so i may be over extending my interpretations of what is happening and students, professors, and police officers may feel different. It is often very easy to get carried away when one reads these cases, so i'll remind everyone, that these are my opinions and my interpretation, of events, that rarely happen on a large scale, but when they do happen, they seem to happen to minorites at a disproportionate rate. Okay, let me say it again, this does not happen on a very regular basis, but anytime i hear a story like this coming from the Harvard Community it usually involves, some sort of minority -cop issue.

However, before we all jump to conclusion, either defending the Professor or the Police officers, i think the news needs to come out. If the officer in question has a high number of complaints filed against him for being aggressive, i would have to question arresting an owner at their house and charging them with disorderly conduct.

I guess if i returned home and my neighbor called the cops, once i was in my house. I probably would have followed up with a call to the police department, so there would have been a record, that I called the police on the police to avoid a situation. I think arresting a homeowner at their home for disorderly conduct is going a bit too far. Short, of threatening the police officers with violence, i think i nice written warning would have been sufficient. However, it would be better to hear the full story, before i jump to my own conclusions as well lol.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:36 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,292,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
What does personal responsibility have to do with being profiled? Am I to take responsibility for the way others perceive me now? And if anything, this is nothing more than a reminder that Obama's election in no way has meant the eradication of racism, even in so-called "progressive" areas.
What I mean is that maybe it's not profiling and maybe the individual needs to stop blaming their own actions on others as an excuse. Maybe it's just you yelling insults at the cop or otherwise doing the things that will get you arrested that got you arrested and not any kind of racial profiling.

Sorry, but racial profiling in Cambridge is a bit far fetched. Especially with a famous and prominent Harvard professor.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:46 AM
miu miu started this thread

17,721 posts, read 40,374,074 times
Getting agitated with a police office is NEVER a good tactic. They have to deal with all kinds of BS all day long. I'm sure that if the professor had remained calm and not thrown insults at the officer suggesting that he was racially profiled, then the misunderstanding would have been over very quickly. Maybe the neighbor would have also stopped in to apologize for calling the police into the situation. She sounds like a well meaning neighbor, that because she was a woman, didn't want to get too close to what she thought might be a burglary in progress.

This incident remind me of the Texas pastor that got arrested for disorderly conduct earlier this month for interfering with a traffic stop.

Police use Taser on pastor after traffic stop - CNN.com

Old 07-21-2009, 07:56 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,867,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Well there you go folks. Even a Harvard degree and a distinguished body of scholarship can't get you out of being black in this country. My concern lies less with the cop than with the so-called "neighbor" who reported him in the middle of the day.
Most break-ins occur in the middle of the day.

If it were me. I would have thanked the officer and the neighbor for the extra vigilance and sat down with my bologna sandwich and soda and enjoyed the rest of the day.

But hey, they were both just doing their jobs. The cop was looking for malfeasance and the prof was looking for racist whiteys.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,503,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Most break-ins occur in the middle of the day.

If it were me. I would have thanked the officer and the neighbor for the extra vigilance and sat down with my bologna sandwich and soda and enjoyed the rest of the day.

But hey, they were both just doing their jobs. The cop was looking for malfeasance and the prof was looking for racist whiteys.
From what I've read, it appears Gates gave the Officer 2 forms of ID showing he resided at the home. If this occured, any further pursuit of investigation by the Officer was unwarranted.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
It's easy for "us" to criticize, reading about it the next morning and not living it the night before. He was upset, scared, hurt, shocked, insulted and he went on and on, but cops MUST dominate and prevail.
The incident happened midday, not at night. I'm sure that he wasn't scared or feeling hurt, just mad as heck and insulted. I don't think that he was shocked either, not by the way he was hurling insults at the police officer right from the beginning.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
From what I've read, it appears Gates gave the Officer 2 forms of ID showing he resided at the home. If this occured, any further pursuit of investigation by the Officer was unwarranted.
He resisted showing his id, all the while berating the police officer. Finally he showed his Harvard id and continued being argumentative and verbally abusive. He was finally arrested for disorderly conduct. It's like what happened with the Texas pastor that argued with the police over someone else getting a traffic stop and that old lady getting tasered after being pulled over for a moving violation and getting out of hand with the officer. The only moral to these stories is don't pick fights with the police as they just don't want to deal with it.

Police use Taser on pastor after traffic stop - CNN.com

Police officer tasers great-grandmother while camera rolling (video of event)

Old 07-21-2009, 08:09 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,594,106 times
Just another cocky a*hole from Harvard who needs to scream at a police officer who is trying investigate a potential crime and be uncooperative.

Last edited by Bostonian123; 07-21-2009 at 09:06 AM..

Old 07-21-2009, 08:11 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,536,371 times
Maybe the next time the dumbass will listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies