Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:33 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,875,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
There are apparently some people who wake up every day just praying for a drop in Obama's approval rating - even a 0.5% drop makes them squeal with delight. (I don't think afoigrokerkok does this, but I believe that others do.)
Its funny. The group that was bragging about Bushs low approval rating and Obamas high approval rating. Now have to deal with reality and Obamas lowering approval rating. Its kinda hard to say Obama is so popular when he has a lower approval rating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:39 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,308,493 times
No one should be governing with polls. That would be the height of stupidity (as it was stupid when Clinton did it).

Obama should be trying to do the job he feels best, and the GOP should do the same...

Old 06-29-2009, 11:41 AM

20,184 posts, read 23,942,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
The graphs, for the most part, track in parallel. That implies the methodology is sound but the sampling may be skewed. Obama's numbers are dropping like a rock, but Rasmussen has them a few points lower than other polls. Also, your poll as an extremely sensitive Y axis scale, making a 1% delta look very very different.
It looks parallel and any good statistician knows that parallel implies a systematic (constant) error ... which means the values are very skewed... perhaps because Rasmussen is sampling a larger majority of Republicans than other pollsters (possibly the source of their error)... however the trend is the same as other polls which does mean that people are starting to realize the reality of the situation about Obama versus the hype they have heard about and from the president... he isn't what he is all cracked up to be however... judging from past presidents who all have declining approval rates after election... Obama is nothing special... he is the same as past presidents, disappointment to a sizable number of his voters after the "awe" fell away... Obama "is" different from other presidents because he has more ambition and special interests (his own, not others) that he is driving to create... Who knows what will happen in the next 3 years of his presidency but he is off to some bad and good choices... just like a lot of our previous presidents... just hoping it doesn't get really, really bad like some of our previous presidents...but it sure does look like its getting worse...

Old 06-29-2009, 11:45 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,756,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I don't, but I become very frustrated with people who idolize Obama and, you've got to admit, there are plenty who do.
Yep, and I see at least as many who idolize Ronald Reagan.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Its funny. The group that was bragging about Bushs low approval rating and Obamas high approval rating. Now have to deal with reality and Obamas lowering approval rating. Its kinda hard to say Obama is so popular when he has a lower approval rating
I just look at the average polls and see that his approval rating is about 20 points higher than his disapproval rating. His favorability rating is even higher:

Favorable 60.5%
Unfavorable 32.7%

Pollster.com: National Favorable Rating: Barack Obama

And look at the Rasmussen line on that chart. It's the pink line of disapproval that's WAY higher than all of the other polls. Looks ridiculous.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I just look at the average polls and see that his approval rating is about 20 points higher than his disapproval rating. His favorability rating is even higher:

Favorable 60.5%
Unfavorable 32.7%

Pollster.com: National Favorable Rating: Barack Obama

And look at the Rasmussen line on that chart. It's the pink line of disapproval that's WAY higher than all of the other polls. Looks ridiculous.
Because that uses old polls but it puts together the strongly approve and approve.

Yes and what you just posted doesnt match the approval and disapprove of any other poll I've seen.

Compare his strongly approve with his strongly disapprove. Or his approve and disapprove. You wanna use strongly approve and approve again just disapprove. That isnt fair

Old 06-29-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Because that uses old polls but it puts together the strongly approve and approve.
It doesn't use "old polls". And approval is approval. The graph isn't meant to be complicated. It's easy for anyone to understand.

Quote:
Yes and what you just posted doesnt match the approval and disapprove of any other poll I've seen.
It's a graph of his favorability rating, not his job approval rating. The point is that by about 2-to-1, Americans have a favorable impression of Obama as a person.

Quote:
Compare his strongly approve with his strongly disapprove. Or his approve and disapprove. You wanna use strongly approve and approve again just disapprove. That isnt fair

Old 06-29-2009, 12:03 PM

10,654 posts, read 18,717,110 times
Quote:

Rasmussen is the ONLY poll that does the Strongly Approve/approve. The only one. EVERY other poll does Approve/Disapprove. They are the ones that are consistently skewed from the rest.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Obama Job Approval

Take a statistics class, please.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
It doesn't use "old polls". And approval is approval. The graph isn't meant to be complicated. It's easy for anyone to understand.

It's a graph of his favorability rating, not his job approval rating. The point is that by about 2-to-1, Americans have a favorable impression of Obama as a person.

lol so you think it takes the new polls from today and gets an avg? Ok realclearpolitics doesnt but maybe yours does. I know I use to have to take old info to get an avg. Who knows. I didnt conduct your poll and never heard of your web site before.

I dont think anyone denies that Obama is very much liked as a person its his policies that people are not liking and sadly a poll was done to find that out also.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:25 PM

10,654 posts, read 18,717,110 times
Quote:
lol so you think it takes the new polls from today and gets an avg? Ok realclearpolitics doesnt but maybe yours does. I know I use to have to take old info to get an avg. Who knows. I didnt conduct your poll and never heard of your web site before.

I dont think anyone denies that Obama is very much liked as a person its his policies that people are not liking and sadly a poll was done to find that out also.
Did you bother looking at the chart? Seriously? It does it monthly from all the new polls. Take a look at the data.

Fact of the matter is, Rasmussen clearly skews right, and it's supported by the data available for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies