Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:51 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,517,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Legalize marijuana, prostitution (in private, not on the street), and same-sex marriage. States are missing out on a lot of revenue by keeping these things illegal. They're also unnecessarily creating criminals that taxpayers have to support while they sit in jail.

And gambling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 07:00 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,048,492 times
It just bogs my mind how just about every anti-marijuana argument could go against cigs or alcohol too. And marijuana is actually better for you than cigarettes. There's no reason besides sheer stubbornness to keep it illegal.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:55 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,157,738 times
I can't believe it is still illegal when doctors are prescribing it to help ill people! You sure don't see them prescribing alcohol or nicotine!

Old 06-16-2009, 02:55 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I think it should be legalized. What business does the government have regulating what people choose to do in the privacy of their own homes or what plants they choose to grow in their gardens.
Good post!
Especially when so many politicians and media pundits continually rant and rave about personal responsibility. Let the the people be responsible for themselves!

Old 06-16-2009, 03:07 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,333,943 times
Let me get this straight, the Democrats want to legalize pot, but criminalize cigarettes...

Old 06-16-2009, 03:16 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,840 times
I can see the benefits, but I gaurantee you the government will try to control it completely. Pot should actually be legalized and people should be free to grow it themselves if they choose to do so. But our government will most likely consider that a crime. They will want the citizens to go through them for their weed, so that they can reap the benefits of this great new cash crop. Sorry if I don't feel like legalization for the sake of government profiteering is such a great idea. It should simply be legalized, period! And your average joe should be free to grow his own just like he would grow potatoes or peas. The only stipulation should be containment, because we don't want pot growing everywhere for the youth to get hold of when they are 11 years old. It should be strictly an indoor homegrown product. Outside growing should only be legal on plantations specially designed to keep intruders out. Legalizing pot for the use of the adult public should be a given, but I do not want children being able to just walk in someone's back yard and grab a handful.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:22 PM

134 posts, read 151,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
Well considering the 60's was 45+ years ago It would not surprise me that some of your friends are disabled, barely coherent, almost useless, and dead. It is called the aging process and it is not a pleasant experience for some. Of course the marijuana probably did not make things better, but to solely put the blame on one thing is pretty ignorant. You also have to factor in air pollution from cars that release toxic gases, how healthy their diet was, whether they had any past injuries, medical conditions, and so forth. Using any substance heavily for many years can take its toll on the body, hell eating McDonalds for a month straight can almost kill you. Moderation is key.
Yea, and how old are you, wise one. I was talking about 10 + years later in the 70's and early 80's. They were and are as coherent as Cheech and Chong.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:33 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,134,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keedy View Post
Yea, and how old are you, wise one. I was talking about 10 + years later in the 70's and early 80's. They were and are as coherent as Cheech and Chong.
i support your anti legalization stance but this thread is obviously pro pot as evidenced by the pot using posters

Old 06-16-2009, 03:50 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,351,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keedy View Post
As a product of the hippie 60"s, I can tell you with certainty that you can damage your brain with long time pot use. 98% of us quit after a few years. All the long time users...are today either dead or they are almost useless. These people, my old friends, are stuck in a time warp and most of them are barely coherent. A good percentage of them are disabled.
That has nothing to do with their pot use. They are people who were going nowhere anyways. You said yourself, 98% of you were fine, only 2% were messed up...wouldn't that lead you to realize that their laziness and their regression has nothing to do with the pot that the 98% of you smoked?

I know plenty of longtime users who are Senior Vice Presidents or Doctors who have had no negatives from their pot use. The fact of the matter is that you shouldn't spend BILLIONS OF DOLLARS policing something that nearly everyone can use responsibly...more people abuse sugar and caffiene than pot.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:56 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,351,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Let me get this straight, the Democrats want to legalize pot, but criminalize cigarettes...
I've never heard of ANYONE calling for the criminalization of cigarettes. I have no problem banning all smoking (pot, cigars, cigarettes, pipes) from public places that aren't specifically smoking lounges.

And it's not the Democrats who want it legalized, only some Democrats support legalization. Some Republicans support it, like Dana Rorabracher or Ron Paul, and all Libertarians support legalization.

BTW, what are you bringing to this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies