Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,811,669 times

Advertisements

We are putting up public money to save your investment in this company. You play ball under our rules now. I don't see the problem here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 08:07 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,789,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
We are putting up public money to save your investment in this company. You play ball under our rules now. I don't see the problem here.

Not quite. Obama put up the money to save the unions, this will not pass constitutional muster.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:35 PM

20,379 posts, read 19,998,674 times
Quote:
KevK;. You play ball under our rules now.

And just what are "our rules"?

Old 05-04-2009, 11:36 PM

20,379 posts, read 19,998,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Not quite. Obama put up the money to save the unions, this will not pass constitutional muster.
I'm starting to feel that doesn't matter too much.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:14 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,387,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Do we really want a President scaring Businesses or Americans with a do it my way or else I will ruin you. That is Saddam, Castro, Chavez type of ruling and our President has to answer to the American people unlike other countries.
After the bailouts, etc. the govt now "owns" what percentage (I forget) in banks & car companies.
* The govt doesn't have a great track record in running fiscal matters
* Would love to hear what a Constitutional expert has to say about how/if these powers are allowed under our Constitution
* Can't believe American citizens are not outraged that Obama & staff are allowed to dictate actions to private companies
* The unions are going to get 55% of Chrysler while investors are told to take a loss - take 29 cents on the dollar.
* Some banks which did not need/want bailout money were "forced" to take it.
* Banks now wanting to give the TARP money back are not being allowed - the Feds won't let them.
* At one time Joe Citizen and Investors may not have believed the statement that the govt threatened to use the WH press corps to ruin a company's reputation if they did not play ball with the Feds. However, with all the govt has been doing - it is not hard to believe.

Oh boy, this should have private investors running to invest in anything which the govt may have a hand in - NOT!

US citizens better get ready to open their pockets - if investors turn away from investing in businesses, the businesses are either going to be hurting even more or someone - the citizens - will have to pay via investing, taxes, or increased job losses.

Quote:
In the government-led plan for Chrysler, the UAW pension fund will end up owning 55% of the auto maker, while the secured lenders were forced to take just 29 cents on the dollar for the debt they hold. Chrysler: An Anti-Union Backlash in Financings? - Deal Journal - WSJ
UAW leaders recommend Chrysler concessions; union trust to own 55 percent of company -- baltimoresun.com

Old 05-05-2009, 08:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,079,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Lauria said the president saying he doesn't stand with his clients "kind of sounds like 'You're fair game.' In whatever sense. People are scared. They have gotten death treats. Some have been told people are going to come to their houses. God forbid if some nut did something, I'm just wondering how the president would feel."

This sounds far-fetched. If true, I would be shocked and angry, but I don't see why a government that borrows trillions would engage in death threats over 30% of Chrysler debt.
Really? They did it to Henry Ford when he refused to pay minimum wage. BTW he was paying more than that at the time.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Do we really want a President scaring Businesses or Americans with a do it my way or else I will ruin you. That is Saddam, Castro, Chavez type of ruling and our President has to answer to the American people unlike other countries.
Really? And just when do you think that'll happen?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:02 AM

38,277 posts, read 22,300,986 times
Quote:
Lauria;I can tell you for sure that I represent one less investor today than I represented yesterday. One of my clients was directly threatened by the White House, and in essence compelled to withdraw its opposition to the deal under threat that the full force of the White House press corps would destroy its reputation if it continued to fight. That's how hard it is to stand on this side of the fence.

Beckmann: Was that Perella Weinberg?

Lauria: That was Perella Weinberg.

Beckmann: All right.
From what I have heard, Tom Lauriais a very well respected, top tier lawyer, so if he makes public statements like these, they should be taken very seriously.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
From what I have heard, Tom Lauriais a very well respected, top tier lawyer, so if he makes public statements like these, they should be taken very seriously.
And for the banks that went along with the "deal" you have to remember they were/are the ones that received TARP funds so they had no choice but to "play ball".

Old 05-05-2009, 08:28 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,479,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
And just what are "our rules"?
Ya know Hitler, Chavez, Castro type dictatorship
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies