Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:18 PM

471 posts, read 587,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
How do you people live with yourselves?

This was a thing. It was insured. It could be replaced.
He'll never use that car again with all the blood and guts in it.
So what was the net win?
You think this murder won't affect him for the rest of his life?

It's a thing.

So, stealing is fine? The criminal is the victim?

Old 05-03-2009, 12:22 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,472,577 times
Quote:
I have to twit you because reading what you write makes my skin crawl and makes me feel dirty.
I hope it does.

As to the OP, I already posted wayyy earlier on this thread. He had EVERY RIGHT to defend himself/his property. I'd much prefer to see criminals killed than innocent children. A child is no different the day before it comes out of the womb than the day after; supporting abortions in the first trimester or even second is one thing, supporting them that late-term absolutely means you condone murder.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:40 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
Quote:
How do you people live with yourselves?

This was a thing. It was insured. It could be replaced.
He'll never use that car again with all the blood and guts in it.
So what was the net win?
You think this murder won't affect him for the rest of his life?

It's a thing.
chiel, I respect the sentiment behind what you're trying to say, but we have got to stop allowing people to behave badly and wrongly with no consequence.
I would stand up and stop this SUV-stealing turd - not to save my truck, but to save my own life and b/c of the principles involved. When do you stop these people? Where do you draw the line?

Old 05-03-2009, 12:41 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,299,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
So, stealing is fine? The criminal is the victim?
Where did I say that?
Stealing is wrong, murdering someone for stealing a THING is even more wrong.

Sorry you hold THINGS of greater value than human beings.

Says more about you than you might want to reveal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
chiel, I respect the sentiment behind what you're trying to say, but we have got to stop allowing people to behave badly and wrongly with no consequence.
I would stand up and stop this SUV-stealing turd - not to save my truck, but to save my own life and b/c of the principles involved. When do you stop these people? Where do you draw the line?
You don't murder them. You do it through the courts.
It's a THING.
_________
How about the commandment for all you xians out there, thou shalt not KILL.

Last edited by chielgirl; 05-03-2009 at 12:54 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 12:47 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,332,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I hope it does.

As to the OP, I already posted wayyy earlier on this thread. He had EVERY RIGHT to defend himself/his property.
Who says that's what he was doing?

I've known people who were madly in love with their vehicles, and I gotta tell ya, the last thing they would do is shoot their own vehicle.

Good thing this wasn't horse theft.

I like horses.

Last edited by ergohead; 05-03-2009 at 12:57 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 01:35 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
When I read your post, I thought of Jean Valjean in Hugo's Les Miserables. I haven't read the book in about 35 years, but I was glued to it. I thought being imprisoned for stealing a loaf of bread was very unjust, but back then I also believed a Utopian government was possible!

I might be naive, but does someone really need to commit a crime to survive? Maybe so, but I was brought up differently. My mother must have told me 1,000 times about the days she stood in bread lines during the Great Depression and how her mother lined her shoes with cardboard from egg boxes when the soles began to wear. She'd always finish by reminding me that "we were always clean" and "we never stole anything."

Well, it's 2:30 in the morning, so I don't have much to contribute, but thank you for saying it was a nice post.
I've been in a bad situation before, and I didn't resort to crime. I also didn't have any mouths to feed. Having never been in a situation like that, I can't say that I wouldn't ever turn to crime if I felt I had no other options left. I have to assume that I would treat feeding children as a priority above the law.

Likely, that wasn't even close to the case here. Those two probably weren't stealing an SUV so they could feed their kids. Its a shame about the girl regardless.

Isn't someone dying the worst possible outcome of a crime?
Many of our posters don't react that way.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:15 PM

233 posts, read 701,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Do not waste any more time on this thread.
Exactly. One poster is purposely pulling everyone's chain. So that poster feels morally and intellectually to farmers defending their own property. Wonderful. Hopefully more and more thieves will come to the same end. It's time to treat the criminals like the criminals not the victims. I will not waste any more time here.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:17 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,472,577 times
Last time I checked, murder for no reason is worse than "murder" (which IS legally allowed) for theft.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:36 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,332,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Last time I checked, murder for no reason is worse than "murder" (which IS legally allowed) for theft.
"Murder" is a legal term.

So is, "crime of passion".

Lotta passionate posts on this thread.

Hate is a passion.

I don't think either of the thieves were guilty of a "crime of passion" - or murder.

Don't know about Farmer Jones. He might have just been your ordinary garden variety dumbf**k.

Probably his best defense.

Last edited by ergohead; 05-03-2009 at 02:48 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 02:47 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,643,127 times
Quote:
Where did I say that?
Stealing is wrong, murdering someone for stealing a THING is even more wrong.

Sorry you hold THINGS of greater value than human beings.

Says more about you than you might want to reveal.

You don't murder them. You do it through the courts.
It's a THING.
_________
How about the commandment for all you xians out there, thou shalt not KILL.
It's not the THING that is the issue here. The issue is this person feeling they can just waltz in and take that thing from me with impunity. Good greif... I guess whenever some wants to steal my THINGS I should just let them have them with out so much as a 'by your leave'? The REAL issue here is that ones home is ones castle. I will NOT relinquish my THINGS to anyone without a fight, lest all their buddies see me as fair game. I will fight to the bitter end to protect what is mine. Why? because I value my soverignty. You want my stuff? I view that as an attack upon my very self. Invading a persons home with the intent of stealing, regardless of whether or not you actually intend to do violence to do so, means you run the risk of getting killed. I do not value a human thieves life any more than a four leged ones in this particular aspect. Less. Humans KNOW the risk, and the difference twixt right and wrong, and do not need to steal cars to survive. At least the feral dog taking down my calves has a valid reason to want to do so, beyond just not having to walk somewhere. If YOU want to just roll over and beg...go ahead. I won't. Never! You flat don't get it...and never will....carry on..............P.S. the Bible does not govern my life. So the Ten Commandments are non sequiter. One does not have to be religious to lean right in ones views
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies