Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:12 AM

33,387 posts, read 35,009,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
It's my understanding that the reason to change to being taxed on miles travelled instead of gas purchased is due to the increase in hybrid cars. Those cars use less gas but can travel the same distances. Ergo, people with hybrid cars are not contributing their share of taxes used for highway maintenance.
the problem is that taxing miles driven will not replace the gas tax, but rather supplement them. eliminate the gas tax, and then tax the miles driven, and i am ok with that. a better way though would be to bump the gas tax a few cents per gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
yes, I can see that it is going nowhere If this type of law is passed then we are in for a serious problem. Fortunately, the masses are rising to the challenge, and the tax & spend politicians will be OUT of congress.
one can only hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 11:21 AM

10,845 posts, read 14,994,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
This will get shot down in flames as it should.
I wouldn't be so sure in the new age of Obama.

What we could so is equip people with sniffer collars that can detect when we are eating a Big Mac or (gasp!) french fries so a new national health care tax can be levied.

Those that will not fight for liberty and freedom will lose it. We are losing it.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:25 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,876,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Washington — (AP) - Rep. James Oberstar said Tuesday that he wants Congress to enact a mileage-based tax on cars and trucks to pay for highway programs now rather than wait years to test the idea.

The tax would entail equipping vehicles with GPS technology to determine how many miles a car has been driven and whether on interstate highways or secondary roads. The devices would also calculate the amount of tax owed.

You hated wiretaps. Do you also hate the thought of government tracking your every move?

Oberstar makes push for mileage tax | Minnesota Public Radio News
Tax the Senator every time he opens his mouth

Old 10-21-2010, 11:48 AM

33,387 posts, read 35,009,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Tax the Senator every time he opens his mouth
lets fight global warming properly, lets tax everything that comes out of any politicians mouth, or pen.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:19 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,374,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Sorry, what is your problem? I am completely comfortable paying my own way. What exactly are you trying to prove arguing with me? And besides, how exactly do you know a per-mile-driven tax would be more than the existing gas tax? That is an unsubstantiated claim that you are ignorantly throwing around so you can 'win' an argument.

Look - if you are comfortable paying for hybrid/electric/hydrogen powered cars to drive for free, that is fine, but I actually want everyone to contribute rather than giving some people a free ride. Obviously you don't feel the same way.

What is my problem? What am I trying to prove arguing with you? I would think that someone with almost 3K posts on here would understand how an online forum works. Apparently you don't so allow me to assist.
You see, people post and then others reply. Can you grasp that concept? Or would you prefer only those that agree with you reply to your posts?

Quote:
"A vehicle miles-traveled tax is a logical complement, and perhaps a future replacement, for fuel taxes."
Perhaps a future replacement. Perhaps an addition to fuel taxes. How do you know a mileage tax would be less thgan the existing gas tax? Nothing has been clearly defined. Do you actually think the government will abolish gas taxes and then lose all the revenue on gas used by boats, ATVs, industrial equipment, and etc? They're re-paving in my town right now. Those excavators certainly suck up allot of diesel fuel.
Hybrid cars still use gas. Electric cars use electricity which is taxed. Hydrogen can and will be taxed if it becomes a viable alternative. All of these people that may have those vehicles still pay license fees, registration fees, state inspection fees, and so on.
You are completely comfortable paying your own way? I hope you have 500k handy to buy your fire truck in case there's a fire at your house. BTW: that truck will also need a road to get to your house.....but you don't want to pay for that.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,250,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
What is my problem? What am I trying to prove arguing with you? I would think that someone with almost 3K posts on here would understand how an online forum works. Apparently you don't so allow me to assist.
You see, people post and then others reply. Can you grasp that concept? Or would you prefer only those that agree with you reply to your posts?

Perhaps a future replacement. Perhaps an addition to fuel taxes. How do you know a mileage tax would be less thgan the existing gas tax? Nothing has been clearly defined. Do you actually think the government will abolish gas taxes and then lose all the revenue on gas used by boats, ATVs, industrial equipment, and etc? They're re-paving in my town right now. Those excavators certainly suck up allot of diesel fuel.
Hybrid cars still use gas. Electric cars use electricity which is taxed. Hydrogen can and will be taxed if it becomes a viable alternative. All of these people that may have those vehicles still pay license fees, registration fees, state inspection fees, and so on.
You are completely comfortable paying your own way? I hope you have 500k handy to buy your fire truck in case there's a fire at your house. BTW: that truck will also need a road to get to your house.....but you don't want to pay for that.

It seems like you missed my post where I said I would only support this if it replaced a gas tax. And by the way, I am very comfortable to pay for the share of public services I use. Do I use the fire department? Absolutely, so I would absolutely pay for it. Maybe if I say that for the fourth time you will get it. You seem to have an incredible talent for selective reading.

Tell me this (since apparently you have all of the answers), how do we account for the decrease in revenue due to less gas tax regarding alternative fuel vehicles? This is the central point I was making (and one which you have continually ignored). I look forward to you solution, and I hope you do not ignore this point for the fourth time in a single thread.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:10 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,386,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Tell me this (since apparently you have all of the answers), how do we account for the decrease in revenue due to less gas tax regarding alternative fuel vehicles? This is the central point I was making (and one which you have continually ignored). I look forward to you solution, and I hope you do not ignore this point for the fourth time in a single thread.
I won't ignore it.

The drop is due to people cutting back on fuel use. Which is what they wanted in the first place. Tax those with hybrids to the hilt instead of giving them tax break subsidies to buy them.

We SUV / multi car household drivers pay our fair share and we've cut back for various reasons. I haven't filled my 93 GMC up since before June 1st this year - and it's got a 38 gallon tank that's still 3/4 full.

Taxing entities do not build in these contingencies like people conserving now do they? They simply want the revenue in any case.

TAX THE HYBRIDS if you want taxes they 'would have paid' if they owned a regular vehicle.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:41 PM

13,016 posts, read 19,009,070 times
The present system taxes everyone who uses gas and diesel, even lawnmowers and snowblowers which do not use the roads. Drive on mostly private roads and toll roads and you are still paying for public roads. Electric car drivers, so far a small number, do not pay it at all. So maybe pay per mile of driving on public roads should replace the gas tax.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:43 PM

13,016 posts, read 19,009,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
lets fight global warming properly, lets tax everything that comes out of any politicians mouth, or pen.
And lets double that for personal attacks.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:45 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,386,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The present system taxes everyone who uses gas and diesel, even lawnmowers and snowblowers which do not use the roads. Drive on mostly private roads and toll roads and you are still paying for public roads. Electric car drivers, so far a small number, do not pay it at all. So maybe pay per mile of driving on public roads should replace the gas tax.
Reefer fuel is taxed at a different rate. And it's dyed a specific color.

You don't want to get caught with bright red diesel in your diesel powered vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies