Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:54 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
House Democratic leaders, including Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), have ratcheted up the pressure on their rank-and-file members to oppose a resolution calling for an ethics committee investigation into the ties between key Democrats and a controversial defense-lobbying firm.

Democratic leaders have told their members they should let the ethics panel do its work and stop supporting a measure sponsored by Rep. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) that calls for an ethics probe into political donations from the now-defunct PMA Group lobbying firm and earmarks its clients received.

TheHill.com - Pelosi, other Dem leaders pressure members to oppose ethics measure
is this hope, or change? it's so hard to tell...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Hmmmm....how unusual for Dem politicians to try and block an investigation...

Old 04-22-2009, 10:13 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Who cares what Pelosi says we want Washington cleaned up, and we Dems are serious about it. If a crime like fraud is commited I want it investigated.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:20 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Hmmmm....how unusual for Dem politicians to try and block an investigation...
you think they might have something to hide?

Quote:
Feinstein defended herself Wednesday by pointing out that her legislation to route $25 billion in taxpayer money to a government agency that reportedly awarded her husband's real estate firm a lucrative contract never was enacted into law.

Another Democrat, Pennsylvania Rep. Jack Murtha, is facing a federal probe for purportedly steering defense appropriations to clients of KSA Consulting, which employed his brother Robert, and the PMA Group, founded by Paul Magliocchetti, a former senior staffer on the Appropriations Committee Subcommittee on Defense.

New York Rep. Charlie Rangel is being investigated by the House Ethics Committee in at least four areas, including his reported failure to properly report income taxes on a Caribbean villa in the Dominican Republic; use of four, rent-controlled apartments in Harlem; questions about an offshore firm asking Rangel for special tax exemptions; and whether Rangel improperly used House stationery to solicit donations for a school of public affairs named after him at City College of New York.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:24 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Who cares what Pelosi says we want Washington cleaned up, and we Dems are serious about it. If a crime like fraud is commited I want it investigated.
Maybe you can convince the Democrat hacks here on CD, the ones that are so partisan that they are blind to the corruption in the Democrat party, to join you? I doubt it. If Democrats really want reform they sure don't act like it. I think you may be sincere but if you think this 2 party system can do anything but breed corruption, you are in for a huge disappointment over the next 4 years.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
is this hope, or change? it's so hard to tell...
All this proves is that the party in power is the party of corruption.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Maybe you can convince the Democrat hacks here on CD, the ones that are so partisan that they are blind to the corruption in the Democrat party, to join you? I doubt it. If Democrats really want reform they sure don't act like it. I think you may be sincere but if you think this 2 party system can do anything but breed corruption, you are in for a huge disappointment over the next 4 years.
It won't be the first or the last disappointment in my life, but I will continue to work for what I believe. I can't speak for others but I think now maybe a unique time that we may be able to send some sort of message to Washington.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you think they might have something to hide?
Yeah, get Pelosi out at the next election. I lost my respect and trust for her when she said that impeachment for Bush/Cheney was off the table. She's gotta go for that remark.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
All this proves is that the party in power is the party of corruption.
Bingo - +1 to you.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
It won't be the first or the last disappointment in my life, but I will continue to work for what I believe. I can't speak for others but I think now maybe a unique time that we may be able to send some sort of message to Washington.
I am with you on that. I have no problem with people with differing political viewpoints an long as they are honest. Unfortunately not many in DC are truly honest and that goes for both parties. It is long overdue for real change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies