Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
I see that you are more concerned about spewing rubbish than being concerned about our executive branch having the power to detain people indefinitely without being charged or tried, which is a fundamental human right as expressed by our Constitution.

It is unfortunate that Obama is following Bush's footsteps regarding habeas corpus and more unfortunate that his base apathetic over this.
I think you should read my posts on the half a dozen threads on the issue before making your determination...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 10:12 PM

654 posts, read 466,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I think you should read my posts on the half a dozen threads on the issue before making your determination...
No, I am not going to fish through all your 2,885 posts to find out your particular stance concerning Obama's reversal concerning habeas corpus.

You are free to express them here, but you chose not to. Instead you erroneously chalked this issue up as a "right-wing" talking point to create a partisan issue out of a serious topic.

Last edited by I Like Taxes; 04-22-2009 at 10:29 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 10:29 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,786 times
Quote:
New right wing talking point alert!!!!!
Bush and Obama are the same.
I guess all the rightwingers are now in support of Obama???
Nope, did not support Bush, do not support Obama. I love my country way too much to trust it to fools that only care about advancing their party agenda, whether it is good for us or not.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
No, I am not going to fish through all your 2,885 posts to find out your particular stance concerning Obama reversal concerning habeas corpus.

You are free to express them here, but you chose not to. Instead you erroneously chalked this issue up as a "right-wing" talking point to create a partisan issue out of a serious topic.
Here this is some from tonight on the issue.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/8472399-post39.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/8472650-post44.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/8472849-post13.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/8473121-post20.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/8472598-post7.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/8472489-post11.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/8472727-post15.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/8472870-post19.html

Old 04-22-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Here this is some from tonight on the issue.
Not one of those posts touched on the topic of Obama adopting the Orwellian policy of suspending habeas corpus. They were mainly about Pelosi's relations to torture, and whether she should be indicted for knowing about it and then blocking investigations along with the morality of waterboarding.

Do you agree with Bates or Obama?

Old 04-22-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Not one of those posts touched on the topic of Obama adopting the Orwellian policy of suspending habeas corpus. They were mainly about Pelosi's relations to torture, and whether she should be indicted for knowing about it and then blocking investigations along with the morality of waterboarding.

Do you agree with Bates or Obama?
Habeus corpus should never be suspended unless secession or a civil war is waged IMO.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Habeus corpus should never be suspended unless secession or a civil war is waged IMO.
Habeas corpus is one of the most fundamental instruments in protecting individual freedom from unlawful detention by the state.

Why do you believe that it should be abandoned during a civil war or a (peaceful) secession?

Old 04-22-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Habeas corpus is one of the most fundamental instruments in protecting individual freedom from unlawful detention by the state.

Why do you believe that it should be abandoned during a civil war or a (peaceful) secession?
Because I believe that the 14th amendment clearly state that secession is unconstitutional if not approved by a 2/3rds vote in each house of congress. Therefore those seceeding are traitors and should be treated as such.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Because I believe that the 14th amendment clearly state that secession is unconstitutional if not approved by a 2/3rds vote in each house of congress. Therefore those seceeding are traitors and should be treated as such.
The 14th Amendment does not explicitly outlaw secession. Secession is not traitorous--in fact that is how America was founded. We are a union based on voluntary association, not a union based on coercion.

There are laws regarding traitors and people accused of treasonous acts are tried. They are charged, detained, and tried.

So I will ask again. Why do you think that the state should have power to arbitrarily detain people indefinitely without being charged during a time of Civil War or secession?

Old 04-22-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
The 14th Amendment does not explicitly outlaw secession. Secession is not traitorous--in fact that is how America was founded. We are a union based on voluntary association, not a union based on coercion.

There are laws regarding traitors and people accused of treason are tried. They are charged, detained, and tried.

So I will ask again. Why do you think that the state should have power to arbitrarily detain people indefinitely without being charged during a time of Civil War or secession.
Youre view of the 14th ammendment is different than mine and until the issue reaches the high courts we will never agree. Secession peaceful or not is a rebellion against the US and therfore is outlawed under the 14th amendment as states or elected officials are banned from participating in a rebellion against the union. Therefore I believe that all those that "participate" in secession are traitors and have no constitutional rights. I find it ironoc that breaking up america is american in your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies