Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 01:31 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,672 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering who folks on either end of the spectrum listen to and respect. I consider myself left of center and I enjoy these folks:

David Brooks
David Frum
Kathleen Parker
Andrew Sullivan
George Will (unless he's talking about global warming)

Anyone else enjoy reading the thoughts of "the other side"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 01:33 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
I was just wondering who folks on either end of the spectrum listen to and respect. I consider myself left of center and I enjoy these folks:

David Brooks
David Frum
Kathleen Parker
Andrew Sullivan
George Will (unless he's talking about global warming)

Anyone else enjoy reading the thoughts of "the other side"?

Listening to or reading any of the pundits rots your brain and renders you permanently incapable of thought. CD should be all the proof anyone ought to need.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:36 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
I reckon there are many on both sides whom I respect:

Right- Frum, Will, Brooks (very much), Krauthammer, Sowell.

Left- well that was fast. Just kidding- Cohen, Shields, Germond, Clift (yes, Eleanor Clift makes her points well!)

I miss both William F. Buckley and William Rasberry.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
Listening to or reading any of the pundits rots your brain and renders you permanently incapable of thought. CD should be all the proof anyone ought to need.
I think if you only listen to... I mean really listen to... one side, that's true... but you need to be exposed to different ideas. The caveat is that those ideas need to be thoughtful.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I reckon there are many on both sides whom I respect:

Right- Frum, Will, Brooks (very much), Krauthammer, Sowell.

Left- well that was fast. Just kidding- Cohen, Shields, Germond, Clift (yes, Eleanor Clift makes her points well!)

I miss both William F. Buckley and William Rasberry.
Buckley is well missed... I think he would have been pretty aghast at the rise of Palin.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:06 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,187 times
Quote:
I think if you only listen to... I mean really listen to... one side, that's true... but you need to be exposed to different ideas. The caveat is that those ideas need to be thoughtful.

It's not hard to see what they're up to if you follow the news in the areas where you have expertise. If you do this in more than one area it doesn't take long to get the picture of what somebody's politics are without having to have somebody to tell you what it is. That's the way most people did it before we had these professional opinion generators. Whether its a profession or vocation, or an industry or just an interest, they usually will report on the legislation and legal cases that affect it. I subscribe to some scientific and technical journals that do that. I listen to the Farm Reports daily. For any real news junkie, a short wave radio is that way to go. It's interesting to see how different countires report on a story. You'd be surprised how many stories that are headline news in every other country are not reported at all in the United States. I don't think these guardians of the First Amendment do their viewers/listeners any service they just make it seem so.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:27 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,011 times
Check out Jeff Huber's Pen and Sword--he's a retired Naval commander, knows what he's writing about and is funny to boot.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:34 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,495 times
Maybe Tucker Carlson.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:01 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Right...William Krystal, Walter Williams, Newt Gingrich

Left...I'm thinking.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:27 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Buckley is well missed... I think he would have been pretty aghast at the rise of Palin.
I agree, but then again, he was always aghast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies