Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 04:04 PM

346 posts, read 407,756 times

Advertisements

I guess he's too busy still campaigning to worry about how our tax dollars are being spent. Now its off to Europe. Yippee.

"Neil Barofsky, Special Inspector General for the Troubled Asset Relief Program, voiced similar concerns.
He noted that his office just conducted a survey of all 364 TARP recipients on their use of government funds, something they had requested Treasury do, only for the Department to decline to do so except in the cases of Citigroup and Bank of America.
"One thing is clear: complaints that it was impractical, impossible, or a waste of time to require banks to detail how they used TARP funds were unfounded," Barofsky said.
"The survey strongly supports my earlier recommendation to Treasury," he emphasized. "Banks can and should be required to report on their use of taxpayer money to provide maximum transparency and not simply be asked to report on the possible impact of the funds, such as giving only lending activity."
Ranking member Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, said the administration needs to start living up to its promise to increase the program's transparency.
"Unfortunately, despite saying all the right things about open government, the new administration has not made any major changes aimed at making TARP more transparent," he said. "Moreover, I have heard about potential problems with access to information from all three of the oversight bodies testifying."
At this morning's hearing, such problems were emphasized time and time again by Warren. Her Congressional Oversight Panel will release their fifth report on TARP next week.
"As I see it, you really have two options here: either you get Treasury to get some religion on this point -- and put their own standards in place, or Congress is forced to step in," Warren said. "We will do everything we can on your behalf, as your congressional oversight panel, but what we can best do for you now is to identify and pinpoint that this is precisely where the problem starts. And then the problem has roll down effects all the way through the system of lack of accountability, complexity that no one can figure out what's going on, so that we never identify the place where we need to start the solution."

Caught My Eye: TARP Watchdog: 'We Do Not Seem To Be A Priority For The Treasury' - George's Bottom Line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 04:13 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Here's something just released. Haven't had time to see if it says anything.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09504.pdf

Old 03-31-2009, 04:44 PM

707 posts, read 1,021,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
I guess he's too busy still campaigning to worry about how our tax dollars are being spent. Now its off to Europe. Yippee.

"Neil Barofsky, Special Inspector General for the Troubled Asset Relief Program, voiced similar concerns.
He noted that his office just conducted a survey of all 364 TARP recipients on their use of government funds, something they had requested Treasury do, only for the Department to decline to do so except in the cases of Citigroup and Bank of America.
"One thing is clear: complaints that it was impractical, impossible, or a waste of time to require banks to detail how they used TARP funds were unfounded," Barofsky said.
"The survey strongly supports my earlier recommendation to Treasury," he emphasized. "Banks can and should be required to report on their use of taxpayer money to provide maximum transparency and not simply be asked to report on the possible impact of the funds, such as giving only lending activity."
Ranking member Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, said the administration needs to start living up to its promise to increase the program's transparency.
"Unfortunately, despite saying all the right things about open government, the new administration has not made any major changes aimed at making TARP more transparent," he said. "Moreover, I have heard about potential problems with access to information from all three of the oversight bodies testifying."
At this morning's hearing, such problems were emphasized time and time again by Warren. Her Congressional Oversight Panel will release their fifth report on TARP next week.
"As I see it, you really have two options here: either you get Treasury to get some religion on this point -- and put their own standards in place, or Congress is forced to step in," Warren said. "We will do everything we can on your behalf, as your congressional oversight panel, but what we can best do for you now is to identify and pinpoint that this is precisely where the problem starts. And then the problem has roll down effects all the way through the system of lack of accountability, complexity that no one can figure out what's going on, so that we never identify the place where we need to start the solution."

Caught My Eye: TARP Watchdog: 'We Do Not Seem To Be A Priority For The Treasury' - George's Bottom Line

This was first reported on March 11th, so no new news that the oversight fell short from the very beginning, so traveling to Europe has absolutely nothing to do with the delay in oversight. The oversight has been a problem from the beginning according to Paulson, the problem stems from the ability to obtain information. This was before the transition of the new administration. Now the question is, have a new team been put into place to review and or obtain this information.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:25 PM

Default bigmamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
This was first reported on March 11th, so no new news that the oversight fell short from the very beginning, so traveling to Europe has absolutely nothing to do with the delay in oversight. The oversight has been a problem from the beginning according to Paulson, the problem stems from the ability to obtain information. This was before the transition of the new administration. Now the question is, have a new team been put into place to review and or obtain this information.
More defending the ONE. When will you swooners call him to task? Transparency.........remember that? I guess not. What about his website to track the stimulous money? What about him putting up any bill for five days for the public to read before he signs? What about all the tax cheats he's appointed? Has the man done anything right? Well I guess he did wipe his butt with his left hand like a good muslim the first day in the big house.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:37 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
Quote:
More defending the ONE. When will you swooners call him to task? Transparency.........remember that? I guess not. What about his website to track the stimulous money? What about him putting up any bill for five days for the public to read before he signs? What about all the tax cheats he's appointed? Has the man done anything right? Well I guess he did wipe his butt with his left hand like a good muslim the first day in the big house.
Obama is not worried about it. As obama put it quote " the Americans have a attention span this long, as he snapped his fingers".

Old 03-31-2009, 06:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
There hasn't been transparency since the first bailout got passed. Why should anything change now.
Did you think the bankers would come clean ? Did you think the government could possibly keep track of that money when they can't even figure out their own budget ?

That money is gone and will NEVER be accounted for.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:41 PM

Default miborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Obama is not worried about it. As obama put it quote " the Americans have a attention span this long, as he snapped his fingers".
It will take thousands starving in the streets for some of these folks to wake up. As long as they have their xbox and ipod's and cell phones most don't care what the hell is going on.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:46 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
Quote:
It will take thousands starving in the streets for some of these folks to wake up. As long as they have their xbox and ipod's and cell phones most don't care what the hell is going on.
WOW!
You might be right............ Very sad.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
This may come as a shock to you, but the President of the United States has multiple responsibilities, many of which need to be addressed at the same time. It would be irresponsible of him to shirk all other responsibilities until any given issue is resolved to the nation's satisfaction. I don't want a President who personally sits there and regulates TARP expenditures. That's a task that should be delegated to his underlings. He doesn't have to sit in a chair and wait around until they come back with their proposals. He can go do other things while he's waiting.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:59 PM

707 posts, read 1,021,967 times
Quote:

More of your refusal to read and need to immediately go on the attack, did you not see the last part of my post? if not go back and read it, if you have an anwer fine if not shut up. I'm so sick of your rants, even if someone has a question to try and get clarification you go on the attack if the response is not in your usual condoscending attack mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies