Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 10:18 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,214,358 times

Advertisements

Spanish Court Weighs Inquiry on Torture for 6 Bush-Era Officials

By MARLISE SIMONS
Published: March 28, 2009
LONDON — A Spanish court has taken the first steps toward opening a criminal investigation into allegations that six former high-level Bush administration officials violated international law by providing the legal framework to justify the torture of prisoners at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, an official close to the case said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/29/wo...er=rss&emc=rss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 10:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Doesn't seem to mean much. The US seems to think they can do what they want and ignore what rules they don't want to follow.

snippet from your article:
"The United States, however, would be expected to ignore an extradition request for former officials, although other investigations within the United States have been proposed. Calls for the Justice Department to open a criminal investigation have so far been resisted by the Obama administration, but for more than four years, the Justice Department ethics office has been conducting its own investigation into the work of Mr. Yoo and some of his colleagues."

Old 03-28-2009, 10:33 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,214,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Doesn't seem to mean much. The US seems to think they can do what they want and ignore what rules they don't want to follow.

snippet from your article:
"The United States, however, would be expected to ignore an extradition request for former officials, although other investigations within the United States have been proposed. Calls for the Justice Department to open a criminal investigation have so far been resisted by the Obama administration, but for more than four years, the Justice Department ethics office has been conducting its own investigation into the work of Mr. Yoo and some of his colleagues."
Too bad they couldn't go after Cheney. I despise him like you wouldn't believe. It would bring me great satisfaction if I ever learned that Cheney was brought up on charges...

Old 03-28-2009, 10:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Well Duke..I read that article looking for the names and hoped I'd see Cheney's name too. I was disappointed to see they stopped at one of his staff.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:17 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,492,467 times
While it's unlikely that anyone will go to prison over this, simply having their ability to travel freely curtailed--like Henry Kissinger has for many years--would be an incredible symbolic slap in the face for people who dreamt of ruling the world just a few years ago. So we need to do everything to encourage this investigation we possibly can, as well as demanding that our own government open a criminal inquiry.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:20 AM

439 posts, read 617,459 times
We need to bring Obama and his Henchman to trial for destroying this country.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:31 PM

346 posts, read 408,343 times
Default Bush Haters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Spanish Court Weighs Inquiry on Torture for 6 Bush-Era Officials

By MARLISE SIMONS
Published: March 28, 2009
LONDON — A Spanish court has taken the first steps toward opening a criminal investigation into allegations that six former high-level Bush administration officials violated international law by providing the legal framework to justify the torture of prisoners at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, an official close to the case said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/29/wo...er=rss&emc=rss
Bush haters defending terrorists yet again what a shocker. I'm sure your all happy to hear your new hero AG is gonna let the gitmo boys loose in the US and eligible for welfare. I hope they move in next door to you loons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies