Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:13 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times

Advertisements

Please disregard parties. What are you doing that typically wouldn't be done in the average home or workplace to help energy consumption.

I'll start:

Every bulb (over 120) is a CFL of 09-23 watts. 120 HVAC unit's in normal operating condition (preventative maintenance performed) ranges. Upgrading 120 units with energy star rated appliances (conversion). Energy conservation basic training. Upgraded HVAC equipment. 120 unit recycling program. all mercury recycled through the big box stores. timers and motion sensors on all lights where applicable. Water heater turned down as low as possible. Heat only using heat pump in vacants. I would like to hear, no matter how big or small, your contributions to helping the cause. Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 10:18 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
All of our bulbs are CFL, we don't need a/c but, heating can be expensive. We drive only when we need to and combine trips. Our hot water is off of our furnace and is turned down. We have good insulation, new(er) windows and winterize our home. good thread!

Old 03-13-2009, 10:28 PM

Any question I have a little insider knowledge one energy? HVAC/R all that......Thanks for contributing.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:30 PM

If every home in the US replaced one 60 wt incandescent for 1 13 watt CFL that would be the equivalent of taking 800,000 cars off the road.

If you could look at your HVAC coil and see 25% of it clogged. Think of that as 25% increased cost. If only for one month no big deal. If it is allowed over years it rows exponentially.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
When I am using the computer I have all lights off. When I take a shower, instead of doing so with the lights on in the main bathroom area (a total of 8 incandescents), I only have the single light on in the toilet area - I'm virtually showering in semi-darkness. I also walk around in the dark. I know where everything is and I live alone.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
When I am using the computer I have all lights off. When I take a shower, instead of doing so with the lights on in the main bathroom area (a total of 8 incandescents), I only have the single light on in the toilet area - I'm virtually showering in semi-darkness. I also walk around in the dark. I know where everything is and I live alone.

Energy isn't worth death.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:37 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,576,162 times
Nothing...

Don't want light bulbs that are a toxic waste dump waiting to happen... Beside, they last too long and all the workers that make the older lightbulbs will be unemployed...

Driving an SUV... That way I can keep giving money to the guys that hate us, but selling oil to us with a smile! Not to mention can't tell when I ran over one of those cheaper "drives" with high MPG's

Too much "Green" and there is a lot of unemployed people.... Except in China where they make the "Green" lightbulbs... and most of the "Other" Green stuff...

Note: That is sarcasum.....

Old 03-13-2009, 10:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Energy isn't worth death.
I'd probably have the light off in the toilet area were it not for the fact that I like to read in there...

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Please disregard parties. What are you doing that typically wouldn't be done in the average home or workplace to help energy consumption.

I'll start:

Every bulb (over 120) is a CFL of 09-23 watts. 120 HVAC unit's in normal operating condition (preventative maintenance performed) ranges. Upgrading 120 units with energy star rated appliances (conversion). Energy conservation basic training. Upgraded HVAC equipment. 120 unit recycling program. all mercury recycled through the big box stores. timers and motion sensors on all lights where applicable. Water heater turned down as low as possible. Heat only using heat pump in vacants. I would like to hear, no matter how big or small, your contributions to helping the cause. Thanks...
i did a few treads about energy and it did not get much responce... people would rather talk about the democraps vs recrapolians!!!! but ya we use fluorecent bulbs and try to reuse as much as posible... i mulch all the organic debris in the yard nothing organic go's to the land fill.. good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Nothing...

Don't want light bulbs that are a toxic waste dump waiting to happen... Beside, they last too long and all the workers that make the older lightbulbs will be unemployed...

Driving an SUV... That way I can keep giving money to the guys that hate us, but selling oil to us with a smile! Not to mention can't tell when I ran over one of those cheaper "drives" with high MPG's

Too much "Green" and there is a lot of unemployed people.... Except in China where they make the "Green" lightbulbs... and most of the "Other" Green stuff...

Note: That is sarcasum.....
Just for the record. CFL's on average have about 5 mg of mercury. On the other hand thermostats for HVAC systems had somewhere around 200 times that amount. Let's work together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies