Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:58 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I'm in NY. It's not uncommon to see military with guns at the train station so maybe that's why it doesn't faze me as much.
True. People should've seen the soldiers walking around inside and outside of the Pentagon after the attacks of 9-11. I was working there at the time, lots of armed soldiers all over "The Gon" and National Airport, too.

People should pay no attention to fear mongers and hopelessly paranoid types who say or imply that something sneaky is afoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 11:06 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Maybe you didn't live through the urban riots of the 1960's.

The National Guard was deployed to many of our cities, including my hometown of Baltimore. Better to be safe than sorry. Nothing to really see here, just an OP who likes to stir things up with anti-government nonsense.
Again, you misssed the US Army part. Gubmint apologists are trying to explain it away by mere speculation they meant National Guard.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:06 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I'm in NY. It's not uncommon to see military with guns at the train station so maybe that's why it doesn't faze me as much.
Please understand that this occurred in a VERY small town (pop. 2100) where it has been repeatedly stated that everyone knew everyone involved. The Sheriff had even coached the perpetrator in T Ball when he was in 1st grade. The man was obviously mentally unstable. I hate to bring this up, but since it did occurr in Alabama and I know what the rest of the country thinks of us, there was no racial component. The perpetrator and all of the victims were white. And we don't normally see military with guns walking around in very small towns.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Maybe you didn't live through the urban riots of the 1960's.

The National Guard was deployed to many of our cities, including my hometown of Baltimore. Better to be safe than sorry. Nothing to really see here, just an OP who likes to stir things up with anti-government nonsense.
Urban riot != one man with semi auto weapons.

Also, pay attention. It was US Army, not national guard. For apologists to speculate that they meant national guard is nonsense.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i will take law and order any way i can get it. i have seen the opposite.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:10 AM

114 posts, read 180,422 times
For those of us that have lived in a communist regime, we can see that acclimatizing the population to the military, so from experience we know this eventually leads to other abuses. However, to most Americans who have no idea what it is to live in a military state, this is no big deal, and I don't blame them because they believe such things could never happen in America because they been brainwashed all their lives that such things only happen in corrupt countries where the law is not followed; and of course the United States is exempt from such things.
When I tell the story of how my dad was arrested for naively asking a question about the dictatorial government (and he was told on by neighbors), people tell me I must be exaggerating. Were they there when it happened? No. Did they see my dad being arrested? No. But such thing could never happen because they have never lived it, and how can a govt get away with that? So of course, this can never ever happen. Well these things happen, and govts get away with worst.
So sure....having the military on the streets is not a big deal. They are only there to keep us safe from the terrorists. After all---they are american troops and they would never ever break the law.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton74 View Post
For those of us that have lived in a communist regime, we can see that acclimatizing the population to the military, so from experience we know this eventually leads to other abuses. However, to most Americans who have no idea what it is to live in a military state, this is no big deal, and I don't blame them because they believe such things could never happen in America because they been brainwashed all their lives that such things only happen in corrupt countries where the law is not followed; and of course the United States is exempt from such things.
When I tell the story of how my dad was arrested for naively asking a question about the dictatorial government (and he was told on by neighbors), people tell me I must be exaggerating. Were they there when it happened? No. Did they see my dad being arrested? No. But such thing could never happen because they have never lived it, and how can a govt get away with that? So of course, this can never ever happen. Well these things happen, and govts get away with worst.
So sure....having the military on the streets is not a big deal. They are only there to keep us safe from the terrorists. After all---they are american troops and they would never ever break the law.
Well spoken! My family grew up in a formerly very wealthy empire of Austria-Hungary. After WWI, the communists took over and murdered many of the monarchary supporters or anyone not sympathetic with the proletariat. Then the fascists came in and killed all the communists. Then, the communists came back in (again) and killed anyone who questioned their authority. All of these changes in government happened in the span of 30 years time.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:21 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton74 View Post
I had an incident happen to me when visiting Russia about 10 years ago on a NASA business trip. We saw a bunch of young soldiers shoveling snow from a sidewalk. I pulled out my camera to take a picture of them and one of the soldiers posed for a picture. We were almost immediately surrounded by other soldiers with guns and detained. After more than an hour we were released after I gave my film to them. The only thing we could conclude was they did not like that a picture was taken of a young soldier goofing off.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:42 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
So it was a local Sheriff's dept in Alabama that directly call the Fed Government for help after Katrina? I believe that would have been the Governor who requested help. If you look back at the post I was replying to, they asked if a local sheriff could directly ask for help from the Feds if they felt "overwhelmed".

governor can call for national guard support.

act of congress is supposed to be needed for US army to be deployed.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Doesn't matter. The military is not justified in policing its own citizens.
Ahhh, not to disturb you with facts but does the use of the armed service during Little Rock, Kent State, Katrina, etc. etc. etc. even ring a bell with you? This is NOT something new at all. Nice try though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies