Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:08 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,043,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The best book I ever read!

Bush used it as his economic policy manuel!!!

Only, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 08:15 AM

362 posts, read 778,606 times
LOL, most of those people look like they shouldn't have a job, LOL. did you see the tattoos on that lady, right on her hands, not a good look for a job interview, unless it's McDonald's they're still hiring.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Bushvilles have been popping up all over the country for the last couple of years. It's the occupants own fault for living in them. All they need to do is get jobs and move out if they don't like living there.

The best thing we could do for them is send them all copies of "Nickled And Dimed" so they can see how to live on minimum wage incomes when they get their new jobs.

Damn. I hate a bunch of whiners. Let them eat cake.

Do you think the poor will go away? Because you are one of them and have sore feelings does not make it different.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:39 AM

38,496 posts, read 26,013,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
Do you think the poor will go away? Because you are one of them and have sore feelings does not make it different.
??????

Yes we will always have the poor, but that is no excuse to ignore them. My brother was a staunch Conservative Republican who listened to Limbaugh religiously. That was before he had to take an early retirement from General Motors. GM will most likely go bankrupt leaving him without pension or health benefits at the age of 53! He is only one of 3500 retirees from just one area of the country!

He now sees a very different point of view, especially of Limbaugh and obstructionist Republicans such as Shelby! He has 10 years mortgage left on his home and may lose that too. He has been going everywhere looking for work but the unemployment rate in over 13% in the area here. BTW, he was a highly skilled journeyman at GM.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:36 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,777,800 times
My parents have always been the 'just in case' people. When the going was good, they put their house on a 15 year accelerated mortgage program so they could get their house payment out of the way. My dad heard rumors that diesels would have to be smogged soon (he's a mechanic in CA) so he ALWAYS keeps his smog cert up to date. Now, diesels in CA will have to be smogged so he'll never be out of work. He always buys cars with good resale values (he has a Harley, Nissans and Toyotas) and he and my mom spend fairly frugally. They have planned well and now don't even worry about the recession. My dad provides smogs, my mother works in elderly healthcare (people will ALWAYS grow old) and they're very well set.

I'm impressed by them and as long as I try and do what they do, I will never end up in a tent city. Some of these people ran into bad luck I'm sure, but I'd bet that most made some really stupid decisions.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My parents have always been the 'just in case' people. When the going was good, they put their house on a 15 year accelerated mortgage program so they could get their house payment out of the way. My dad heard rumors that diesels would have to be smogged soon (he's a mechanic in CA) so he ALWAYS keeps his smog cert up to date. Now, diesels in CA will have to be smogged so he'll never be out of work. He always buys cars with good resale values (he has a Harley, Nissans and Toyotas) and he and my mom spend fairly frugally. They have planned well and now don't even worry about the recession. My dad provides smogs, my mother works in elderly healthcare (people will ALWAYS grow old) and they're very well set.

I'm impressed by them and as long as I try and do what they do, I will never end up in a tent city. Some of these people ran into bad luck I'm sure, but I'd bet that most made some really stupid decisions.
I'd be very proud of your parents if I were you. Looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree (one of my fav old sayings).

Old 03-09-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
??????

Yes we will always have the poor, but that is no excuse to ignore them. My brother was a staunch Conservative Republican who listened to Limbaugh religiously. That was before he had to take an early retirement from General Motors. GM will most likely go bankrupt leaving him without pension or health benefits at the age of 53! He is only one of 3500 retirees from just one area of the country!

He now sees a very different point of view, especially of Limbaugh and obstructionist Republicans such as Shelby! He has 10 years mortgage left on his home and may lose that too. He has been going everywhere looking for work but the unemployment rate in over 13% in the area here. BTW, he was a highly skilled journeyman at GM.
Ignore the poor? I did not say to ignore the poor. I give to the poor. I respect the poor. I help the poor.

You do know the record of conservative vs. liberal charity? Liberals talk a big game, but don't, on average, GIVE. Oh, they want the GOVT to take care of the poor, but personally...not so much.

Your brother sounds like a goof. To change political views because your lot in life has changed is childlike. He has come home to liberalism, the teat that will feed him now that the UAW teat has dried up. Here is a tip for him: MOVE OUT OF THAT SESS POOL. That is reality. Not that he or you is a big fan of reality.

Well, reality is here. In the name of hopenchange. How is it working out for you?

Old 03-09-2009, 03:53 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,777,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
I'd be very proud of your parents if I were you. Looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree (one of my fav old sayings).

My parents are absolutely amazing. Their knack for planning ahead and reading 'signs' is uncanny, really. Their marriage works like a business too, which is very impressive. Now, they get to go on vacations in their new motorhome (technically used, but they got it for an AMAZING price because the old owners didn't plan properly and spent out of their means) and don't really have to worry about finances.

Hopefully in the next 10 years (or less) I'll be a homeowner and won't have to worry about tent cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies