Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 08:21 PM

9,204 posts, read 6,497,501 times

Advertisements

I think I read about this before. Maybe the OP is thinking along the lines of "A Modest Proposal for Preventing the Children of Poor People from Being a Burthen to their Parents, or the Country, and for Making them Beneficial to the Publick," published in 1729

This treatise has some very interesting proposals to solve the problems caused by too many poor people having too many children. Maybe the OP thinks these should be adopted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 11:16 PM

37,222 posts, read 42,550,170 times
They are part of the circle of life, humanity itself, and a necessary part of any healthy society. I assume your city is part of society.

Old 11-02-2022, 03:47 AM

7,749 posts, read 3,824,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I was just wondering what do families with children do to benefit cities.

The average per-pupil cost of education nationally is $8,287 in 2003-2004 nationally. A vast majority of that was from local property taxes and state aid to education.

In New Jersey that number is $12,981, New York $12,930, DC $12,801 and these are 2003-2004

www.census.gov

No wonder a property tax crisis is going on in much of the country!

I was wondering with all this talk about property taxes why should cities approve housing that increases property taxes on people who dont have kids.

Personally, I think cities should approve mainly 55+ senior communities and condo and apartment buildings to deter people with kids from moving into communities and raising the property taxes.

In the future, I think places with low birth rates and small school-aged populations will be in far better shape then places with high-birth rates where education spending causes spending from everything else to decline and taxes to skyrocket.
Property tax crisis is not children’s fault, it’s the fault of the corrupt liberals that have broken the blue states and made them completely unaffordable. They have placed the highly powerful teachers unions in control and most of the money goes to these impoverished districts. it’s just waste money, and throw more money at the failing schools and it never even solves anything as proven when Mark Zuckerberg give millions of dollars to the Newark school district. None of that money benefited any students and most of it went to labor costs. So if you don’t like your high property taxes then move out of your horrible blue state and make sure to never vote for a Democrat ever again. I live in a red state. I’ve visited most of the schools in the state and they are in beautiful condition and are run much better than the ones in New Jersey. We enjoy extremely low property taxes and the schools are just fine . in fact when I lived in New Jersey, in a very elite school district paying astronomical property taxes, the schools always had their hands out for more money. in my red state, it’s a fraction of what the New Jersey schools were asking for. There is one notable difference, and that is in the teachers parking lot you will not find all the exotic vehicles like I saw in New Jersey. imagine that

Old 11-02-2022, 07:55 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,819,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Property tax crisis is not children’s fault, it’s the fault of the corrupt liberals that have broken the blue states and made them completely unaffordable. They have placed the highly powerful teachers unions in control and most of the money goes to these impoverished districts. it’s just waste money, and throw more money at the failing schools and it never even solves anything as proven when Mark Zuckerberg give millions of dollars to the Newark school district. None of that money benefited any students and most of it went to labor costs. So if you don’t like your high property taxes then move out of your horrible blue state and make sure to never vote for a Democrat ever again. I live in a red state. I’ve visited most of the schools in the state and they are in beautiful condition and are run much better than the ones in New Jersey. We enjoy extremely low property taxes and the schools are just fine . in fact when I lived in New Jersey, in a very elite school district paying astronomical property taxes, the schools always had their hands out for more money. in my red state, it’s a fraction of what the New Jersey schools were asking for. There is one notable difference, and that is in the teachers parking lot you will not find all the exotic vehicles like I saw in New Jersey. imagine that
Florida isn’t exactly affordable now either and it is not a blue state. Meanwhile Texas is not a blue state and still has high property taxes.

As to the OP’s complaint, go to a place like The Villages or that area in FL and there are complaints about a lack of medical care there. You can imagine that this is likely because the people actually providing the medical care are younger folks with children who actually want amenities like good schools and other activities that are relevant to them and not just the 55+ community. The reality is that a city can’t function without workers, most of whom are going to be of the age to bear and raise children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies