Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:42 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,567,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
If you don't deem that "argument" deserving of a proper response, it might be better to say nothing so as not to appear unable to respond.
Yeah, I was going to do that, but now that you mention it, the post in question in this case was not deserving of any proper response. It was just another lame litany of discombobulation. We get a lot of that garbage around here. He was merely adding to the pile and was fortunate to have escaped with as little ridicule as he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 07:44 AM

617 posts, read 2,078,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Again, he didn't write it.
I don't care who wrote it, only that it's there and should be debated.

Quote:
When I see obvious bogosity, I don't ignore it, I prefer to expose it. If you choose to ignore, that's your call.
You didn't expose anything but your own inability to debate the issues.

I saw the clips of Barney Frank and Chris Dodd scolding someone in a Congressional hearing who dared to point a finger at Freddie and Fannie. I watched that online last year and I'm still waiting to hear one of them say that they were wrong. Or if not, explain why they were not wrong.

Right now, I don't believe that either party has the answer. I say hold a new election and fill the white house and cabinet with Donald Trump, Wayne Rogers, Charles Payne, Steve Forbes, Ben Stein, Dave Ramsey and maybe throw in Gates and Jobs for fun. Politics (both sides) got us into this mess and I'm certain politicians will only make it worse.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You are exactly right, but you left out Jimmy Carter and the CRA, which was at the root of the mortgage/scandal/crisis.
The CRA had absolutely nothing to do with it. But feel free to keep putting that big letter "L" in the middle of your forehead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
But these leftists don't have any regard for truth or facts. Facts and truth get in the way of thier agenda. They would rather people be ignorant and believe that the culprit is conservatism, and more importantly Capitalism.
No, there are various elements of capitalism that are good. It is the stupid right-wing form of it that is bad. That would be the one that you seem to be such a fan of...

Old 03-07-2009, 07:49 AM

1,375 posts, read 2,394,085 times
I'm sad to say that I recognize myself in these posts.
I was 17 when I started to have doubts about the
hermetically sealed world I was living in. I don't just
understand you, I was you.
Embrace your inner Republican.
Come out of the closet
set yourselves free.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
I saw the clips of Barney Frank and Chris Dodd scolding someone in a Congressional hearing who dared to point a finger at Freddie and Fannie. I watched that online last year and I'm still waiting to hear one of them say that they were wrong. Or if not, explain why they were not wrong.
You've been had. That video is spliced and edited to make it appear to be what it is not. You don't even know who the scoldee was. That's not much, right there. Go read. Go learn. You are way behind the curve.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Yeah, I was going to do that, but now that you mention it, the post in question in this case was not deserving of any proper response. It was just another lame litany of discombobulation. We get a lot of that garbage around here. He was merely adding to the pile and was fortunate to have escaped with as little ridicule as he did.
I've been keeping up. The ridicule just looks childish in the face of his calm, well thought out responses. He's sticking around to defend his points, but the opposite side just throws insults, like calling his comments "garbage" or a "lame litany of discombobulation." You can tell me that the grass is green and I can tell you that you're blind as a bat but my silly insult doesn't prove you're wrong.

I walked away from all political talk before the November election because I was tired of people resorting to this kind of childish behavior instead of intelligent debate. I'm trying to understand our current financial problem by reading here and I find that the insults are still being flung.

These responses are the written equivalent of sticking out your tongue and calling your opponent stupid. You haven't proven your point, only your weakness.

Last edited by scorpy01; 03-07-2009 at 08:07 AM..

Old 03-07-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
You've been had. That video is spliced and edited to make it appear to be what it is not.
Documentation on this? If this is true, surely a reliable source has published the story. I'd like to read it.

Quote:
You don't even know who the scoldee was. That's not much, right there. Go read. Go learn. You are way behind the curve.
Who was the "scoldee"? I admitted to seeing the video last year. I didn't make a mental note of all the details but I understood the gist of the clip.

Your curt response is an obvious attempt to talk down to me but it only serves to further prove my point that those who can't debate intelligently will resort to this type of behavior. Shame on you.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:08 AM

32,962 posts, read 19,641,588 times
Quote:
You've been had. That video is spliced and edited to make it appear to be what it is not. You don't even know who the scoldee was. That's not much, right there. Go read. Go learn. You are way behind the curve.
Hearing from September 2003 on an administration proposal to alter the regulation of GSEs like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. See Congressman Barney Frank's opening statement, which begins at 4:40. It's rather amusing. Here's an excerpt of his opening statement:

I want to begin by saying that I am glad to consider the legislation, but I do not think we are facing any kind of a crisis. That is, in my view, the two government sponsored enterprises we are talking about here, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, are not in a crisis. We have recently had an accounting problem with Freddie Mac that has led to people being dismissed, as appears to be appropriate. I do not think at this point there is a problem with a threat to the Treasury.

I must say we have an interesting example of self-fulfilling prophecy. Some of the critics of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac say that the problem is that the Federal Government is obligated to bail out people who might lose money in connection with them. I do not believe that we have any such obligation. And as I said, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy by some people.

So let me make it clear, I am a strong supporter of the role that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac play in housing, but nobody who invests in them should come looking to me for a nickel--nor anybody else in the Federal Government. And if investors take some comfort and want to lend them a little money and less interest rates, because they like this set of affiliations, good, because housing will benefit. But there is no guarantee, there is no explicit guarantee, there is no implicit guarantee, there is no wink-and-nod guarantee. Invest, and you are on your own.

Now, we have got a system that I think has worked very well to help housing. The high cost of housing is one of the great social bombs of this country. I would rank it second to the inadequacy of our health delivery system as a problem that afflicts many, many Americans. We have gotten recent reports about the difficulty here.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have played a very useful role in helping make housing more affordable, both in general through leveraging the mortgage market, and in particular, they have a mission that this Congress has given them in return for some of the arrangements which are of some benefit to them to focus on affordable housing, and that is what I am concerned about here. I believe that we, as the Federal Government, have probably done too little rather than too much to push them to meet the goals of affordable housing and to set reasonable goals. I worry frankly that there is a tension here.

The more people, in my judgment, exaggerate a threat of safety and soundness, the more people conjure up the possibility of serious financial losses to the Treasury, which I do not see. I think we see entities that are fundamentally sound financially and withstand some of the disastrous scenarios. And even if there were a problem, the Federal Government doesn't bail them out. But the more pressure there is there, then the less I think we see in terms of affordable housing.

btw the scoldee was Franklin D. Raines

Old 03-07-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Hearing from September 2003 on an administration proposal to alter the regulation of GSEs like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. See Congressman Barney Frank's opening statement, which begins at 4:40. It's rather amusing. Here's an excerpt of his opening statement:

I want to begin by saying that I am glad to consider the legislation, but I do not think we are facing any kind of a crisis. ... And even if there were a problem, the Federal Government doesn't bail them out. But the more pressure there is there, then the less I think we see in terms of affordable housing.

Thank you for the answer.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:12 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,475,984 times
Talking Bogus, followed by bogosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

I want to begin by saying that I am glad to consider the legislation, but I do not think we are facing any kind of a crisis. That is, in my view, the two government sponsored enterprises we are talking about here, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, are not in a crisis. We have recently had an accounting problem with Freddie Mac that has led to people being dismissed, as appears to be appropriate. I do not think at this point there is a problem with a threat to the Treasury.

I must say we have an interesting example of self-fulfilling prophecy. Some of the critics of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac say that the problem is that the Federal Government is obligated to bail out people who might lose money in connection with them. I do not believe that we have any such obligation. And as I said, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy by some people.

So let me make it clear, I am a strong supporter of the role that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac play in housing, but nobody who invests in them should come looking to me for a nickel--nor anybody else in the Federal Government. And if investors take some comfort and want to lend them a little money and less interest rates, because they like this set of affiliations, good, because housing will benefit. But there is no guarantee, there is no explicit guarantee, there is no implicit guarantee, there is no wink-and-nod guarantee. Invest, and you are on your own.

Now, we have got a system that I think has worked very well to help housing. The high cost of housing is one of the great social bombs of this country. I would rank it second to the inadequacy of our health delivery system as a problem that afflicts many, many Americans. We have gotten recent reports about the difficulty here.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have played a very useful role in helping make housing more affordable, both in general through leveraging the mortgage market, and in particular, they have a mission that this Congress has given them in return for some of the arrangements which are of some benefit to them to focus on affordable housing, and that is what I am concerned about here. I believe that we, as the Federal Government, have probably done too little rather than too much to push them to meet the goals of affordable housing and to set reasonable goals. I worry frankly that there is a tension here.

The more people, in my judgment, exaggerate a threat of safety and soundness, the more people conjure up the possibility of serious financial losses to the Treasury, which I do not see. I think we see entities that are fundamentally sound financially and withstand some of the disastrous scenarios. And even if there were a problem, the Federal Government doesn't bail them out. But the more pressure there is there, then the less I think we see in terms of affordable housing.

Again, you're posting cut-and-paste quotes as if they were your own words.

Use quotastion marks and include a link to the source, if you can figure out how to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies