Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:24 AM

48,502 posts, read 97,025,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Midwestern red states are highly dependent of the farming subsidies that the government gives them.
Or you think that they buy those huge F-250 just by selling hay and corn?
And what is trhe biggest cash crop i California that pays for all those california trucks?a slight hint;iit isn't corn and it might explain what the legislature is on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 10:39 AM

18,152 posts, read 25,368,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Regarding your comment that you lived in California 30 years ago, I lived in Kansas City at that time, but wouldn't profess to be an expert on the economy in Missouri...
Interesting comment,
since Kansas' largest city (Kansas City) is 1/3 in Kansas and 2/3 in Missouri.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:46 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,268,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Interesting comment,
since Kansas' largest city (Kansas City) is 1/3 in Kansas and 2/3 in Missouri.
Actually, it isn't. Not to digress off of topic, but there are two Kansas Cities, each with a separate mayor (Mark Funkhouser (MO) and Joe Reardon) and city council.

Last edited by NewToCA; 03-06-2009 at 11:11 AM..

Old 03-06-2009, 11:08 AM

50,516 posts, read 47,300,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
There isn't a single San Diegan who would agree with you on that one.
Considering that I LIVE HERE IN SAN DIEGO, I'm a much better authority than you are. Downtown San Diego (the Gaslamp) was a cesspool of junkies, prostitutes and drunks. Now it's filled with high-end real estate, fancy restaurants, botiques and galleries. Yeah, it's so much worse now.

It's also called "Rose-colored glasses". When I look back at my time living in New Hampshire or New Orleans, I see only the positives, but I left those places for many reasons and most of them were negative. 30 years can cloud a lot of memories, especially those of how nice a place was.
Well, here's one. San Diego is not a better place on a lot of fronts. The Illegal Alien issue is completely out of hand. The City is also upside down financially due to closed door handshakes between groups of Govt employees (Pension) that had no tax payer blessing. I see no way out but bankruptcy.
The traffic is now horrendous at any time considered rush hour due to poor planning.
We got our clocks cleaned on the stadium deals. You cannot smoke nor drink at any parkor beach anymore and I remember not that long ago we used to camp right on the beach! Fishing is about to be closed down to a fraction of what it used to be, heck even just to play in the local mts you have to pay a rediculous bunch of fees! And crime, don't even think about owning a nice truck as there is a good chance they'll find it stripped in the desert after hauling a load of Illegals back across. The schools are packed with ESL students, the first gen of Illegal Alien parents.
I sit with my kids up to two hours a night just to keep then on top of their homework since the teachers have to devote so much time to kids whose parents aren't supposed to live here. Housing is still so expensive here hardly anyone can afford to buy a house. Then there is the drought brought on by too many people moving here. We are starting to be plagued by urban sprawl just like LA. The citizens and employees are now at each other's throats over pensions, pay and fees! Since there is no money you have to have an SUV just to drive on our crummy streets. There is the battle over the stupid seals and the battle over the cross. Then there is the war over where the stupid airport should be even if we have no money to pay for it. We have to get a waiver every year since our sewer system isn't up to code, that one has got to run out some time.
I still love San Diego but it sure hasn't changed for the better. I'd gladly take a roll back of 30 years.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:26 PM

563 posts, read 1,452,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
And what is trhe biggest cash crop i California that pays for all those california trucks?a slight hint;iit isn't corn and it might explain what the legislature is on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies