Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:01 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
and is now 16,086.41.

Thought it would be interesting to revisit some terrific (sar) predictions of economic calamity.
Great find, I always love it when the right wingers do these end of the world threads and then history proves them wrong. Actually what is even more funny is that the OP does this from when Obama is elected and not after he took office, which means in 11/04/08 Bush was still in control and the Dow Jones was falling fast under his watch....though most people understand that the president alone has little effect on the Dow Jones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 08:02 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
LMAO take away QE the entire house of cards falls. Remember about 3-4 months ago when the fed mentioned stopping QE and the market dived? Re-read the article again.. It's over inflated.. If the Feds could stop QE they would have long ago..

You knuckle heads are something else.. Give my business 80 billion a month and I'll show you one hellva profit!
Sure, I remember - it was a few hundred points, which is a pretty small percentage (and it bounced back in fairly short time). Back in April however - the first time tapering looked like it would happen soon, gold got CRUSHED - dropping about 20% (and never DID bounce back).

Tell me again how it's STOCKS that's supported by the taper rather than GOLD.

Will stocks fall when taper happens? Sure, maybe by 5-10% or so, but nothing really significant considering the major gains it's made over the last 5 years (more than DOUBLING- and climbed over 15% this year ALONE).

And I DID re-read the article. It said nothing of the sort. Show me where it says that (show me the quote).

Ken

Old 12-01-2013, 08:04 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Correlation does not necessarily equal causation.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
QE might taper if unemployment drops and/or inflation kicks in significant amounts.

How do you envision QE giving business $80B a month? QE's are asset swaps. And almost all the related money is sitting accumulating dust in the Feds and member bank accounts.
Yeah, most of the wingnuts on this board have NO CLUE what QE even IS.
It most certainly is NOT "giving business $80B a month".

Ken

Old 12-01-2013, 09:43 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Funny, the same folks who were the first to slam Obama for a crashing market will be the last to give him credit for the massive gains thereafter. Housing is recovering too, but he is still singlehandedly sending the country down the drain!

Old 12-01-2013, 10:08 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
The problem I have is lack of guts. The OP should have come back to this thread when the DJ hit an all time high and owned up to the innaccuracy of their assumptions.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:13 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Funny, the same folks who were the first to slam Obama for a crashing market will be the last to give him credit for the massive gains thereafter. Housing is recovering too, but he is still singlehandedly sending the country down the drain!
The only thing Obama has done for the market is to print $86 billion a month and injecting it into a market. We are seeing an inflated market because of QE. How do you think the market would react if that money was to stop? Would it continue to climb or would it pop? IMO, it's a bubble waiting to burst once the QE ends.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
The only thing Obama has done for the market is to print $86 billion a month and injecting it into a market. We are seeing an inflated market because of QE. How do you think the market would react if that money was to stop? Would it continue to climb or would it pop? IMO, it's a bubble waiting to burst once the QE ends.

Nonsense. Many sectors have not benefited from QE at all, and still are enjoying record earnings. My corp is one, while we are private, our operating profits would have analysts buzzing if we were publicly traded. Driving our price ever higher.

Stock prices are super, with few sectors not rocking.

I hate to be the bearer of good news, and spoil your day. But it is the truth.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Again, it's the same old nonsense from you folks. The QE money is NOT "going into the market". The vast majority of of that "money" is simply "sitting in the bank". There IS a bit of an impact on the market - but it's essentially a "psychological" impact rather than an actual financial impact since that $86 billion a month is NOT "going into the market". There has been so much bullsh*t spread about what QE actually is (mostly by gold hawkers trying pump up the value of what they sell) that lots of clueless people like yourself are completely deluded about what's likely to happen when QE actually ends.

Ken

Old 12-03-2013, 01:24 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Oh the QE money IS going to corporations....just in the form of credit expansion...

Lord Ken and Hoonose and their cult of big bank advocates are simply trying to win a game of semantics...

An Ode to George Bailey, Credit in a Banking-less World and How Much QE Is Enough | The Spellman Report

"credit expansion is taking place via securities rather than bank loans"

Great read...and it buries Lord Kenneths rhetoric.

It lays out how QE actually IS money being handed out (without it being called "money")...And how there is hyper focus as to where the propping up occurs.

But you keep defending the "buy junk bonds...cash the bankers out....stick the working stiff" shell game, guys.

Bow down to your masters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies