Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 10:26 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times

Advertisements

Apparently Chris Dodd has a bigger backbone than Obama's lackluster protection of taxpayer against corporations... his cap on executives goes right to the heart of corruption and WAY beyond what Obama offered... Thank You Chris Dodd!!

Stimulus amendment puts tough limits on executive pay - CNN.com

excerpt from link

• Firms taking more than $500 million from TARP would be required to restrict compensation paid to the 20 top-earning employees and other key executives. For companies getting $250 million to $500 million from TARP, that includes senior executives and the top 10 earning employees. The number of affected employees would go down from there for companies taking less than $250 million from TARP.

• Severance payments known as "golden parachutes" for senior executive officers or the next five most highly compensated employees would be banned at companies receiving TARP funds, ending those often sizeable severance payments for departing executives.

• Top executives at TARP-funded firms would be barred from receiving bonuses exceeding one-third of their annual salary. For many top executives, that would mean a dramatic reduction. The Wall Street Journal cited as an example the 2007 compensation of Bank of America Corp. CEO Kenneth D. Lewis, who was paid a salary of $1.5 million that year, but actually earned a total of $16.4 million including a bonus, stock-option awards and restricted stock. At the same salary level, Lewis' 2009 compensation would be restricted to about $2.25 million under the Dodd provisions, the Journal said.

• The secretary of the Treasury must review past compensation paid to the top 25 employees of TARP recipients and seek reimbursements "if those payments were contrary to the public interest or inconsistent with the purposes of the [stimulus package] or the TARP," according to Dodd's statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 10:28 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Apparently Chris Dodd has a bigger backbone than Obama's lackluster protection of taxpayer against corporations... his cap on executives goes right to the heart of corruption and WAY beyond what Obama offered... Thank You Chris Dodd!!

Stimulus amendment puts tough limits on executive pay - CNN.com

excerpt from link

• Firms taking more than $500 million from TARP would be required to restrict compensation paid to the 20 top-earning employees and other key executives. For companies getting $250 million to $500 million from TARP, that includes senior executives and the top 10 earning employees. The number of affected employees would go down from there for companies taking less than $250 million from TARP.

• Severance payments known as "golden parachutes" for senior executive officers or the next five most highly compensated employees would be banned at companies receiving TARP funds, ending those often sizeable severance payments for departing executives.

• Top executives at TARP-funded firms would be barred from receiving bonuses exceeding one-third of their annual salary. For many top executives, that would mean a dramatic reduction. The Wall Street Journal cited as an example the 2007 compensation of Bank of America Corp. CEO Kenneth D. Lewis, who was paid a salary of $1.5 million that year, but actually earned a total of $16.4 million including a bonus, stock-option awards and restricted stock. At the same salary level, Lewis' 2009 compensation would be restricted to about $2.25 million under the Dodd provisions, the Journal said.

• The secretary of the Treasury must review past compensation paid to the top 25 employees of TARP recipients and seek reimbursements "if those payments were contrary to the public interest or inconsistent with the purposes of the [stimulus package] or the TARP," according to Dodd's statement.
Chris Dodd is a Democrat. Congress is crafting the bill, not Obama.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:31 PM

Did you forget Obama's plan for the future banking bailout? Its convenient to forget... these additions go way beyond what Obama wanted... even you can't deny that... and yes, I know Dodd is a democrat... I am not blind to ideology... I seek what is right regardless of whether it comes from the left or right... I am not like you who thinks that "good" only comes from the left...

Old 02-14-2009, 10:36 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
I would appreciate it if you would refrain from assumption about where I think "good" comes from. It might interest you to know that I have voted Republican in my lifetime. Back when "Republican" meant something very, very different than what it means today.

No, I have not forgotten Obama's ideas for the bailout. The fact that Democratic senators and representatives, however, are willing to say "No" to Obama should tell you something not only about those senators and representatives, but should also tell you something about Obama.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:40 PM

If someone was willing to go against their party and say "No" to Obama... I would say that person had guts... as for what that says about Obama, we'll that all depends on the issues... as for this issue, executive compensation... Obama's plan was pretty pathetic... this plan has a lot more teeth in it... taxpayers shouldn't be pushovers... Dodd made sure of that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies