Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:56 AM

673 posts, read 4,073,759 times

Advertisements

I was wondering when a state runs a surplus is it ever appropriate to return it to the tax payers or should the state spend it on infrastructure and corperate subsidies.

Personally, I think spending surpluses on K-12 education isnt right as that they should be funded by local districts.

I do think that surpluses how ever should always be used for corperate subsidies, higher-education and infrastructure improvements and never tax cuts at the state level.

Alot of times these refunds that states do when they have surpluses are spent with-in a month and if all those resources went into infrastructure impovements, higher-education and tax-increment financing it would serve the public good much better and its effects would be felt for much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 02:17 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,506,587 times
What state surpluses? Ha ha! They're hiding out with the Federal surpluses! Ask Northern NJ residents about K-12 spending on local school districts. The Republican congressman didn't want to vote yes on the Tax Plan because his constituents had an average $21,000 tax bill. What state do you live now in that runs these surpluses ...Nebraska or Ohio?

Old 11-20-2017, 02:19 PM

18,077 posts, read 27,533,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I was wondering when a state runs a surplus is it ever appropriate to return it to the tax payers or should the state spend it on infrastructure and corporate subsidies.

Personally, I think spending surpluses on K-12 education isn't right as that they should be funded by local districts.

I do think that surpluses however should always be used for corporate subsidies, higher-education and infrastructure improvements and never tax cuts at the state level.

A lot of times these refunds that states do when they have surpluses are spent within a month and if all those resources went into infrastructure impovements, higher-education and tax-increment financing it would serve the public good much better and its effects would be felt for much longer.
There. Now I can read it and examine.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-20-2017 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 11-20-2017, 02:33 PM

21,216 posts, read 19,835,136 times
I think only those surpluses that exceed a certain percentage of the state budget, say 5 to 10%, should be refunded. Otherwise they should be kept for a rainy day fund and/pr credit to the next busget.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:35 PM

45,290 posts, read 26,541,776 times
"Of course not. Our wages firstly belong to the state, we are only entitled to whats left over after it satisfies its needs" - John Q Taxvictim

Old 11-20-2017, 02:50 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,016,782 times
Actually, Colorado received more money then projected from marijuana taxes and we actually had a vote on whether or not we should get the overage refunded to us on our state taxes. This would have returned on average 10 bucks to each person. The refund was voted against and the state kept the money for other projects.

Colorado allowed to spend marijuana tax money, as voters reject refunds – The Denver Post

Old 11-20-2017, 02:50 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,080,374 times
To my knowledge, very state is required to have a balanced budget. Some do it with smoke and mirrors. Prudent states take surpluses, or at a part of them and stick them in a rainy day fund. I like the rainy day fund approach better.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:00 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,641,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Actually, Colorado received more money then projected from marijuana taxes and we actually had a vote on whether or not we should get the overage refunded to us on our state taxes. This would have returned on average 10 bucks to each person. The refund was voted against and the state kept the money for other projects.

Colorado allowed to spend marijuana tax money, as voters reject refunds – The Denver Post
I voted for them to keep the surplus. I think it would have resulted in $6 refunded back to each tax payer.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:06 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,733,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I voted for them to keep the surplus. I think it would have resulted in $6 refunded back to each tax payer.
Same here. I seem to remember they had run several reports stating it would cost them more to send the checks than the surplus was worth as well?

Old 11-20-2017, 03:12 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,016,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I did the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies