Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:25 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,492,377 times

Advertisements

Eternity is a long time. I would:

• Travel the world and photo-document every city on Earth;
  • Go to different college multiple times and earn degrees in various fields;
  • Work a variety of jobs in different countries;
  • Do a bunch of different drugs, smoke a pipe (I am assuming I can't die, right?);
  • Read a lot of books and memorize them (become a walking library);
  • Learn every language on Earth;
  • Climb the top ten highest mountains on Earth;
  • Hike across every continent (including hiking from the Aleutians to Tierra del Fuego and (not or) from the tip of Siberia to Cape Good Hope);
  • Learn to swim;
  • Learn to fly (a plane);
  • Be a vegetarian for a month;
  • Learn how to cook big time and become a Top Chef (master Spam recipes);
  • Be homeless for a year (in order to appreciate being at the top of the world, one must know what it is like to be at the bottom;
  • Post the longest post on city-data...
  • The list goes on...

That's what I'd do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 12:33 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,933,192 times
Playing ball with every dog I've owned during the course of my entire life (thus far)

I'd never get tired of that, and they could take turns napping, eating, etc.

All of the nonsense out there doesn't exist as long as you can be in a room or in a park with a ball and a happy dog.

Doesn't sound like much, especially when you're talking about eternity, but it's just about the best thing in the world.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:01 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times
I already think I'm pretty close to quittin' time.

By the way, what age would I be through this eternity. If I have to be my prsent age, I ain't goin'.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:01 AM

164 posts, read 240,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Eternity is a long time. I would:

• Travel the world and photo-document every city on Earth;
  • Go to different college multiple times and earn degrees in various fields;
  • Work a variety of jobs in different countries;
  • Do a bunch of different drugs, smoke a pipe (I am assuming I can't die, right?);
  • Read a lot of books and memorize them (become a walking library);
  • Learn every language on Earth;
  • Climb the top ten highest mountains on Earth;
  • Hike across every continent (including hiking from the Aleutians to Tierra del Fuego and (not or) from the tip of Siberia to Cape Good Hope);
  • Learn to swim;
  • Learn to fly (a plane);
  • Be a vegetarian for a month;
  • Learn how to cook big time and become a Top Chef (master Spam recipes);
  • Be homeless for a year (in order to appreciate being at the top of the world, one must know what it is like to be at the bottom;
  • Post the longest post on city-data...
  • The list goes on...
That's what I'd do...
Your version of eternity seems alot like winning the lotto.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:00 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,415,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MildManneredBruceWayne View Post
OK I got my answer, inspired by kdbrich; I'd like to spend eternity serving God (hope he exists ..minor detail!) as an angel or muse or spirit or pixie or whatever you call those fairy-like creatures that supposedly intervene on God's behalf. I'd like that; to do God's menial chores like you know, moving the clouds around, working the tides, talking to the trees, whatever the Boss wants. He wants a storm over Indonesia?. He's got it!. If it makes the Big Guy happy it can't be too bad right?

I would like to spend eternity getting to know the mind of God to whatever degree that is possible. The scripture tells me that God is unique, timeless and omnipresent. I know from my own personal experience that he is merciful to those, like myself, who rebel against him. I've also learned first hand that he is in the adoption business as well as the detective business, plus he has a wonderful sense of humor. But why does he bother with us in the first place? Furthermore, Why has he so clearly and undeniably revealed himself to me and apparently not at all to you?

Old 12-06-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
I would not want to suffer in the lake of fire forever. but to sit at a throne for all time singing "how great thou are" maybe worm food aint so bad. my wish would be to travel as a spirit all of the universe seeing all that has been kept from us to know. the sights and sounds unknown would be a final experience.

An odd desire for someone who seems to have rejected the very first step in that process of discovery.

"Now if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to everyone generously without a rebuke, and it will be given to him. But he must ask in faith, without any doubts, for the one who has doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. Such a person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. He is a double-minded man, unstable in all he undertakes."

James 1:5-8

Old 12-06-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I would not mind spending an eternity is a state of happiness, and enough to be to the benefit of all those I come in contact with.

I think you're on to something. I agree that if you can be the bright spot in someone's day, generally speaking, you'll be happy in your own life regardless of circumstances.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:39 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,360,444 times
Please, someone, explain why you think there is an "I" to spend eternity doing anything? Are you talking about your ego (ok, the guy who wants the blonde is certainly talking about his ego, what about the rest of you?)

Old 12-06-2008, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I already think I'm pretty close to quittin' time.

By the way, what age would I be through this eternity. If I have to be my prsent age, I ain't goin'.

As angels in heaven is a close to an answer on age as I got. Sounds good to me though.

"For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as angels in heaven."

Matthew 22:30

Old 12-06-2008, 09:25 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,249,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Making love to a beautiful blonde on a beach.
You will both also need a big dose of eternal cosmic energy.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies