Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 04:29 PM

7,024 posts, read 11,439,375 times

Advertisements

The border between El Paso (population: 600,000) and Juárez (population: 1.5 million) is the most menacing spot along America's southern underbelly. On one side is the second-safest city of its size in the United States (after Honolulu), with only 15 murders so far in 2008. On the other is a slaughterhouse ruled by drug lords where the death toll this year is more than 1,300 and counting. "I don't think the average American has any idea of what's going on immediately south of our border," says Kevin Kozak, acting special agent in charge of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement's office of investigations in El Paso. "It's almost beyond belief." Juárez looks a lot like a failed state, with no government entity capable of imposing order and a profusion of powerful organizations that kill and plunder at will. It's as if the United States faced another lawless Waziristan—except this one happens to be right at the nation's doorstep.

The drug war in Juárez escalated dramatically at the start of the year when the Sinaloa cartel—which originated in the Pacific state of the same name—began trying to muscle in on the Juárez cartel's turf. The focus of the fight, which has also drawn in the formidable Gulf cartel, is the city's prized "plaza," or drug-smuggling corridor. Mexican President Felipe Calderón responded to the turmoil by dispatching 3,000 balaclava-clad soldiers and federal police to the state of Chihuahua, where Juárez is located, earlier this year. Yet the narcotraffickers, with their vast arsenal of high-powered weaponry, haven't shied from taking them on. (Or trying to buy them off: the cartels have infiltrated virtually every law-enforcement institution in the country, from local police departments to the Mexican attorney general's office.) The result has been an orgy of violence, growing more public and more spectacular by the day. Beheadings, burnings, dismemberments and mutilations have become routine.

Bloodshed on the Border: Drug War in Juarez | Newsweek International | Newsweek.com

Long but detailed, worthwhile read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 04:46 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,243,871 times
I just read that whole article: I hate to say this; but, it may take an atrocity in El Paso to goad Washington towards really sealing the border.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:41 PM

7,024 posts, read 11,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I just read that whole article: I hate to say this; but, it may take an atrocity in El Paso to goad Washington towards really sealing the border.
I'm not so sure anything short of one of their family members or friends being tragically murdered or victimized by an illegal alien will result in getting them to pay close attention to what is really happening in this country. Obama's cabinet appointments indicates that he gets all of his information and updates from LaRaza's website .

Old 11-30-2008, 04:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,908,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
They've had them but they just downplay them. A few years ago, a drug lord from Mexico was assassinated right on I-10 and of course the hitmen got away. One of the House of Death killings was against a guy they sent to make a deal at an El Paso Whataburger downtown. No big deal.

It won't matter. There are those that want an open border at any cost, they've got that and will do whatever it takes to keep it that way. It's all about cheap labor and of course big drugs profits and other contraband.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,908,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I'm not so sure anything short of one of their family members or friends being tragically murdered or victimized by an illegal alien will result in getting them to pay close attention to what is really happening in this country. Obama's cabinet appointments indicates that he gets all of his information and updates from LaRaza's website .
The very wealthy and connected families of Juarez are moving over in very large numbers to El Paso, including the mayor of Juarez who now lives in El Paso. Nothing at all prevents their cartel enemies from following them over.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:43 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,505,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The very wealthy and connected families of Juarez are moving over in very large numbers to El Paso, including the mayor of Juarez who now lives in El Paso. Nothing at all prevents their cartel enemies from following them over.
I hope that fact prompts Homeland Security to beef up its federal dollars to support the various agencies that have kept El Paso one of the safest cities in the country.

It really is sad to see what's going on in Juarez, when that city, as well as our own, have potential as two of the largest powerhouses of industry in the continent.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:59 AM

5,402 posts, read 12,696,743 times
but i thought el paso was a cess pool of illegals!!!! how can it be so safe!?!?!?

as for the article. TJ just south of SD,CA is pretty bad also. 9 decapitated bodies turned up yesterday. do i get scared? na, i aint in TJ, and i aint running drugs to the US. DRUG cartel violence will most likely never touch me. and i know people who are affiliated. but it still wont touch me. not if i keep doing things the way i do.

anyhow, is this forum about border issues like trafficking, gangs and drugs, or is it about immigration?

why is this even here? its a border issue, sure, but not nec. an immigration issue.

i nominate this be moved to the controversies forum!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 11:59 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,790,969 times
Sadly the other posts here are correct. It will probably take a horrid drug-terrorist attack, a massacre, to make Washington act, and by necessity it will have to be a big attack. However, even at that stage, as we are seeing with other international terrorist groups, there will be those that against all reason, against all rational thought will CONTINUE to press for "tolerance" understanding, openness, patience, sanctions and negotiations. There will continue to be those infected with the Stockholm Syndrome who will argue for the terrorists, the drug mafias the gangs at every opportunity, no matter how brutal the attacks.
Rational people will continue to suffer and will continue to be bombarded with rationalistic gibberish from the left, who themselves will argue endlessly that the terrorists are only "misunderstood freedom fighters" and that the south of the border drug gangs are "just simple people struggling to eke out a living" and every other conceivable trite and baseless fabrication thinly disguised as a valid argument all in an attempt to do nothing to STOP the violence and SOLVE the problems.
Again, as we've seen in Mumbai, and in Juarez, the violence will continue until the roots are cut.
The next attack is a matter of when and where, not if.....

Old 12-01-2008, 12:24 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,243,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Sadly the other posts here are correct. It will probably take a horrid drug-terrorist attack, a massacre, to make Washington act, and by necessity it will have to be a big attack. However, even at that stage, as we are seeing with other international terrorist groups, there will be those that against all reason, against all rational thought will CONTINUE to press for "tolerance" understanding, openness, patience, sanctions and negotiations. There will continue to be those infected with the Stockholm Syndrome who will argue for the terrorists, the drug mafias the gangs at every opportunity, no matter how brutal the attacks.
Rational people will continue to suffer and will continue to be bombarded with rationalistic gibberish from the left, who themselves will argue endlessly that the terrorists are only "misunderstood freedom fighters" and that the south of the border drug gangs are "just simple people struggling to eke out a living" and every other conceivable trite and baseless fabrication thinly disguised as a valid argument all in an attempt to do nothing to STOP the violence and SOLVE the problems.
Again, as we've seen in Mumbai, and in Juarez, the violence will continue until the roots are cut.
The next attack is a matter of when and where, not if.....
More and more I think about it: the Zetas and friends may have missed the boat in any attempt of mayhem against innocent Americans here in the USA.

The hostility here is growing by leaps and bounds against anything illegal immigrant related and since most of them originate from Mexico--------an attack here in the USA would have grave repercussions up to and including the possible physical destruction of Mexico.

Few people seem to realize that a cultural trait of an Anglo Saxon based culture is slow to anger; but once enraged--------look out!

Old 12-01-2008, 01:16 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,293,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
but i thought el paso was a cess pool of illegals!!!! how can it be so safe!?!?!?

as for the article. TJ just south of SD,CA is pretty bad also. 9 decapitated bodies turned up yesterday. do i get scared? na, i aint in TJ, and i aint running drugs to the US. DRUG cartel violence will most likely never touch me. and i know people who are affiliated. but it still wont touch me. not if i keep doing things the way i do.

anyhow, is this forum about border issues like trafficking, gangs and drugs, or is it about immigration?

why is this even here? its a border issue, sure, but not nec. an immigration issue.

i nominate this be moved to the controversies forum!!!
It shows us how evil Mexicans are. So we know who the "enemy" "invading" our country is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies