Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 05:33 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,439,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You really don't know to much about what all is involved in running a hospital do you?
You're referring to the cost? Well there's a problem there.....at one time they were run mostly by charitable organizations and there was no need for insurance because medical bills were affordable....for the same reason, since profitability wasn't a factor, the quality of care given was not an issue either. My father got in a car accident in the early 40's....he broke both legs and an arm. He had to stay in traction throughout his entire recovery so that his leg would heal properly (it broke again as soon as they let him try to walk on it) so, he ended up confined to a hospital bed for 6 months. My grandfather was an immigrant from Italy that work at Mac trucks hardening transmission gears (by no means a wealthy man). When it came time to pay the bill he was able to pay for it with cash....that's how affordable staying in the hospital for 6 months was at one time. Now I realize technology was primitive then compared to now and legal matters didn't exist like today but, considering the fact that we're talking about 6 months and not a week or two, something has gotten way out of proportion.

Now for where the problem comes into play today....with the price of the technology, hospitals are mostly non-profit organizations or for profit corporations today....either way both are concerned with profit. To explain why, go here:

EzraKlein Archive | The American Prospect

The bottom line is hospitals don't compete for business the way just about any other business has to....they don't have to convince a patient to do business with them....they don't have to appeal to a consumer. That should help when it comes to quality (so that maximizing profit doesn't interfere with quality) but, there's got to be some kind of middle ground so that the cost for services provided has some kind of competition to answer to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 06:26 PM

387 posts, read 678,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
And what are all the great solutions to healthcare the Democrats have offered?

By the way, do you all REALLY think that turning American healthcare into a giant VA Hospital is the way to go?

I'll admit that I don't know what the solutions are, and that American healthcare is out of balance right now, but let's stop being stupid about it.

Also, people like the author of the OP link need to start being HONEST and talk about 50 million Americans without PRIVATE health insurance. Of those 50 million, I'd venture a guess that the vast majority are on MA, etc. - so they really DO have health care coverage. It's just that they're not paying for it.
The VA system is a lot more like the HMO system most of us get. I would propose a more market-driven solution like the one Canada has, where hospitals and doctors compete for patients in the free market.

As for your "guess" -- no, you're dead wrong. Pun intended:

NCHC | Facts About Healthcare - Health Insurance Coverage (http://www.nchc.org/facts/coverage.shtml - broken link)

Many of them can't get health insurance because they have pre-existing conditions.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:59 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,493,839 times
Quote:
There is no "health care crisis", just a way to pay for it. You people make it sound as if there are no Doctors out there.

It you want a UHC system so bad, go and spend a day or two at a VA hospital.

It may give you an idea of what you may get.

Leave the system alone and find away to fund it for those that can't afford it..

You may open up a big bag of worms if you aren't careful.
I didn't say I supported UHC (at least, Canadian/UK style) but you can't deny that some serious tweaking is in order. My friend was denying that there was any need to even tweak the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies