Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 09:10 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,497,828 times

Advertisements

According to Venezuela’s government, the election of Barack Obama as president is the latest step in a revolutionary process that began in … Caracas.

“This historic election of an African American to lead the most powerful country in the world is a sign that the era of change which has taken root in South America could be reaching the doorstep of the United States,” Venezuela’s foreign ministry said in a statement released on Wednesday.

Indeed, just weeks after expelling Patrick Duddy, the American ambassador to Venezuela, in a speech using expletives to refer to Americans, President Hugo Chávez is asserting that he is prepared to improve relations with the United States.

“From now on, I am sending signals to the black man,” Mr. Chávez said in televised comments earlier this week.

Venezuela Signals to Obama - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

I don't have a good feeling about this, .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 09:14 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times
What don't you have a good feeling about? Better dialog with a nation that is one of the largest suppliers of petroleum to the United States?

Old 11-08-2008, 09:28 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,549,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
What don't you have a good feeling about? Better dialog with a nation that is one of the largest suppliers of petroleum to the United States?
I would have to agree. What's there to feel uneasy about? Just about every world leader has given their "insight" into the election of President-Elect Obama. It's no secret Chavez is hated by the Bush family as he's thumbed his nose at the US for a long time- primarily because his got enough black gold that he can do that.

I'm surprised we've yet to hear Hu (China's Prez) comments on the election.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:30 AM

470 posts, read 1,163,113 times
What's the big deal about chavez anyways, is he really that big of a national security or just some nutjob in control of a country (and more importantly an oil producing country)

Old 11-08-2008, 10:35 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Because he has a ego the size of Venezuela who taunts and talks down on Americans in general and thinks that our election choices are because of him?

The fact that he says he will talk to this "blackman" instead of calling him president speaks alot about the fact that he has racism also.And those that don't realize racism is rampant in South America and Cuba despite whatever they say..

Old 11-08-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Because he has a ego the size of Venezuela who taunts and talks down on Americans in general and thinks that our election choices are because of him?

The fact that he says he will talk to this "blackman" instead of calling him president speaks alot about the fact that he has racism also.And those that don't realize racism is rampant in South America and Cuba despite whatever they say..
and he's also part black (chavez),

Old 11-08-2008, 10:50 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilF87 View Post
and he's also part black (chavez),
Which if he is has nothing to do with the fact,and if he is half black and is courting favor because Obama is half black that is still a sign of racism.

I will tell you for a fact having lived in Miami for a long time where hispanics are a vast majority hispanics and blacks hate each other for the most part.I remember talking years ago to a hispanic Miami PD officer who called blacks N*****'s every second word out of his mouth when we were talking about crime in overtown.

I witnessed the Elian Gonzalez saga where blacks (and whites) had signs saying "once less Cuban,a million more to go"

Old 11-08-2008, 10:55 AM

470 posts, read 1,163,113 times
Quote:
Which if he is has nothing to do with the fact,and if he is half black and is courting favor because Obama is half black that is still a sign of racism.

I will tell you for a fact having lived in Miami for a long time where hispanics are a vast majority hispanics and blacks hate each other for the most part.I remember talking years ago to a hispanic Miami PD officer who called blacks N*****'s every second word out of his mouth when we were talking about crime in overtown.

I witnessed the Elian Gonzalez saga where blacks (and whites) had signs saying "once less Cuban,a million more to go"
Hispanics (mexicans, south americans, etc..) are racist against their own if they not white skinned. I see alot of these in my culture unfortunately. Ever watch the novelas in the hispanic channels, you would think it was in spain or something.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:56 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times
Quote:

Well I have never really understood all the fuss over Chavez really. So he taunts us, calls us names, flips us the bird... yeah, so. He is an over bloated egocentric with delusions of grandeur and this is a threat to the United States how? Despite tensions between our two countries, I suspect he will continue to sell his oil that is the basis for much of his populist bravado and popularity. Do you think he will turn off the tap to his own source of power?

I see the situation with Chavez much like the one we had with Castro, where the desire for revenge was great and the grudge so deep that we were willing to squander political capital to perpetuate the situation for some twisted illogical desire to keep a boogyman in our pocket to pull out anytime we needed people to be afraid of something.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:

That's true.

Alot of blacks are racist towards other hispanics, but i don't see it when i'm out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies