Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 02:32 PM

43,851 posts, read 51,579,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Look, as I see it you have four choices:

1: Keep whining & do nothing
2: Change your cost of living to a more acceptable level
3: Actively work to change the government
4: Move to another country

You obviously choose to live in the USA. That choice comes with tax obligations, whether or not you think they're fair. If you really have a problem with them, then you've got those choices up there to work with. Otherwise...you're just whinging.
I know we come from opposite sides of the political spectrum, but you sure do come up with a lot of posts that just make GOOD SENSE. This post is one of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 03:53 PM

13,053 posts, read 13,019,624 times
Quote:
No, more like "how about living reasonably within your means"?
I think many people do, yet you seem to ignore the fact of increasing taxes. This is the problem. Many people take steps to get away from the idiocy of the "get the government to force my will on the people" type of mentality.

For instance, I left California where the cost of living was increasing yearly through state taxes, fees, and regulation which only continued to force higher and higher expenses yet the wage index was staying in a negative relation to that growth in expense.

Now I live in a much better state, yet even here the "what can papa Gov give me" or the "I think people should be taxed because I don't like xyz" or the "people should have to pay for program A because I like it" have started slowly leaking into the system pushing for more and more which requires more taxes and fees.

People say "SUV's are evil" and so they come up with ideas to "tax" and "fee" people to death in order to get them to change. Look at California and their stupid "bring your own bag" program. There is no logic behind supporting continued use of paper over plastic, no logic to the implementation of their program, but they have forced people to do something or "pay a 25 cent" tax for each paper bag they use.

Again, more personal push using the government as its bully. People have found out that they can use the government to get their way, to get their pay, to enforce their will on others. So they continue to vote for politicians who promise them all their greedy demands in order to get power of their own. People think politics is corrupt, many of the people voting in the country are just as corrupt.

So, people are being forced to pay more and more taxes, more and more fees and it is turning them into nothing but servants to the majority who dictate their will. Something the founders warned us of. People are voting themselves money and power to control others.

We can move as my wife and I did. We can "live within our means" which my wife and I have always done, yet as time goes on people keep asking for more and more. They aren't happy with opurtunity, they want to be given something. Need a raise? Vote for Bill who will raise the taxes on the rich and hand you a paycheck. Hate people who drive SUV's? Well, vote in a tax and regulation on them to force them to change or make money on their decision.

In the end, this mentality is spreading everywhere. Funny how a lot of the "liberals" are moving to better cost of living states, those "conservative" states and then pushing for all the stupid things that made their old home unaffordable.

People are not left to succeed on their own. They are told they must spend to fast track others to success. I mean, how insenitive it is to expect people to succed on thier own, we must tax them and force them to accept our enlightend way, after all, its best for people.

We are slowly eroding the entire core of what this nation stood for. People don't care though, they are too busy getting their peice of the pie, too busy using the system as their own hammer to get to people they dislike or disagree with.

We can take all of the options to allow us to survive, but as I said, even then those options won't be enough and trying to get the government to reign in its habits is like trying to convince a bunch of greedy self interested people that they shouldn't be getting money in the mail for what they didn't earn. It isn't going to happen.

So, all we have left is... what? Leave the country? Not an option. If it ever gets to that point, you can bet your life there will be war. As it stands now, the founders would have already started one a long time ago.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:57 PM

713 posts, read 1,873,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
It all costs money. The roads the SUV goes down...the licensing or other oversight that keeps those kids from being cared for all day by sexual predators...the list goes on and on. Then there's that $100K to start out with. On average about $20K worth of it came directly or indirectly from government. Everybody complains about taxes...but nobody's willing to give up all the income and free services that they receive in exchange.
I'm more than happy to give up all the income and free services that I don't get in exchange if it means lower taxes.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:00 PM

713 posts, read 1,873,573 times
Quote:
Look, as I see it you have four choices:

1: Keep whining & do nothing
2: Change your cost of living to a more acceptable level
3: Actively work to change the government
4: Move to another country

You obviously choose to live in the USA. That choice comes with tax obligations, whether or not you think they're fair. If you really have a problem with them, then you've got those choices up there to work with. Otherwise...you're just whinging.
SuSu,

With your attitude that government should get whatever it wants and the individual must make the sacrifices and do with less, perhaps it is YOU who should move to another country? Cuba comes to my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies