Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 AM

556 posts, read 821,578 times

Advertisements

I don't claim to be an expert or anything, but I believe either everything would get much more expensive over night or many people would lose their jobs. Production is finite. If you want people to have more stuff you have to produce more stuff. This is one of the main reasons I believe the pro living wage arguments are nonsense. Why stop with a living wage? Maybe we should all have cell phones, three story houses and Ferraris. Some people might suggest that if we set a living wage we should try to pass another law simultaneously, setting salary caps on other segments of the population, paying the other laborers less than they're worth. The intent of such a law might be to divert labor from production of luxuries to production of low income housing and so on, since the people who got capped would have less to spend. I think this would also have negative consequences.

You might want to pick up a copy of Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt. It's easy to read and provides plenty of examples. It also has chapters on wage laws and price-fixing. From the preface, "This book is an analysis of economic fallacies that are at last so prevalent that they have almost become a new orthodoxy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 11:38 AM

5,495 posts, read 12,292,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
I don't claim to be an expert or anything, but I believe either everything would get much more expensive over night or many people would lose their jobs. Production is finite. If you want people to have more stuff you have to produce more stuff. This is one of the main reasons I believe the pro living wage arguments are nonsense. Why stop with a living wage? Maybe we should all have cell phones, three story houses and Ferraris. Some people might suggest that if we set a living wage we should try to pass another law simultaneously, setting salary caps on other segments of the population, paying the other laborers less than they're worth. The intent of such a law might be to divert labor from production of luxuries to production of low income housing and so on, since the people who got capped would have less to spend. I think this would also have negative consequences.

You might want to pick up a copy of Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt. It's easy to read and provides plenty of examples. It also has chapters on wage laws and price-fixing. From the preface, "This book is an analysis of economic fallacies that are at last so prevalent that they have almost become a new orthodoxy."

Well, in theory, haven't we already seen this? Fannie and Freddy pushing people who couldn't afford homes into them because it was their "right" to the American Dream. What was the result? Skyrocketing housing costs and values, and the eventual implosion of the whole deal.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:51 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,895,276 times
if someone is making $6.50 an hour working a job, they are getting a living wage. they are paid a wage, and they are alive. hence, living wage.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:28 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,557,628 times
In theory, there is no need for any inflation to occur at all. You are merely affecting the shares of return on the production of GDP. There are just four...

GDP = W + R + I + P

W = Wages, which are the return to labor. R = Rent and I = Interest, each of which is a return to capital. P = Profits, which is the return to entrepreneurship.

Introducing a living wage would require that one of two things occur. First, relative wage rates could change, such that the total for W remained constant, while some income earned by high-wage workers was diverted to low-wage workers in order that they could earn a living wage. Second, relative wage rates could remain constant, while the total for W increased so as to bring low-wage workers up to a living wage. This would require one or more of R, I, and P to be reduced.

In the real world, the labor share of GDP (namely, W) has been declining since Bush took office, this after rising over the latter half of President Clinton's term. A substantial part of the recent decrease in W has gone over to P. There has been little if any inflation caused by this. The process could be reversed with the same effect.

Last edited by saganista; 10-31-2008 at 02:02 PM..

Old 10-31-2008, 01:11 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,485,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
what would the US look like if it was mandated, by law, that every full time working person in the US was paid a living wage for their area.

As an example, a burger flipper at BK would prob make in the 50's in San Fran

how would that effect this country?
If you look at it from an economic perspective, places like BK would shut their doors in San Fran. area. For one, the cost associated with giving an average worker 50K for a low skilled position wouldn't be worth it. They'd have to offset their cost somehow by either firing workers, and/or cutting cost in other ways in addition to increasing the cost of the food which in itself would decrease sales. Americans are driven by low prices, we want as much food as possible for the least amount of money. Increase cost (according to economics principles) would more than likely decrease demand... which would have a rippling effect.

If this was done on a mass scale it would essentially effect everyone. For example, why is food cheaper in many parts of the midwest vs. California? The cost of living is higher in California so, we don't pay the same for a gallon of milk as they do in the Midwest - the pay scale is different so someone has to pay for that difference.

Ultimately, we can support forced living wage increases but it's naive for anyone to think that the consumer isn't the one who ultimately pays for it. We can see it in union grocery stores that pay better wages vs. non-union grocery stores (pay attention to the prices, there is a difference - non-unions stores tend to be cheaper... can you guess why?). It just comes down to cost - if you increase the labor cost, eventually the prices will rise to make up for it.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:14 PM

4,975 posts, read 9,541,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
if someone is making $6.50 an hour working a job, they are getting a living wage. they are paid a wage, and they are alive. hence, living wage.

Burger King isnt a livable wage. It is a job for teens, college students, and second incomes. I worked at Burger King in high school and took as many hours as I could get.

If you can live off 6.50 an hour, more power to you, but you should aspire to something more.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:17 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,895,276 times
people who make $6.50 an hour are alive. they make a living wage. if you make minimum wage and you are in your 30's, then there is a problem. only time I ever made minimum wage or less was waiting tables and delivering pizza in college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Burger King isnt a livable wage. It is a job for teens, college students, and second incomes. I worked at Burger King in high school and took as many hours as I could get.

If you can live off 6.50 an hour, more power to you, but you should aspire to something more.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:04 PM

43,851 posts, read 51,447,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
That same BK burger would cost $11.99, not $1.99
EXACTLY!

It makes no difference if my wage goes up if everything I need in life goes up even higher. Then I'm just back where I started and nothing has been accomplished.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:16 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,392,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
what would the US look like if it was mandated, by law, that every full time working person in the US was paid a living wage for their area.

As an example, a burger flipper at BK would prob make in the 50's in San Fran

how would that effect this country?
No one could afford to eat fast food at the price they would have to chrge.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:18 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,718,520 times
with all respect to your post, laws do not bring labor equity, labor unions do that.
how long before my countrymen catch on to this simple fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies