Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:05 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times

Advertisements

Originally posted by Park Twain
Quote:
Objective journalism has never existed. What America needs is skeptical and inquisitive journalism. Those tend to be traits of journalists with a "liberal" political bias. This is news to you?

Thank you. Very well said. And to add to your statement I would ask whatever happened to the real investigative journalist? They seem to be an extinct breed of journalist which not that long ago flourished. The old days of real journalism where reporters really put themselves into the thick of the situation to get as much of the real story as they could are over. The Central News Agency controls most of what we see as far as world events and global news goes. We see what we are meant to see and no more. If you really think we get the whole story from our new agencies you are dead wrong. They who control the flow of information control the world. We cannot be given to much information, it is not in the best interests of those who mean to rule us. Thus true investigative reporting has nearly vanished and we all get fed the same old scare news and propaganda on a daily basis.

In closing, I would say to everyone that yes, you should worry about some of the things you see on the news. There are valid news stories about all kinds of things that really do warrant public attention. But just remember, it is the news they are not reporting we should really be worrying about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 08:15 PM

330 posts, read 1,197,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Originally posted by Park Twain

Thank you. Very well said. And to add to your statement I would ask whatever happened to the real investigative journalist? They seem to be an extinct breed of journalist which not that long ago flourished. The old days of real journalism where reporters really put themselves into the thick of the situation to get as much of the real story as they could are over. The Central News Agency controls most of what we see as far as world events and global news goes. We see what we are meant to see and no more. If you really think we get the whole story from our new agencies you are dead wrong. They who control the flow of information control the world. We cannot be given to much information, it is not in the best interests of those who mean to rule us. Thus true investigative reporting has nearly vanished and we all get fed the same old scare news and propaganda on a daily basis.

In closing, I would say to everyone that yes, you should worry about some of the things you see on the news. There are valid news stories about all kinds of things that really do warrant public attention. But just remember, it is the news they are not reporting we should really be worrying about.
Great post!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:19 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
I just have one question, based on hypothetical for the sake of avoiding debate. Just a question.

If McCain were elected President this year, would anybody know?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:30 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,352 times
If John McCain were elected president, I could see some liberals in San Francisco committing suicide by jumping off the golden gate bridge.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:33 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
I think all media tends to lean left, not because they don't like republicans, but because protection of the first amendment is a more liberal ideal. If you want the truth in news, you want lack of censorship, and that is a democratic ideal. As a result, news orgainizations lean that way. I don't mind it too much, as long as they are straight forward about it. MSNBC is admittedly Democratic. Fox News meanwhile, acts as though they are "Fair and Balanced" and the sad thing is that people believe that. I watch CNN, because they tend to always have one republican and one democrat that are equally matched sparring on the issues, and otherwise, Wolf Blitzer is not easy to see putting any kind of spin on a story.
If you think CNN is unbiased, your objectivity just went out the window. Yes, they have people talking about both parties, but they are talking about the positive of Obama and the negative of McCain. To get a middle of the road, one has to watch more than one channel. I prefer watching the event when it happens. I learned more from a news panel talk in 1/2 hour the other day than I had in the entirety of these other sources. I thoroughly enjoy watching congress in action. Yes, a little acting is going on there too.

I am more than a little tired of the campaigning going on and the opinions expressed on CNN and MSNBC and FOX. Give me the straight facts and I will decide for myself what I feel about it. That is not the job of the news reporter.

Editorials should be identified as such. There are different laws governing an editorial comment and the reporting of news. A person expressing an editorial can be sued for the content. News is just news and is not declared to be true, or so my teachers taught me.

I think we are getting a lot of editorials under the heading of news. It is biased and wrong. I am talking in general here on many news levels.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:10 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,309 times
Objective journalism over the last several decades has increasingly become overrun by sensationalism and the need to entertain or shock the audience. This is done in large part to increase advertising revenue. The need to create headlines out of the minutiae observed in the newspapers and television media contrasts sharply when compared to the news you see in magazines such as the American conservative or the christian science monitor. Many journalists are expected to shock and awe the audience with sloganeering and soundbites designed to give the impression that theirs is the story of the century. Unfortunately, people with their busy schedules are caught hook, line and sinker with this adtalk/newsspeak. An example, what used to be refered to as natural cyclical bull/bear markets is now the financial crisis of the century. Oh well what can you expect when a recent poll of university journalism students here in Canada were asked what their dream job would be and 53% of those responsed with, to become the next jon stewart/ stephen colbert.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:06 AM

30 posts, read 127,510 times
This is an interesting news feed! Here in Palo Alto, journalists use various mediums in order to portray information. We recently started using soundslides, which allows us to slideshow pictures with podcast accompaniment. You can view one of our samples at:
Paly Voice: Soundslides: Spirit Week 2008, Day Two (http://voice.paly.net/view_story.php?id=7273 - broken link)

Old 10-24-2008, 01:44 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
It moved to the internet after the MSM got sold to the highest bidder (Murdoch).

Old 10-24-2008, 01:53 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,075,966 times
Journalism died during this election. I have no respect for any news media and newspaper or magazine.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:08 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
There haven't been any real journalists out there for a while now.

What we have now are "anchors", people who have shows, and commentators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies