Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 06:10 AM

4,543 posts, read 6,818,740 times

Advertisements

All major networks repeat Anna Nicole Smith and Britney Spears shaving her head as major news.

Don't we value reporting on any real issues in America?

I can't stand it anymore. Pop culture is killing the Land of Opportunity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 10:06 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,191,317 times
It is pretty nutty, isn't it?

At night, at least around here, we get 1/2 hour of national news and one hour of entertainment news. (Access Hollywood and Extra.)

Personally, I think the national news is more important.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:33 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,062,952 times
I love pop culture as much as the next person, perhaps more; I am a veritable font of useless trivia.
However, I recognize the difference between it and national affairs.
The Anna Nicole thing was very sad but I could not get too worked up about it; Brittney and her homies are probably headed down that same path.
Regardless, Brittney shaving her head is so not news and this breathless infotainment about her, Paris, Lindsay and their latest hijinks is a bit ridiculous.
The days of Walter Cronkite and Huntley-Brinkley are over, that's for sure.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:38 PM

19 posts, read 27,396 times
Default sadness ... and confusion ...

Hi
I rarely ever want to give my 2 cents (or get on a soap box), but I have been really confused and saddened with the state of our media and the potential effect on our society. Recently, I have been staying with some family who have the TV on much of the day - (often Fox news). Previously, I have watched almost no TV in 5-10 years. All I can say is OMG!! !

I have to admit to being very confused with my own place in this world right now (and TV doesn't seem to be helping), but I humbly feel that we as a world are starting to recognize the effect that the things (TV, computer, music, etc) with which we surround ourselves are very likely to impact the day to day life we lead more than most of us recognize (google "Messages from Water" for some eyeopeners). If we want "safety, happiness, peace, etc." maybe we are learning not to choose to use our strongest tool (TV or computer) in a way that contradicts what we "say" we desire. Just think of how many of us on these forums say we desire to have a safe place to live with low crime and no gangs, where people are friendly and life is not so hectic, etc ... Yet, often the media is "teaching" the exact opposite of what we say we desire (MTV, etc) and yet, the media is ... well ... us.

I guess that in a way, now that I have been watching some TV lately, some things make more sense - I see why our education system is fighting an uphill battle sometimes - schools usually hope to teach things like compassion and unity, acceptance and peacefulness, discipline and cooperation, while sometimes the TV/computer teach something kinda different ... drugs, gangs, crime, sex, arrogance, etc. - thank you to the parents and educators who keep fighting the "battle " anyway .

I'm not sure why Brittany shaving her head is news, but Brittany going to the park and playing on the swings with her kids likely wouldn't get noticed. Its still Brittany, right? She is attractive and talented, but why do we only get to see the "rebellious" things she does. Do we all have an infatuation with "scandal"? Do we only care if it gets our adrenaline going? Does the media just convince us we should care about all of this stuff? ... I really don't know ...??? I'm gettin' a migrane just thinkin' about it ...

Anyway, I don't think I've really made any points here, but thanks, Linc, for starting this one, and thanks for a chance to let out some of my confusion and sadness. Maybe I'll get my thoughts together and post again later, because I think its kinda imporant (maybe I'll watch some TV first ...).

While I don't know what to do to change things (and I kinda feel bad because I usually don't talk/vent if I don't have a better plan - my apologies), I guess when I have a new place (hopefully soon), I will be grateful to my family for a temporary place to stay and I will not really miss the TV and computer - perhaps I will need to do some sort of detox or go into rehab ...

best wishes and thanks again. serene

Old 02-17-2007, 02:25 PM

4,543 posts, read 6,818,740 times
There should be an alternative. Back in the late 70s early 80s Connecticut had PM Maganine which focused on positive local stories. In NH they have something similar its called New Hampshire Chronicles. This program is in the 7:30 time slot. I love it when I'm in NH because it least I can find out something interesting about real people doing real things. My whole family including my 8 and 10-year olds enjoy watching it together.

I don't want to hear trauma and drama when it comes to the news. I'd like to see an objective presentation (if that is still possible). I'm not really interested in what bizarre behavior the Hollywood stars are engaging in now or hearing their opinions of our society's issues. I'd also like to see a balance of the good things that are happening as well.

Maybe if we reported some of the good things that regular people do then our children will not see it as so unusual.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:35 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,424,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
All major networks repeat Anna Nicole Smith and Britney Spears shaving her head as major news.

Any way you look at it, it's all baddddd. You've got real issues like Iraq and other national news that makes it look like the world is ending. Then you've got pop culture which makes it look like the world is ending. Strangely they kinda mirror each other. I'm sorry but I find it hard to care about anything nowadays. I just wanna have fun and be happy, because I know....I know...

Old 02-17-2007, 02:39 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,485,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post

It's called the dumbing down of America. And it's sure working.

I was at the gym this morning, and one of the TVs in my line of sight had Faux News- and the bulk of the hour I was doing cardio was on Britney shaving her head, Anna Nicole Smith, and the astronaut. The thing is, I know the other networks are just as bad. Somehow, real reporting of real world events has been deemed far less important than turning our news broadcasts into Entertainment Tonight.

And the elites who own the media are laughing all the way to the bank. Anything they can do to help us keep our eyes off the ball, they'll do...

Old 02-17-2007, 02:43 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,485,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serene View Post
Hi
I rarely ever want to give my 2 cents (or get on a soap box), but I have been really confused and saddened with the state of our media and the potential effect on our society. Recently, I have been staying with some family who have the TV on much of the day - (often Fox news). Previously, I have watched almost no TV in 5-10 years. All I can say is OMG!! !

I have to admit to being very confused with my own place in this world right now (and TV doesn't seem to be helping), but I humbly feel that we as a world are starting to recognize the effect that the things (TV, computer, music, etc) with which we surround ourselves are very likely to impact the day to day life we lead more than most of us recognize (google "Messages from Water" for some eyeopeners). If we want "safety, happiness, peace, etc." maybe we are learning not to choose to use our strongest tool (TV or computer) in a way that contradicts what we "say" we desire. Just think of how many of us on these forums say we desire to have a safe place to live with low crime and no gangs, where people are friendly and life is not so hectic, etc ... Yet, often the media is "teaching" the exact opposite of what we say we desire (MTV, etc) and yet, the media is ... well ... us.

I guess that in a way, now that I have been watching some TV lately, some things make more sense - I see why our education system is fighting an uphill battle sometimes - schools usually hope to teach things like compassion and unity, acceptance and peacefulness, discipline and cooperation, while sometimes the TV/computer teach something kinda different ... drugs, gangs, crime, sex, arrogance, etc. - thank you to the parents and educators who keep fighting the "battle " anyway .

I'm not sure why Brittany shaving her head is news, but Brittany going to the park and playing on the swings with her kids likely wouldn't get noticed. Its still Brittany, right? She is attractive and talented, but why do we only get to see the "rebellious" things she does. Do we all have an infatuation with "scandal"? Do we only care if it gets our adrenaline going? Does the media just convince us we should care about all of this stuff? ... I really don't know ...??? I'm gettin' a migrane just thinkin' about it ...

Anyway, I don't think I've really made any points here, but thanks, Linc, for starting this one, and thanks for a chance to let out some of my confusion and sadness. Maybe I'll get my thoughts together and post again later, because I think its kinda imporant (maybe I'll watch some TV first ...).

While I don't know what to do to change things (and I kinda feel bad because I usually don't talk/vent if I don't have a better plan - my apologies), I guess when I have a new place (hopefully soon), I will be grateful to my family for a temporary place to stay and I will not really miss the TV and computer - perhaps I will need to do some sort of detox or go into rehab ...

best wishes and thanks again. serene
You make a great point. Ultimately, the media IS us. If we as a society decide that we have had enough of this nonsense, we'd stop watching. Their ratings would shrink, the sponsors would shrivel up, and message would be sent. However, we keep watching, so this must be what we want.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:51 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,938,718 times
Everytime the news comes on I always say- "Anna Nicole is dead. LEAVE THIS WOMAN ALONE". Look, she might not have been a saint, and she was always in the spotlight even when no one wanted her there. But just out of respect, stay out of this woman's business. I don't want to here who thinks they are the father of her baby any more. Is that too much to ask?

As for Brittney........I just change the channel any time her name is even mentioned. Her and America's Biggest Joke, K-Fed.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:29 PM

36 posts, read 96,218 times
Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
It's called the dumbing down of America. And it's sure working.

I was at the gym this morning, and one of the TVs in my line of sight had Faux News- and the bulk of the hour I was doing cardio was on Britney shaving her head, Anna Nicole Smith, and the astronaut. The thing is, I know the other networks are just as bad. Somehow, real reporting of real world events has been deemed far less important than turning our news broadcasts into Entertainment Tonight.

And the elites who own the media are laughing all the way to the bank. Anything they can do to help us keep our eyes off the ball, they'll do...
Ditto! Right on the money, so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies