Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 01:14 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,219,157 times

Advertisements

I read so much about it yesterday, I thought I would be impressed tonight when I watched it.

I wasn't. It was like a watered-down rich person's view of poverty. I think I could have put together a better documentary than that -- considering it took them 1 1/2 years to put it together.

The poverty in the USA just tears me apart.

Anybody with a camera live in the LA area? Let's go make our own documentary!

Old 01-27-2007, 03:25 AM

355 posts, read 844,468 times
It's unfortunate that many of our own underprivileged and impoverished Americans get overshadowed by various crises abroad. In Los Angeles, for example, the juxtaposition of the Haves and Have-Nots is incredulous at the block-by-block level.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:19 AM

986 posts, read 2,814,030 times
Stay in school, do not get pregnant when your 15 or younger, do not do drugs, do not get arrested and maybe the cycle of poverty will end.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:26 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,491,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
Stay in school, do not get pregnant when your 15 or younger, do not do drugs, do not get arrested and maybe the cycle of poverty will end.
Good advice, but it's easier said than done (otherwise we obviously wouldn't have this problem in the first place). Poverty has always been a problem in this country, as I suppose is inevitable with any economic system with haves and have-nots, but the problem is far more complex than to cure with a relatively simple prescription...

Old 01-27-2007, 08:26 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,196,411 times
But, we still must allow illegals to come in and take the benefits away from our poor. Take care of American children first and then, the rest. We seem to care more about bringing in more poor then, focusing on what we have here now.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:28 AM

178 posts, read 417,745 times
Watch out for the main stream media now. They will start having pity parties for the minorty races, because the government, and their rich contributors know the common citizen has had it! We want our country back!
I did not watch the 20/20 program, but I can guess what it was about. You will see more and more of this as it gets closer to the 2008 election. The media/government wants American citizens to turn against their fellow citizens who are against amnesty, and for legal immigration.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:33 AM

986 posts, read 2,814,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Good advice, but it's easier said than done (otherwise we obviously wouldn't have this problem in the first place). Poverty has always been a problem in this country, as I suppose is inevitable with any economic system with haves and have-nots, but the problem is far more complex than to cure with a relatively simple prescription...
I see you are from NJ..I do not know how close to camden you are but I am about 15 min. away. The solution is that simple. Stay in school, don't go to jail!!!! Don't have a bunch of babies by the time your are 19!!! If you have a high school education you can get a job that pays better then min. wage.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:09 AM

177 posts, read 900,740 times
The Dems have always pitted the poor against the rich in a class war. Have you ever worked for poor people. Do you know any poor people that own factories. Rich people employ the poor people. I have heard that 62% of the people under the poverty level do not work at all. They look to the government for survival. Where dose the government get its money. It produces no product and sells no service. It takes money from some to pay for services for others.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:23 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,491,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
I see you are from NJ..I do not know how close to camden you are but I am about 15 min. away. The solution is that simple. Stay in school, don't go to jail!!!! Don't have a bunch of babies by the time your are 19!!! If you have a high school education you can get a job that pays better then min. wage.
I'm at the shore, but working in a jail I see the effects of poverty every day. And believe me, every day I say to no one in particular things like, "Quit having all these kids that you can't support", and "If you stayed in school instead of dealing you wouldn't have to deal with how rotten it is here". I tell any inmate who complains about how bad jail is to not come in the first place.

I think so much of it is that the people who are living these kinds of lives weren't shown anything else, and to do the things that mainstream society wants them to do makes them "sellouts" and "crackers" in their own eyes. So, to us, yeah, it is very simple, but there has to be more to it all than that...

Old 01-27-2007, 11:33 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,618,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
I think so much of it is that the people who are living these kinds of lives weren't shown anything else, and to do the things that mainstream society wants them to do makes them "sellouts" and "crackers" in their own eyes. So, to us, yeah, it is very simple, but there has to be more to it all than that...
Those that know my history swear that I should be a drug addict, in jail, or dead by now. Obviously I'm not unless you count nicotine as a drug addiction.

I don't buy it. If you want to make things better for yourself, it can be done. Not having the will or intelligence to do it is no excuse. I've had people snort lines of coke in front of me, and offer it to me. Plenty of crack, marijuana, acid, etc. as well. I never felt the need to even try something that would lead me down a path of personal destruction (except cigarettes). I've embibed in some alcohol, mostly when I was younger before I even turned 21. I maybe drink two or three beers a YEAR now simply because I have no need for it.

You can do whatever it is you want to do in life. No, I don't even believe in religion or any "higher power". These are my own ideals, not something that was fed to me. If people stopped spending so much time thinking up good excuses for their bad behavior and started focusing on eliminating the behavior in the first place we might actually turn ourselves around as a nation someday.

-TT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.