Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:00 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Typical California response. That is, make personal attacks, converse about the fluffy and irrelevant. Ignore all context of the conversation and then conclude with some accusation about how any question to your position is a waste of time.
You guys attack proposed higher taxes on the rich yet ... I'm supposedly the one who's elitist? That makes a lot of sense.

I just see this same phenomenon over and over. People leave yet, instead of being happy where they are, they seem compelled to bash this state over and over ... even over stuff that isn't going to happen.

The OP readily acknowledges that this proposal will never happen so ... what's the point? To convince themselves that California is really bad? Ok ... well ... they moved away so it shouldn't matter anyway.

Why can't they just be happy where they are? What's the point of all of this California bashing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 06:18 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
You guys attack proposed higher taxes on the rich yet ...
Why would you support "higher taxes on the rich" anyway?

Besides - this proposal could impact almost anyone in CA - even those who are not monetarily wealthy - if they have a valuable asset - they get taxed. Let me give you the example: Someone bought a home years ago for say $100,000. They worked hard at making the payments and keeping up the home. But, because of inflation, their home is now work $500,000 - yet, their income is about the same.

According to this proposal - they could get hit with a higher tax - because they are "rich". That to me is ridiculous -

How about you?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:21 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
The OP readily acknowledges that this proposal will never happen
Whoa there, Nellie. I never stated any such thing. I said it probably wouldn't. There's a huge difference.

You're missing the entire point, though. Either that or you're deliberately ignoring it, which I wouldn't put past you. I tend to think it's the former, though.

If this passes - and there's no guarantee that it won't - you'll see the state of California taking over a controlling share of the companies I mentioned before. Think about that (if you're capable). The state that has some of the highest taxes in the nation and still manages to rack up a 16 Billion dollar deficit would be in charge of some of the largest for-profit, publicly owned companies in the world. You'd have to be an idiot to not see the recklessness and danger to the nation in that.

More important that that, though, is that this is representative of what the Democrat leadership wants to do. Whether they do it in baby steps or all at once, their goal is obvious, and despite what you may think, what happens in California does impact the rest of the country.

Quote:
Why can't they just be happy where they are? What's the point of all of this California bashing?
I'm sorry if you're not able to comprehend the depth of this issue. I truly am. Not because I care about you or your opinion at all, but because there's so many people in the state that are just as ignorant and foolish as you are.

As for why people bash California, it's because what happens in California doesn't stay in California. Looking specifically at this issue, the implications are obvious and far-reaching. If you aren't able to grasp that, then you're hopeless.

If you reply, please address the topic of this thread, which is the proposed legislation, not California bashing or how much spare time you think I have.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:53 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Angry Anti-Americans go away

Aside from the obvious conclusion that the kind of legislation being considered will never pass [even the courts would weigh in] yet the typical Republican reactionaries go into panic mode it's like they have nothing to do but worry about California [must lead extremely boring lives & have no idea how to deal with problems anyway].

But the issue of pro-social leanings in California can not be denied. It is what the people of California want. Politicians must be voted into office & once lawmakers they ostensibly do the work of the people. All the liberals that some people outside California distain, win elections here & enact laws. We are happy with our state government. When Schwarzenegger became governor he went after the unions & adopted GOP positions & we all remember how he lost every initiative that he brought before the people of California. The governor now essentially speaks for California yet some Republicans despise him because he is pro-environment\ pro-gay marriage\ pro-universal health care for all.

If you don't like what happens in California, tough poop Oh, also get ready to adopt every one of the restrictions California places on run-away capitalism ala Bush because these safeguards are being embraced across the nation. So where can you escape? [ever think of moving to China? - that's capitalism at its worse & just down your alley. UnAmericans = selfish\ irresponsible cretins.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:53 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Aside from the obvious conclusion that the kind of legislation being considered will never pass [even the courts would weigh in] yet the typical Republican reactionaries go into panic mode it's like they have nothing to do but worry about California [must lead extremely boring lives & have no idea how to deal with problems anyway].
This is exactly what I was saying but, if this somehow makes the conservatives feel better ... ok, knock yourselves out. I'm not sure why conservatives even care about California. That was the point of moving to conservative states ... wasn't it? To escape California taxes, regulations, etc.

Now they're saying that California has so much influence even conservative states would adopt these proposals? That seems highly unlikely. Afterall ... California has income tax, Texas and Nevada doesn't. Texas and Nevada haven't decided to tax income just because California does. This is just another lame excuse for California bashing.

California has always been a liberal state ... that's never gonna change. It would be the same as expecting Nevada or Texas to go liberal ... it would be a complete waste of my time. To expect anything else is ridiculous. That's why I left Texas and moved to California. What good would it do to complain about Texas all the time? For me Texas is ancient history ... I'm happy where I am now.

For that reason alone I think conservatives should leave, especially if they're so miserable here. But it doesn't look like they're happy elsewhere either since they have nothing better to do but complain about a state they no longer live in.

Last edited by sheri257; 08-11-2008 at 06:11 AM..

Old 08-11-2008, 08:03 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
You just don't get it, Sheri. You're not able to think outside state lines and see how these things affect the rest of the country. I really don't understand how someone can be that - to put it nicely - dense, but apparently you are, and no amount of logic or reasoning is going to change that.

By the way, you do realize that most of California is rural, right? You have population centers in the San Francisco and Los Angeles metro areas, and some would argue San Diego, but that's it. The rest of the state is rural - largely farmland - and the issues that concern those people are much different that those that concern city dwellers. But you don't care what they want. They're just redneck conservatives who should all leave the state anyway, right?

Old 08-11-2008, 08:38 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
Sounds like there will be agreat migration of the wealthy from California. Well I can hook them up with homes of distinction here in Central Florida, so come on over and drop me a line. Florida will welcome you.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:30 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
I really don't care what they do with themselves, until the part about buying controlling interests in publicly-traded corporations came up. No state has any business in interfering with those types of matters which affect the rest of the country. Let them go screw up their own state, but keep the rest of us out of their screwed up philosophies.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:32 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You just don't get it, Sheri. You're not able to think outside state lines and see how these things affect the rest of the country. I really don't understand how someone can be that - to put it nicely - dense, but apparently you are, and no amount of logic or reasoning is going to change that.

By the way, you do realize that most of California is rural, right? You have population centers in the San Francisco and Los Angeles metro areas, and some would argue San Diego, but that's it. The rest of the state is rural - largely farmland - and the issues that concern those people are much different that those that concern city dwellers. But you don't care what they want. They're just redneck conservatives who should all leave the state anyway, right?
You are right to an extent but how are rural areas being adversily effected by California laws?

Old 08-11-2008, 01:23 PM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Wow. Not gonna pass but I thought anything this radical was fake. It is real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies