Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:16 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,485,065 times

Advertisements

A question: Would you support open borders between Canada, United States and Mexico and perhaps all South American countries?

How would this be a bad/good thing in your veiw/opinion?

Would you be in favor of one currency/denomination through-out the Americas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 09:30 AM

603 posts, read 1,996,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
A question: Would you support open borders between Canada, United States and Mexico and perhaps all South American countries?

No I would not.

Bad thing.

Only if it was the American dollar (some Latin American countries use it).

**The reason the EU works is because most of those countries, aside from a few of the newest members, are very modernized, highly educated 1st world countries. When they add new members, they subsidize their economies so that they're all on the same playing field. Now if we joined up with any of those nations south of our border, we will be subsidizing their corrupt governments for the rest of our natural lives. This is OUR money going to other countries. Our nation will lose its sovereignty and will be subject to some sort of international body, such as the EU. The thought is disturbing, yet all the groundwork is already being laid as we discuss this at this moment (NAFTA superhighway). Prepare yourselves, it may happen sooner than you think.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:45 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,485,065 times
1-I wouldn't too....it really makes you think as to why and what you're paying taxes for, especially on the federal level.

2-Bad on so many levels....good that i could "illegally immigrate" to other countries. (lol)

3-Undecided. I really don't know the pros and cons of one denomination of currency so i couldn't give an informed opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This North American Union deal would really change the paradigm of the political/economical/social landscape of the United States and beyond the Americas. It's mind-numbing if you'd think about it. (minus the fear though)

Old 01-21-2007, 09:48 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,199,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post

No, I would not to both questions! Very bad thing. And all we have to do is look around and see it's coming real fast prepare to speak Spanish and live in cardboard boxes

Old 01-21-2007, 11:39 AM

177 posts, read 899,039 times
One answer, have you ever been to El Paso Tx. and Juarez Mexico. Do you want this for our whole country??????????????????????????

Old 01-21-2007, 11:50 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,129,375 times
The EU actually has had many unintended negative as well as positive consequences with the introduction of the Euro. When last in Italy (Sicily, specifically) it was clear that people resented the conversion, but more importantly, it unbalanced rather than balanced their economy. Until the introduction of the Euro, the cost of day to day produce was very reasonable but by meting out costs over the entire EU costs increased beyond the pace of income. Many Sicilians I met were trying to adjust to these economic changes and struggling. Inflation was intolerable.

This is also true of the Netherlands (where I lived for many years, pre-Euro). Farming has always been an important in-country occupation that was a cash cow and profitable. Several other countries (say, France) had less efficient farming procedures and operations, thus they too resented the increased cost of living that resulted from the economic change(s).

Systems like this only work when everyone is on the same playing field--and the US, Canada, LA and SA are certainly unbalanced--more so than their European counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post

**The reason the EU works is because most of those countries, aside from a few of the newest members, are very modernized, highly educated 1st world countries. When they add new members, they subsidize their economies so that they're all on the same playing field. Now if we joined up with any of those nations south of our border, we will be subsidizing their corrupt governments for the rest of our natural lives. This is OUR money going to other countries. Our nation will lose its sovereignty and will be subject to some sort of international body, such as the EU. The thought is disturbing, yet all the groundwork is already being laid as we discuss this at this moment (NAFTA superhighway). Prepare yourselves, it may happen sooner than you think.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:03 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,990,784 times
No I would not. I'm an American, not a West Hemispherian. We have a distinct culture and history in America and it can never be a "Canada" which is not really a nation in the sense of the how the U.S. is a nation, or Mexico, which although clearly a nation, is third world. All of Central America is third world. Most of Latin America is third world.
This is not a group of countries of similar cultural backgrounds with similar or equivalent economies like Great Britain, France, The Netherlands, Germany, etc. The European EU are roughly equivalent and combine some of the world's largest individual economies and highest standards of living. Only Canada approximates the U.S. in this hemisphere.
I do not support a North American Union, but apparently President Bush does and he signed an agreement to implement it secretly starting with a NAFTA superhighway from Mexico through the U.S. to Canada without Congressional oversight or approval.
Like I said, President Bush, his cadre, and his buddies in Congress are traitors to this country.
They preach patriotism while they secretly work to destroy our nation for their benefit.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:12 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,496,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue1 View Post
One answer, have you ever been to El Paso Tx. and Juarez Mexico. Do you want this for our whole country??????????????????????????
I don't think a lot of people have ever been out of their birth state, which is why they don't have a grip on what's really happening.LOL..and some just don't have a grip at all.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:21 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,771,765 times
I don't think I read one yes here....that's great...but you had better wake up and speak out if you don't want it...because Bush boy wants it.....and daddy Bush boy was and is a big supporter of it......Instead of open bordrs you need to talk to who you voted for about closing all four borders to illegals....

Old 01-21-2007, 04:08 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,199,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
......Instead of open bordrs you need to talk to who you voted for about closing all four borders to illegals....
We've tried that a thousand times over. News flash, no one is listening and no one will. It's all about $$ and we've been sold to the highest bidder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies