Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 08:35 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
WASHINGTON - House Democrats failed Tuesday to resurrect a bill to punish price gouging at the gas pump, while maneuvering to block Republican attempts to expand offshore drilling, an idea gaining in popularity amid $4-a-gallon gas prices.
What a bunch of worthless a-holes! Congress fiddles and consumers burn! I'm voting for Hugo Chavez for President, at least he knows how to drill for oil!!!

House fails to move gas pump price gouging bill - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 08:38 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
What a bunch of worthless a-holes! Congress fiddles and consumers burn! I'm voting for Hugo Chavez for President, at least he knows how to drill for oil!!!

House fails to move gas pump price gouging bill - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Well, why not just stop using as much oil? No one is forcing you to buy the stuff.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Well, why not just stop using as much oil? No one is forcing you to buy the stuff.
With all due respect, no one is forcing you to think! Back to using horse and buggies?

Old 06-24-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
With all due respect, no one is forcing you to think! Back to using horse and buggies?
Huh? I think you are the one who isn't thinking.
If you don't like the current price of oil, don't buy any! No one is forcing you to buy oil.

I walk and take the subway, so I don't have to buy oil. If you're exclusively reliant on oil (i.e. addicted) because of your own lifestyle choices...well, it's your own damn fault. Get a horse.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:31 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
If you don't like the current price of oil, don't buy any! No one is forcing you to buy oil.

I walk and take the subway, so I don't have to buy oil. If you're exclusively reliant on oil (i.e. addicted) because of your own lifestyle choices...well, it's your own damn fault. Get a horse.
Not everybody lives in one of the big 3. Most Americans MUST drive a car, no questions asked.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Not everybody lives in one of the big 3. Most Americans MUST drive a car, no questions asked.
Again...whose fault is that?

Old 06-24-2008, 09:39 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Again...whose fault is that?
Typical urban elitist. You probably are one of those who thinks we are overpopulated - try shoving 300 million Americans into NYC and we'll talk overpopulated.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:32 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Typical urban elitist. You probably are one of those who thinks we are overpopulated - try shoving 300 million Americans into NYC and we'll talk overpopulated.
I agree with your assessment. I'm lucky enough to walk to work so I only fill up my car about once every 5 weeks. This was purely by accident by the way. I live in an absolutely huge metropolitan area where cars are a requirement. While it's easy for the elitist to blame everyone else for not simply curtailing their use of oil, it is unfortunate that our city planners and the greedy developers turned city design on its side starting in the 1960s. Cheap farm land was easier to develop and far more profitable than solving the blight conditions in the inner cities. The car went from near luxury to downright necessity.

Contrary to the media, we are NOT addicted to oil. We would all love alternatives but the oil & gas companies, in cahoots with the automobile manufacturers, assured that alternatives would be underfunded and discouraged. We have had no real viable choice. If there is no choice, there is no addiction. In the larger sense, yes, we have ourselves to blame because we didn't scream loud enough. But we've been a very quiet country lately. We even lose our civil rights and no one riots or burns buildings down. The oil price increases and the dwindling dollar might wake more of us up, but I'm not counting on it.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:

Please re-read post #3 and advise me as to what part of the galaxy you are currently inhabiting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies