Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 04:30 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,409,885 times

Advertisements

I, for one, am for a woman's right to choose.
I was sterilized in my early 20s.
People told me I was going to hell because I would never breed.
I would never have a kid. It was sterilize or have to debate abortion for myself. I chose sterilization.
Where's the logic in that kind of thinking?
Who am I to decide what is good for another person?

Old 06-17-2008, 05:21 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,441,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I, for one, am for a woman's right to choose.
I was sterilized in my early 20s.
People told me I was going to hell because I would never breed.
I would never have a kid. It was sterilize or have to debate abortion for myself. I chose sterilization.
Where's the logic in that kind of thinking?
Who am I to decide what is good for another person?
Excellent--I admire that. My sister did exactly the same thing. Nothing wrong with it. You killed no one and your conscience is clear!

Congratulations on making a mature, thoughtful decision BEFORE getting yourself into a situation where you have to make a much worse one.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:23 AM

I'd still like to know, how many of those million children waiting to be adopted are normal, healthy infants? Anybody?

Suddenly the anti-adoption crowd is so silent.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:41 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,125,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
One thing that has long bothered me in the never ending debate is when pro-choice advocates are called pro-deathers or pro-abortionists. Supporting a woman's right to choose is not the same as supporting and advocating abortion. There are tons of people who support the right to choose who would never get an abortion and don't agree with it. Those are two separate issues that are continually lumped together.
The same argument could be made, saying those against abortion are "anti-choice"...and I agree. They are against the CHOICE to murder an innocent life.

Pro-choice = For the choice of killing

Old 06-17-2008, 08:38 AM

10,654 posts, read 18,736,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I'd still like to know, how many of those million children waiting to be adopted are normal, healthy infants? Anybody?

Suddenly the anti-adoption crowd is so silent.
There are no statistics on which children are deemed "healthy" and which are "unhealthy". I will not throw out numbers without solid statistics to back them up.

If you think every single healthy child is adopted, black or white, I disagree.

I am not anti-adoption at all, you are incorrect. I agree that the red tape needs to be cut. But I don't agree that outlawing abortion is going to suddenly put millions of new babies into the adoption pool that will all be adopted.

And you seem fixated on the "normal, healthy, infants". Even if every one of those were adopted - what happens to the ones with issues? Outlawing abortion will skyrocket those numbers.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:45 AM

Okay, I'll bite, let's have stats on how many infants including those "with issues" are sitting in the system waiting for adoption. Infants only please, thanks!

As a percentage of total children awaiting adoption would be fine as well if you can find it.

My point is, there are plenty of potential parents who would welcome an infant.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:54 AM

10,654 posts, read 18,736,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Okay, I'll bite, let's have stats on how many infants including those "with issues" are sitting in the system waiting for adoption. Infants only please, thanks!

As a percentage of total children awaiting adoption would be fine as well if you can find it.

My point is, there are plenty of potential parents who would welcome an infant.
And my point is - there will be more children than parents. I notice you only said "infant". What about the older children? Is it only ok for infants to be adopted?

Here are the most recent stats I could find. Looks like out of an average of around 129k children who were eligible for adoption - 51k adopted. Less than half.

Now, there are 1.37M abortions a year. Lets say abortion is outlawed and 500k of those end up up for adoption. Add that to our previous stats and you get 629k up for adoption. Now - lets keep the percentages going. 629k up for adoption with about a 40% adoption rate. About 250k adopted leaving another 379k in the system. Exponentially adding up year after year.

Trends in Foster Care and Adoption--FY 2002-FY 2006 (http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/stats_research/afcars/trends.htm - broken link)

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/images/trends_02-06.gif (broken link)

Old 06-17-2008, 09:22 AM

I have no argument with first-trimester abortions.

If people stopped having late term abortions and gave their child up for adoption upon birth there would be plenty of parents available.

(Late-term abortion would be the topic of this thread, I believe).

Old 06-17-2008, 10:02 AM

542 posts, read 1,690,139 times
Is there really anyone who does support 2nd and 3rd trimester abortions? I am pro-choice and I think those are awful and fully support banning those.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:10 AM

There's plenty...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.