Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 07:41 AM

520 posts, read 280,360 times

Advertisements

I tend to ignore all the political nonsense here in the USA, and I would do the same if I were in Canada.

But my family is here and I like it here. I love my country. Not leaving. But I have considerable respect and appreciation for Canada and Canadians.

We should not forget how much they helped during WWII. They are called allies for a reason.

"Canadians contributed in many ways, fighting overseas, and producing the weapons of war and food for Allied nations. With massive financial support and incredible exertions demanded of most Canadians, few were left untouched by the war."

Old 01-05-2024, 07:43 AM

52,727 posts, read 34,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbee View Post
Canadians typically do not spend money they do not have. Living within one's means is a culture. The Canadians do not need help buying home like Americans do (Mortgage Tax Credit/Deduction), there is no such thing in Canada, yet all our relatives and friends live quite comfortably in nice homes. New arrivals do have it tough though, Canadian employers like to hire folks with Canadian work Experience.
A standard house costs almost twice as much in Canada as it does in the U.S.

https://awealthofcommonsense.com/wp-...8.56.03-PM.png

see the charts on this page: https://awealthofcommonsense.com/202...ousing-market/

Old 01-05-2024, 07:48 AM

2,988 posts, read 1,758,090 times
I'm a weirdo who happens to love the USA, warts and all. I teach my children to thank God everyday that they were born in this great country.

Old 01-05-2024, 07:55 AM

39,279 posts, read 27,677,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
I'm a weirdo who happens to love the USA, warts and all. I teach my children to thank God everyday that they were born in this great country.
Amen

I have visited more than 25 countries, America is still the best.

I enjoyed my time as a traveler, but I would like to tell people, your experiences as a traveler will be completely different from your experiences as a permanent resident. A lot to consider if you want to move to another country permanently. Grass is not greener on the other side.

You ( general term) think the economy is bad here? Try living in another country.

Old 01-05-2024, 07:57 AM

19,731 posts, read 10,162,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigodqew View Post
Perks about Canada:

* Clean air initiatives

* less racial tension and not the "be angry at eachother" narrative being pushed by the media. There is little "whites are oppressors" mentality being pushed in Canada. And non whites are not regarded as victims.

* Affordable Healthcare. It's government subsidized but not everything is covered. What isn't covered is still more affordable through a supplemental insurance plan than in the states.

* Gun violence is uncommon. It happens but on a smal scale.

* LGBT issues are not a controversy.

* Abortion is legal and not a controversy in Canada either.

* while cost of housing is high and wages are low in some provinces in others like Alberta wages are quite high,taxes are low and housing costs are reasonable.

* Many provinces have dropped all mask requirements for covid protocol.

* college education is cheap.
Don't like communist countries.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:06 AM

520 posts, read 280,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Amen

I have visited more than 25 countries, America is still the best.

I enjoyed my time as a traveler, but I would like to tell people, your experiences as a traveler will be completely different from your experiences as a permanent resident. A lot to consider if you want to move to another country permanently. Grass is not greener on the other side.

You ( general term) think the economy is bad here? Try living in another country.
Seems like many people are always complaining about this and that, about Biden-Trump and all the associated nonsense, and we still live in a great country. We survived Trump. And we will survive Biden. Presidents come and go, and we move on.

I too have been to many countries, boots-on-the-ground in 41 so far. Some of them are really really nice ( to visit ), and many not so much. But I remain very grateful for what we have here, despite all the nonsense.

This is still a great country. No one here is trying to destroy us. We are bigger than that.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:07 AM

11,674 posts, read 6,104,709 times
I have never considered moving to Canada, but I was so smitten with Victoria BC, and the Banff National Park, it made me imagine I could live there and be happy. Vancouver as well.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:11 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,451,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Don't like communist countries.
I think it’s perfectly fine to have a preference for the US over Canada because you prefer the weather, the fact that gun ownership has fewer restrictions, that you are more comfortable with the US medical system, that you don’t care for PM Trudeau but adore Mr. Trump, etc. But nobody reasonable is going to take you seriously when you characterize Canada as a communist country. This is the sort of comment that doesn’t add much to a pretty interesting question posed by the OP.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:19 AM

39,279 posts, read 27,677,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
Seems like many people are always complaining about this and that, about Biden-Trump and all the associated nonsense, and we still live in a great country. We survived Trump. And we will survive Biden. Presidents come and go, and we move on.

I too have been to many countries, boots-on-the-ground in 41 so far. Some of them are really really nice ( to visit ), and many not so much. But I remain very grateful for what we have here, despite all the nonsense.

This is still a great country. No one here is trying to destroy us. We are bigger than that.
Agree

Would like to add, when I was in Germany, I was surprised to find out that many Americans were not happy there at all, although Germany is such an amazing country.

They probably moved to Germany for all the wrong reasons. I think some ( not all) Americans have unrealistic expectations and have probably taken America for granted.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:27 AM

579 posts, read 434,840 times
I have considered it, yes. I have a couple of friends there and have enjoyed visits. I appreciate it for some of the reasons that you (OP) mentioned. But there's a good chance I wouldn't qualify (I've tried the site test a few times and thought about my options). The housing is expensive and limited. I'm also a little skeptical about health care, based on a friend's experience. (Granted, he's in small town Nova Scotia, and I think better quality of life could be found elsewhere).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies