Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2023, 05:57 AM

89,377 posts, read 45,111,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Well lets see if you can understand that today as we go, our country without immigration will not be able to maintain the GDP we have each year. Without new blood into the country our systems will begin to fail as our population ages and we have fewer younger people to take up the mantle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, I know that's the pro-illegal immigration argument. Now let's take a look at the education and skill levels those 7 million illegal aliens (Biden has released into the US) have... not a whole hell of a lot. They have a no/low-level of education and no/low skills. They're FAR more likely to be lifelong public assistance enrollees than to contribute to society in any meaningful way and/or "take up the mantle."

What you're advocating is the precipitous decline of the US standard of living via mass immigration of the world's uneducated, low-skilled, poor.
For oldsoldier and anyone else who thinks immigrants are net contributors to society. They are not:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2023, 05:57 AM

59,428 posts, read 27,586,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Oh Maine does have a "few" cities where you don't need "snowshoes" to get the mail

The younger generation want the cities, the big trendy cities.
And those are the ones they want prices lowered.

There's affordable housing but they don't want it.
They want denser cities with mass transit.

Pretty much they want NYC's popping up all over with cheap affordable rents.
Is that too much to ask in the midst of high inflation and rising taxes ?
"The younger generation wants" EVERYTHING, but don't want to have to work or pay for it.

They grew up in the "EVERYBODY gets a trophy" era, nobody fails any more. No more "most valuable". etc. trophies.

They are spoiled little brats and when they don't get what their way, put on hissy fits, crying and whining, etc. until, they do get their way.

Old 11-30-2023, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The boomers and Gen X fled to the suburbs because the cities were unaffordable.
The millennials and GenZ are moving back to the cities and want rents to come down.

And every one of them are high priced cities.
They want rents to come down to match their salaries....that's all.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/21/mill...l%20population.
Millennials are relocating to new cities in droves, with 25% of the generation moving to a different metropolitan area in 2022 alone
"The boomers and Gen X fled to the suburbs because the cities were unaffordable."
And why?

Supply and demand!

Old 11-30-2023, 06:02 AM

10,918 posts, read 4,656,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I was thinking about this. Back when I was 21 (now 59) I rented my first apartment in Burbank, CA. It was right across the street from Burbank Studios where Johnny Carson was taped. You could see the line form each day from where I lived. I paid $375 a month for a studio. I was still going to college and worked full time and I don't really recall being stressed about money. I looked it up and the apartment building still exists and rents are about $2,200 a month. Its a lot nicer looking now but its still a small studio apartment.

Back then you could make $7 an hour and afford that apartment. Lots of basic jobs paid that much back then. I was in management so I made more. Today someone would have to make $50 an hour to keep the rent to income ratio the same.

As a Libertarian I am all for the government backing off and letting the free market do its things. Whatever rents and home prices are, are a reflection of the free market. But what happens when the government sets policy that creates the current situation. That is not a free market. My feeling is single family residences should be set aside for people to purchase not investment firms to buy up all available properties.

1. Keep interest rates high. 8% for a mortgage seems fair. Back in the early 80's interest rates were double digits and people still bought homes. If the economy needs near zero interest rates to function. Something is seriously wrong. Everyone is too addicted to financing every thing they own.

2. Ban Wall St speculation and other investors from buying blocks of housing. Plenty of opportunity for them to buy apartment buildings. Limit how many properties one can own in one county. Limit or end foreign purchase of real estate.

3. Work on a coordinated national project to build new homes. Create new enterprise zones in less populated regions that still have space to build. And through tax credits and other methods encourage new building. Determine how many homes need to be built to get the housing market back to some sort of balance. Our country has endless space to build new housing. Its just that everyone is crammed into the big cities. The government should stay out of picking favorites or deciding where or how these homes get built. Just incentivize the process of rapidly building millions of new homes.

4. All these so called migrants need to be sent to special refugee camps until we can figure out what to do with them. The goal being sending most of them back home. We don't need them crowding out American citizens already packed in over populated cities. Same should be done with homeless people. No to punish the homeless but to get some of them back on a path to a normal life.

As far as I can tell on a national basis nothing is even being talked about regarding the housing crisis. Interesting in hearing ideas and hopefully not just the usual response of blaming one side or the other. Plenty of blame to go around but actual solutions would be appreciated.

answer: house hunt in PR. I am.

Old 11-30-2023, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
She heard it on csmbc, or cnn, or any one of the other alphabet stations, so it HAS to be true!

Old 11-30-2023, 06:11 AM

35,796 posts, read 21,184,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
answer: house hunt in PR. I am.
PR is expensive and so is Panama. If I could - I’d live in Mexico.

Old 11-30-2023, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Knowing what I know about the realtor profession, it would not surprize me at all, if their industry determines the 'average' house price is over $500k here as well.

They are driven to keep commissions high.

Thankfully there are many job openings around here.

"Knowing what I know about the realtor profession"

Looks like not much.

You fail AGAIN!.

The "industry" does NOT set the prices!

Old 11-30-2023, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
I am with Submariner on this.. there are tons of houses for cheap within commutes of very large cities - Michigan City, IN, South Bend, IN, Grand Rapids, MI, Kalamazoo, MI being one off the top of my head. You can live all over Detroit or Chicago and find an affordable real house - maybe not 50K unless you want to drive further but 100-150K for absolute certainty.

Sounds like the East/West Coasters are trying to paint the entire country with a brush that only they have to endure.

Literally, look at Michigan City, IN - you are in a 1hr train ride to the heart of the Chicago loop a mile from the lakeshore.

I fix all my homes up myself - never owned a new home because I cannot afford it.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-City_IN/sby-1
"Literally, look"

We have that a LOT on here.

Because something is done or happens. etc. where they live, they THINK it is the same all over the country.

If they believe something, EVERYBODY MUST also believe as they do.

How many times have you see seen, "americans want ", americans believe", etc.?

I tell them they didn't ask me, so how can they say "Americans" want of believe?

I often ask them for their data, and never get it.

Surprise, surprise!

Old 11-30-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That's where the jobs, schools and universities are.

The houses are cheap in East Hillbilly, KY, because it's an unattractive place to be.
"because it's an unattractive place to be"

"beauty, is in the eye of the beholder"!

Several tall buildings do NOT make a city attractive, IMO

I think he/she has lead a very sheltered life!

My area is one of the fasted growing areas in the country and have been for years, and we are many mile away from a city which isn't all that big compared to others.

Old 11-30-2023, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
This has to be the most bizarre take on immigration law I've ever seen. Every country in the world controls immigration into their country, though they ALL are much better at restricting immigration than the US. Does that mean they all "hate" everyone else much more so than the US?
Those that use words like "hate", are usually the one who "hate", etc. the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies