Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 04:54 PM

29,587 posts, read 23,021,066 times

Advertisements

This happened earlier this year, talk about a frivolous lawsuit and as always and forever, the cop-out 'racism' excuse. That lady had every right to do what she did as a standard business procedure in light of rampant fraud and theft from stores across the country.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...age=5#comments

Quote:
Tyrese Gibson claims he was the victim of racial discrimination and profiling during a February 11 visit to West Hills, California Home Depot location in a $1 million lawsuit.

The Fast & Furious actor, 44, filed legal documents in Los Angeles Superior Court Wednesday claiming that he and two construction workers he had working for him had their civil rights violated in an incident at the store.
This part:

Quote:
In the suit Gibson said that he did not want to attract attention and went to his vehicle, having his two workers pay with his credit card for the purchase.

He said that the cashier refused to put through the transaction and 'gave no reasonable explanation other than repeating store policy and [demanding] to see a form of identification.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzFj1Gv_HV4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2023, 06:04 PM

14,226 posts, read 8,333,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This happened earlier this year, talk about a frivolous lawsuit and as always and forever, the cop-out 'racism' excuse. That lady had every right to do what she did as a standard business procedure in light of rampant fraud and theft from stores across the country.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...age=5#comments

This part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzFj1Gv_HV4

I own seven properties in the Phx metro, and I'm in and out of Home Depot all the time. Various Home Depots in Mesa, Gilbert, and Chandler. I don't ever remember being asked for ID when paying with a credit card. Occasionally I have been asked for ID when returning an item but not when purchasing something.

My guess is this had nothing to do with racism and everything to do with the employee not understanding the store policy

If you're looking for a job H.D. always seems to be hiring. Employees must come and go all the time.

Old 08-12-2023, 06:15 PM

43,998 posts, read 18,999,463 times
How in the heck is that racism ?

The back of my CC does not have my signature. Instead I wrote "See ID" on it and once in a blue moon I get asked.
But most stuff is automated now so a cashier wouldn't even see your card.

Old 08-12-2023, 09:30 PM

24,965 posts, read 13,321,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I own seven properties in the Phx metro, and I'm in and out of Home Depot all the time. Various Home Depots in Mesa, Gilbert, and Chandler. I don't ever remember being asked for ID when paying with a credit card. Occasionally I have been asked for ID when returning an item but not when purchasing something.

My guess is this had nothing to do with racism and everything to do with the employee not understanding the store policy

If you're looking for a job H.D. always seems to be hiring. Employees must come and go all the time.
Yep, ID is often asked for on returns. When making purchase though it is 'usually' not asked for unless it is for rentals...tools, vehicles. The article didn't specify if the card was being used for just a purchase, a purchase plus rental or just rental.

We may also capture your image with closed circuit television cameras when you visit our stores, to prevent or detect fraud and promote security. For certain services, such as truck rentals or some equipment rentals, we may request that you present additional personal information and identification, such as a driver's licence and verification of insurance.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/cus...-security.html

Old 08-12-2023, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Yep, ID is often asked for on returns. When making purchase though it is 'usually' not asked for unless it is for rentals...tools, vehicles. The article didn't specify if the card was being used for just a purchase, a purchase plus rental or just rental.

We may also capture your image with closed circuit television cameras when you visit our stores, to prevent or detect fraud and promote security. For certain services, such as truck rentals or some equipment rentals, we may request that you present additional personal information and identification, such as a driver's licence and verification of insurance.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/cus...-security.html

Yes, I am always asked to show ID when renting a power tool. But this misunderstanding could have been easy to clear up.

Quote:
The article didn't specify if the card was being used for just a purchase, a purchase plus rental or just rental.
My experience with renting tools is the department is in a separate area of the store. With its own staff and checkout counter.

I could be wrong but it looks to me like the young lady on the phone wasn't in a tool department. She was calling from the main floor.

Last edited by john3232; 08-12-2023 at 09:59 PM..

Old 08-12-2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, I am always asked to show ID when renting a power tool. But would have been easy to clear up.
Yep. You were spot on with your comment about returns.

And you're right, it should have been easy to clear up. But it couldn't be that easy if the persons who were trying to use the card were not legally authorized to use the card. And, not when the person who was legally authorized to use the card decided to throw a fit and scream racism, over simply being an adult and handing his ID to the cashier. (but again, we don't know what the transaction was)

Anyway, it is a violation of credit card policy for a credit card holder to allow someone else, who is not on the card, to use their credit card.

Back in the day, if a credit card company found that a card holder was allowing others to use the card then the card company would have considered that risky behavior and would have, given the account a credit limit reduction and/or raised the interest rates or closed the account. These days, maybe it's different? in certain circumstances anyway.

Old 08-12-2023, 10:29 PM

Quote:

And you're right, it should have been easy to clear up. But it couldn't be that easy if the persons who were trying to use the card were not legally authorized to use the card. And, not when the person who was legally authorized to use the card decided to throw a fit and scream racism, over simply being an adult and handing his ID to the cashier. (but again, we don't know what the transaction was)

Anyway, it is a violation of credit card policy for a credit card holder to allow someone else, who is not on the card, to use their credit card.

Back in the day, if a credit card company found that a card holder was allowing others to use the card then the card company would have considered that risky behavior and would haver, gave the account a credit limit reduction and/or raised the interest rates or closed the account. These days, maybe it's different? in certain circumstances anyway.
I was referring to Gibson had he been renting a power tool. An ID is required which could have easily been explained.

However, I don't think that's what happened. The young lady on the phone appears to be on the main floor and not where tools are rented.

Old 08-12-2023, 11:04 PM

Quote:

Back in the day, if a credit card company found that a card holder was allowing others to use the card then the card company would have considered that risky behavior and would have, given the account a credit limit reduction and/or raised the interest rates or closed the account. These days, maybe it's different? in certain circumstances anyway.
If the person isn't renting a tool, they usually don’t need to show an ID. And I don't think this involved renting a tool.

My guess is this happened: The HD employee stationed in the checkout area saw Gibson hand his card to one of his workers and leave the store. The employee suspected something dodgy was going on. So, he asked to see ID from Gibson's worker at which point the problem started.

The question then becomes would the HD employee have asked to see ID from my handyman had I (While male) handed over a credit card (not that I ever would) so he could pay for the items while I left the store?

In the video clip we can hear Gibson saying stop saying I don't have ID. Yes, Gibson has ID but wasn't in the store when the items were being bought.

So it comes back to would my handyman have been asked for ID if the HD employee had seen me handing him my credit card and then leave.

I think that's what this lawsuit is about: Why was Gibson's worker asked to show ID? The HD employee saw Gibson hand the man his credit card. Did the employee think the card might be stolen? If so, why?

Last edited by john3232; 08-13-2023 at 12:28 AM..

Old 08-12-2023, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I was referring to Gibson had he been renting a power tool. An ID is required which could have easily been explained.

However, I don't think that's what happened. The young lady on the phone appears to be on the main floor and not where tools are rented.
Yeah. Though in the HD where we shop, the register to pay for the rentals is right outside of the small rental area... and on the main floor. It looks like every other register area in the store, with the only difference is that while it's close to the other registers, the contractors/builder's entryway is between it and the regular line of registers.

Old 08-13-2023, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah. Though in the HD where we shop, the register to pay for the rentals is right outside of the small rental area... and on the main floor. It looks like every other register area in the store, with the only difference is that while it's close to the other registers, the contractors/builder's entryway is between it and the regular line of registers.
I've not seen that. In any event I seriously doubt Gibson was trying to rent something. If he was trying to rent a tool there would be no grounds for a lawsuit.

Gibson's worker ID wouldn't match the name on the credit card. Full stop and end of transaction right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies