Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 05:08 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Do these people actually believe what they are saying or think that people are just that dumb...

And those of you who believe that PP suggests that abstinence is a viable option, please raise your hand.

Yea thought so...
I fully believe PP would discuss abstinence as a viable option. Unlike the zealots on the right, however, PP understands that teaching abstinence to early teens as the ONLY viable option is a losing proposition, since some of those teens are going to have sex, and there's nothing you can do to stop it. Teens need to understand all the nuances of having sex, and learn that yes, the girl can get pregnant the first time, second time, or almost any time. And once teens start having sex, they aren't going to stop. So they need to know about the options for birth control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 05:19 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Why would they feel the need to diss virginity? Is it really any of their business if people care about virginity? It’s just a weird thing for them to take on.
They’re not “dissing” virginity. Just suggesting to use the words abstinence instead. Why is it PP business to talk about virginity? The are called PP for a reason. Sex education and information is under their umbrella.

Old 06-30-2023, 05:22 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
They’re not “dissing” virginity. Just suggesting to use the words abstinence instead. Why is it PP business to talk about virginity? The are called PP for a reason. Sex education and information is under their umbrella.
Yes they are dissing virginity.

They don’t need to tweet about virginity being a social construct in order for them to continue to teach abstinence as well as contraceptives.

Interesting that they closed comments on their post about it.

Old 06-30-2023, 05:27 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:

They don’t need to tweet about virginity being a social construct in order for them to continue to teach abstinence as well as contraceptives.

You read disrespect into it. I see none whatsoever. Why wouldn’t they bring it up? They have always taught abstinence and contraception, they continue to do that and talk about the word virginity and abstinence. Nothing wrong in that.

Old 06-30-2023, 05:28 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:

Just more "word play" from the left. I am not so sure that some of them would know what the word "abstinence" meant, but I bet they all know what virginity is. "Social construct"? Oh, like "gender", of course! No, that is just confusing.

Abortion is a big industry, and PPP has their hands in it, and aren't ashamed to pander for business.

Old 06-30-2023, 05:31 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
You read disrespect into it. I see none whatsoever. Why wouldn’t they bring it up? They have always taught abstinence and contraception, they continue to do that and talk about the word virginity and abstinence. Nothing wrong in that.
I’m sorry you can’t see it.

I know they have always taught abstinence and contraception. That’s not the point.

Old 06-30-2023, 05:41 PM

18,104 posts, read 15,683,109 times
I haven't been in or near a PP since college days, and that was a long time ago, so I went to the website of a region in my general area, and I was surprised at the range of services they offer. Of course, it's the standard women's reproductive services, from yearly cervical screenings, to birth control, and all of that, but they are a full-service medical clinic. By that I mean:

- general health/wellness/primary care issues
- mammograms or referrals
- colon cancer screening
- cholesterol screening
- thyroid screening
- Diabetes screening and management
- full blood work panels
- Full physicals, for employment, sports, etc.

and the list goes on.

Old 06-30-2023, 05:55 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I haven't been in or near a PP since college days, and that was a long time ago, so I went to the website of a region in my general area, and I was surprised at the range of services they offer. Of course, it's the standard women's reproductive services, from yearly cervical screenings, to birth control, and all of that, but they are a full-service medical clinic. By that I mean:

- general health/wellness/primary care issues
- mammograms or referrals
- colon cancer screening
- cholesterol screening
- thyroid screening
- Diabetes screening and management
- full blood work panels
- Full physicals, for employment, sports, etc.

and the list goes on.
None of that has anything to do with the tone and tenor regarding virginity as expressed in the article.

Old 06-30-2023, 05:58 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Huh. Weird. Thread title completely at odds to article. I wonder how that happens?

“Instead of focusing on the loaded term of “virginity”, extensive research has found that discussing abstinence and the various forms of birth control during sexual health classes are much more effective at helping teens take control of their reproductive health and make decisions that are right for them. In the long term, that means that excluding shaming words like “virginity” from her curriculum helps Cmorik’s students delay their first sexual experience, avoid unintended pregnancies, and reduce their chances of getting STDs.”

Sounds good to me.

What exactly are one’s objections to that?

Old 06-30-2023, 06:02 PM

18,104 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
None of that has anything to do with the tone and tenor regarding virginity as expressed in the article.
They offer education as one of their core services, so discussing abstinence and the various forms of birth control are right in their wheelhouse. That they are specifically not using the term "virginity," is no big deal, they're not the church, and what someone's status is in that regard isn't going to change the education offered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies