Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 05:33 PM

34,400 posts, read 18,798,773 times

Advertisements

Minnesota. The Kremlin of the Midwest back in the Soviet Union days of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 05:40 PM

13,864 posts, read 5,080,266 times
This, from Alpha News, is wrong:

Quote:
A new poll has found that the majority of Americans would not want to live in Minnesota. “66% of voters — including a majority of all parties — say they would not want to live in a state that has increasing taxes, restricts legal gun ownership more strictly, allows abortion up to 9 months, allows minors to get gender surgery without parental permission, encourages undocumented immigrants, and allows felons to vote,”

The actual poll shows that a 54% majority want more gun restrictions, compared to only 20% that want fewer restrictions.

64% believe felons should be allowed to vote after they served their sentence.

Although a majority oppose abortion through 9 months, a majority also oppose laws that ban abortion after six weeks.

Based on these, it would be accurate to say that a majority of Americans wouldn’t want to live in Florida.

https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-con...KeyResults.pdf

Old 06-28-2023, 05:11 AM

76,959 posts, read 47,890,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Almost 100% of elected Democrats agree with abortion all 9 months of pregnancy.
No, that is not even close to being correct. There are only a handful of States with "no limit" laws. If your claim was correct, all blue States would be "no limit" States. The State in question (Minnesota) for example does NOT allow abortions up to 9 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
This, from Alpha News, is wrong:

Quote:
A new poll has found that the majority of Americans would not want to live in Minnesota. “66% of voters — including a majority of all parties — say they would not want to live in a state that has increasing taxes, restricts legal gun ownership more strictly, allows abortion up to 9 months, allows minors to get gender surgery without parental permission, encourages undocumented immigrants, and allows felons to vote,”

The actual poll shows that a 54% majority want more gun restrictions, compared to only 20% that want fewer restrictions.

64% believe felons should be allowed to vote after they served their sentence.

Although a majority oppose abortion through 9 months, a majority also oppose laws that ban abortion after six weeks.

Based on these, it would be accurate to say that a majority of Americans wouldn’t want to live in Florida.

https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-con...KeyResults.pdf
Its in correct un many levels. For example is suggests MN allows abortions up to 9 months, when its not even true. As for guns, - MN does not have particularly strict gun laws, and gun ownership is common there. Also, it claims MN allows gender surgery to teens without parental approval, but MN does require parental approval.

The source, which is known for extreme bias, basically lists a bunch of partisan topics, and tries to associate them to Minnesota, but practically all of the claims are fake. It also provides a fake link to the 'study', but if you click on the link it takes you to Yahoo Finance article which has nothing to do with any study or poll.

VERDICT: FAKE NEWS

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-28-2023 at 05:19 AM..

Old 06-28-2023, 07:00 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,260,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, that is not even close to being correct. There are only a handful of States with "no limit" laws. If your claim was correct, all blue States would be "no limit" States. The State in question (Minnesota) for example does NOT allow abortions up to 9 months.

Its in correct un many levels. For example is suggests MN allows abortions up to 9 months, when its not even true. As for guns, - MN does not have particularly strict gun laws, and gun ownership is common there. Also, it claims MN allows gender surgery to teens without parental approval, but MN does require parental approval.

The source, which is known for extreme bias, basically lists a bunch of partisan topics, and tries to associate them to Minnesota, but practically all of the claims are fake. It also provides a fake link to the 'study', but if you click on the link it takes you to Yahoo Finance article which has nothing to do with any study or poll.

VERDICT: FAKE NEWS
I wondered about the gun laws of MN. I lived in the northeast for a couple of years - not an east coast city- and the gun laws up that way were more lax than TX. It was also a blue state and the stats said it was a much more heavily-armed place as well. Im guessing MN is similar, because the northern border states typically are that way.

There’s perception and there’s reality. Fake news has put a bunch of silly beliefs in people’s heads.

Old 06-28-2023, 07:39 AM

76,959 posts, read 47,890,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
I wondered about the gun laws of MN. I lived in the northeast for a couple of years - not an east coast city- and the gun laws up that way were more lax than TX. It was also a blue state and the stats said it was a much more heavily-armed place as well. Im guessing MN is similar, because the northern border states typically are that way.

There’s perception and there’s reality. Fake news has put a bunch of silly beliefs in people’s heads.
Minnesota is considered a hunting mecca because they have millions of acres of public hunting land. So, yes, lot of people have guns there.

Minnesota is also an open carry State, whereas places like Florida are not. Like FL, they require a carry license, which is not hard to get.

Old 06-28-2023, 11:02 AM

51,535 posts, read 37,215,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't know about your source. Media bias check shows extreme bias. I like the weather in FL, and think Minnesota is way too cold. When I was younger, I would go wherever the jobs took me (it took me to IL, OH, MI, CT, FL), and still think its foolish to restrict your options based on partisan political views, especially when the data is coming from a severely biased source like Alpha News. There are positives and negatives in every State, except maybe Arkansas, where I fail to see any positives. Minnesota has beautiful nature and limitless hiking, fishing etc activities.

"Overall, we rate Alpha News Questionable based on extreme right bias, poor sourcing of information, promotion of conspiracy theories, and anti-Islamic propaganda, as well as a lack of transparency regarding ownership

Reasoning: Poor Sourcing, Conspiracy Theories, Anti-Islam, Lack of Transparency
Bias Rating: FAR RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW"
Thank you for common sense. THAT is the reason most people don't want to live in Minnesota.

Old 06-28-2023, 12:45 PM

15,953 posts, read 12,393,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
The Minnesota DFL is the perfect example of a party with a backbone. They squeaked through a slim majority in the State Legislature, and began passing far-left radical Progressive policy after far-left radical Progressive policy. Republicans would never do that because they would fear losing reelection. Democrats don't care about that. They actually do something with the power they're give, even if for only one session, and I have to give them props for that...

Good point.. but what do republicans bring to the table? Things that would cause them to lose elections like abortion bans. If they were a party of fiscal conservatism and social libertarianism I think they'd be more popular. Push for more freedom but hold people accountable if they exercise that freedom in bad ways, instead of just giving them handouts, letting them go without charging them for a crime, things the left likes to do.

Be the party of enforcing laws, but let people have their freedom. Don't be puritans. I actually think the stuff the left passes gets them more support, at least in the short term. All this "free stuff" seems enticing to people, until years go by and the consequences of these policies starts to really manifest.... the drug use, homelessness, and crime. I used to believe in drug decriminalization, but after studying human nature... not so much. We often make choices that go against the best interest of ourselves and society. I guess this argument of order vs chaos will always divide people... what people want to do versus what's good for them to do. Hedonism vs Eudaimonia.

https://mappalicious.com/2016/06/19/...-to-happiness/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxyJiN4Z2Ds

Old 06-28-2023, 01:55 PM

11,415 posts, read 7,880,844 times
Not many want to live in Minnesota regardless of the politics. It’s too darn COLD.

Old 06-28-2023, 01:59 PM

13,864 posts, read 5,080,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post

Hunting and fishing are a religion in Minnesota. Many schools close for deer season opening so kids can try for a buck.

Old 06-28-2023, 03:04 PM

8,743 posts, read 4,929,936 times
I wouldn’t want to live in Minnesota either, and I don’t even have to get to the politics part.

One word: winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies