Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does "race" exist?
Yes, therefore races can be compared. 78 64.46%
No, therefore comparisons are erroneous. 43 35.54%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 05:47 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times

Advertisements

Clinical research requires race be recorded as there is a definite difference among races with regard to drug interaction and race specific diseases.

that is the only reason race needs to be collected, other than for identification on licences, permits and perhaps census.

The left needs race counted to ensure statistical equity exists in the workplace, not diversity of ideas, just plain old virtue signaling to gain favor with the government watchdog that regulate their industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2023, 06:23 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Races definitely differ biologically and in abilities. One race being “better then another” depends on specifics. Some races are better than others at certain things.

There are countless reasons why an individual might perform better/worse than average at any given task.

Many of the correlations that might point to race as a cause for behaviors and tendencies could also point to culture associated with that race, geography, expectations, opportunities and more.

Old 06-03-2023, 06:27 AM

21,937 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If "race" is a real thing, then it is rational to judge one race as better than another, just as we judge every other subject. If "race" does not exist, then all laws, concepts, and arguments concerning it are erroneous.
I took a physical anthropology class in college in 1987. The professor (who was great) taught that race does NOT exist and that it was designed by man to classify people. There are more differences within a race than between races according to the alleles. I debated with her (when you could still do that kind of thing in college) but eventually, I saw her argument and she was a lot more educated than I was, obviously.

This lady would would probably be fired for teaching this now.

Old 06-03-2023, 06:28 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
A slight difference in skin or eye features... why are we making such a big deal of that all the time? Why is one race "better" than another "race"? Why do we even need this entire divisive, socially made up concept in the first place? Especially in socio-culturally enlightened, globally connected modern times, in the first world?
In an ideal world, you are correct. We would look at everybody as individuals.

But, I think you know that race is an issue largely because liberals have made it an issue. Liberals tell us that it is because of racism or oppression that <insert race here> have higher poverty rates or higher incarceration rates or why there is economic inequality among the races or different rates of social mobility among the races, etc.

So, we can’t help but to think in terms of race since we are constantly reminded of these things and this is the explanation that is given to us. The accusation of racism is a central tenet of our society.

Old 06-03-2023, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You don't dispute any of the science I pointed out. It just doesn't fit what you believe.
Thank God someone else went to college before 2000. I suspect it they don't teach that anymore.

Old 06-03-2023, 06:34 AM

So anyone who knows science, knows it doesn't exist. So now ask yourself the question, why does the government feel the need to classify? Yep. You got it if you said $$$.

Old 06-03-2023, 09:41 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Personally, race doesn’t contribute to this. Culture and socioeconomic status are vital when it comes to outcomes.

Did you read my post at all I'd like to ask?
If yes, do you still keep on insisting that the short legs of dachshunds vs poodles are a "social construct"?

Old 06-03-2023, 09:45 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Blacks are demonstrably better at playing basketball than other races.

We can certainly make those kinds of comparisons.

However, no race has a greater innate worth or dignity than any other race.
LOL. I'd like to see Ceelo Green dunk a basketball!

Old 06-03-2023, 10:04 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
If race exists, then, what is it, scientifically?

It's purely a social construct. Race doesn't actually exist. Everybody has a mix of different regional backgrounds in their ancestry.

If most of your genetics are from people from one continent, you are going to look a certain way. But the differences are superficial and tiny. We make a way too big deal out of it.

Let me guess? The "race" that you, are is "better" than the others, right?

Yes, you are a racist. That's essentially the definition of racism. Racism is making a big deal of this whole made up social concept of "race", and then, ranking them. Conveniently always with the race of the person who is ranking them, always on the top.

People are individuals. End of story. Race should be de-emphasized. We should strive to make it an irrelevant and outdated concept. And whatever your physical attributes, that should all be irrelevant as well.

You are probably talking about America, where the mixture is happening constantly because of people are arriving to US from the different parts of the world for the last 500 years or so.

But if you go back to the "old world" - there Europeans are still Europeans, Africans are Africans and Chinese are still Chinese.

And all these races clearly manifest not only specific to them physical features, but cultural traits as well.

Last edited by erasure; 06-03-2023 at 11:09 AM..

Old 06-03-2023, 10:11 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Genetics say yes, but to a point. If we were all made from mama Eve,,, we evolved differently. I raised the questions if there was an Eve, Marta and Sue as original mommas ? I think we will eventually find out, as they keep finding new artifacts that are even older than the ones before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies