Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 05:19 AM

37,626 posts, read 19,534,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Why not post a link to the entire story, listening to a snippet of what is obviously a much longer speech would have
allowed the listener to hear the whole story and its context, not just the alleged inflammatory line. Of course Breitbart does like the shock and awe of being able to say see what he said!
Breitbart is yellow journalism at it’s finest. Sensationalism and division sells. For the rest of us, context is everything. It’s why “Huckleberry Finn” is not banned as being racist literature.

I also noticed that Trump’s foray into prayer breakfasts wasn’t quoted as a benchmark that Joe should have used as a template. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 05:25 AM

23,468 posts, read 29,380,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
to use the same words Trump and positive in the same sentence should be a jailable offense..
Is this the same guy, when Bush led us into the Great Recession, that cried: Let's bring Clinton back!
The same guy, during Nixon's years when there were long as lines and high gas prices crying: Let's bring LBJ back!

Old 02-04-2022, 05:28 AM

14,533 posts, read 11,375,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Oh gosh! I get it now.

This thread is just another outrageous appeal to White racial animus. How naive of me to think the actual real words, and genuinely hopeful & faith filled message spoken in remarks by President Biden, at the National Prayer Breakfast, mattered.
Do ya'?

Apparently you agree with him that one entire half of the country is trying to impose "Jim Crowe 2.0" on all blacks?

So much unitin'!

Old 02-04-2022, 05:46 AM

24,264 posts, read 15,335,241 times
Quote:
Oh gosh! I get it now.

This thread is just another outrageous appeal to White racial animus. How naive of me to think the actual real words, and genuinely hopeful & faith filled message spoken in remarks by President Biden, at the National Prayer Breakfast, would matter.

Old 02-04-2022, 05:52 AM

19,331 posts, read 17,316,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Breitbart is yellow journalism at it’s finest. Sensationalism and division sells. For the rest of us, context is everything. It’s why “Huckleberry Finn” is not banned as being racist literature.

I also noticed that Trump’s foray into prayer breakfasts wasn’t quoted as a benchmark that Joe should have used as a template. Sad.
Very well stated, I have said the same thing about Breitbart. As for the former President he used this event like so many others to go off on his own agenda and call out those he feel had wronged him. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/06/trum...acquittal.html

Old 02-04-2022, 06:19 AM

5,107 posts, read 2,325,824 times
The very idea of Trump and prayer together is funny. This is about Biden, though. He is not even remotely believable when he says anything about race. The man has shown us over and over that at a minimum he thinks of blacks like children or pets, needing his white-man help and protection.

I do think he actually would like to see us become more unified, but for that to happen someone needs to take the first step forward. As the leader of the Democrats, I haven’t seen any of his speeches motivate those in his party to lay off the attacks, let alone take a step toward reconciliation. Neither side does, so don’t bother with the whatabout-ism.

Old 02-04-2022, 06:23 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,783,764 times
Biden taking time to compliment Mitch McConnell is not that shocking...BOTH are members of the Elite class, naturally they like each other.

Old 02-04-2022, 06:25 AM

25,928 posts, read 16,678,020 times
Quote:
My impression of the speech and event --- that I viewed in its entirety---is completely different from the one which you and Breitbart present.

“As I stand in this citadel of democracy, the issue for all of us is unity,” Biden told the crowd of lawmakers, faith leaders and others in Washington at the U.S. Capitol.

"How do we unite us again?” Biden said. “Unity is elusive, but it’s really actually necessary. Unity doesn’t mean we have to agree on everything, but unity is where enough of us, enough of us, believe in a core of basic things.”

The National Prayer Breakfast is a Washington tradition where politicians would set aside their partisan differences and find commonalities in their faiths. Because of the pandemic it was virtual last year, in Biden's first year as POTUS. Unfortunately, in the Trump years the president used it as a partisan & personal platform that tarnished this special gathering. Trump, at several prior prayer breakfasts, questioned the faith of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a Catholic, and Sen. Mitt Romney, a Mormon, due to differing political opinions. At his first prayer breakfast in 2017, Trump asked the crowd to “Pray for Arnold Schwarzenegger to get better ratings on The Apprentice, since he will never beat mine. Although the Emmys were always rigged and they stole mine from me many times, many many times."

This year was a positive reset, with the breakfast returning to its roots as an event to showcase unity and tradition. Breitbart probably won't report on many of the points Biden made in his speech by a president known for deep religious faith and belief in the civility and necessity of being able to work together in government. He lamented the erosion of civility in the Senate and gave some examples about a time when senators still dined together even when they disagreed on issues like segregation. "We had a lot of flat-out old segregationists still in our caucus. Didn’t agree with one another, but they treated each other with respect, even in those troubled days. We got things done. We can get things done again."

After Senate Majority Leader Schumer, and Senate Minority Leader McConnell---standing side by side---had given readings from the Old and New Testaments, President Biden lavished warm praise on McConnell, who has repeatedly attacked the president’s and Democrats’ agenda.
“Mitch, I don’t want to hurt your reputation, but we really are friends,” Biden said. “You’ve always done exactly what you’ve said. You’re a man of your word, and you’re a man of honor.”

At another point Biden recalled the horror last month, when a gunman took four worshipers hostage at a synagogue in Texas: “violence and vengeance didn’t pierce the goodness and grace of that scene.” He talked about a nearby Catholic Church that had opened its doors for the hostages’ families, and that at sunset, a group of Muslim women walked in with one of the favorite foods of the rabbi who had been taken hostage.

“It was interesting to hear the rabbi describe the scene and how faith mattered,” Biden said. “Whether in a synagogue or a church or a mosque or a temple, whether you’re religious or not, we’re all imperfect human beings trying our best, the best we can because we can’t know the future. We can’t know what’s coming. We also can’t live in fear every step of the way. That’s America.”

Biden spoke about the country living in “a moment of great division” and warned that “democracy is at grave, grave risk.”
“We pray for our nation as we face an inflection point in our history. So much is going to change no matter who’s sitting in my job. The world is changing. The world is changing. I pray that we follow what Jesus taught us: to serve rather than be served. I don’t always do it. I hope I try … I pray to keep the faith.”

I heard a speech from a good man with hope for and faith in America.
Peace & health to all.
Did he call anyone a dumb mofo on hot mic?

Old 02-04-2022, 06:27 AM

25,928 posts, read 16,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post

I think it was more Trump showcasing the lunacy of these evil old toads acting like they have faith in anything beyond their worldly ambitions. Trump was honest at least.

Old 02-04-2022, 06:33 AM

27,463 posts, read 15,568,184 times
Quote:

"How do we unite us again?” Biden said. “Unity is elusive, but it’s really actually necessary. Unity doesn’t mean we have to agree on everything, but unity is where enough of us, enough of us, believe in a core of basic things.”
If only Biden et al believed in a core of basic things that had anything to do with our Founding precepts and principles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies