Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 04:40 AM

37,185 posts, read 19,241,897 times

Advertisements

Trying to cash in by commercializing a race or culture is called “exploitation” on a good day. There are a lot stronger terms available that can’t be mentioned here. This is going to rightfully cost them in a number of ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 04:53 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,179,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I disagree.

Bath and Body Works messed this up tremendously.

Let me say, I’ve been a Bath and Body Works customer for over 25 years. I am not super obsessed, but I use their fragrances and body care pretty much exclusively. I am in chat groups about the brand.

Here are the many ways the company failed:

• they copied the packaging from a trademarked design by a black artist who lives outside the US. They have a history of doing this.

• they put a watermelon scented candle with the lineup. Are they trolling? Why not make fried chicken soap too?

they made a 3 in 1 shampoo / body wash / conditioner. This isn’t a product black women would actually use.

• they have this display table set up in every store in America. I live in one of the whitest states in the country. I go to my store at least once a week, sometimes more, and I have never ever seen a black customer nor a black emplyee in my store. Who is supposed to buy all this?

• the pandering started during the BLM summer of love. Enough said.

• recently, there has been a Tik Tok challenge claiming that if you bring in empty, completely burned candles or other empty products, that you can get new ones because of the Bath and Body Works satisfaction guarantee. Guess which segment of the population is going around doing this. And if a clerk refuses, they are threatened and harassed and filmed. The company is in a terrible position cause of this. They are changing return policies because of this, and currently return policies vary by location.

There is a lot more to this than meets the eye.
They weren’t actually trying to appeal to black women, they were attempting to appeal to “allies” by showing how inclusive they are. Their base is white women, and honestly, I’ve seen more young white women screeching about equity and defund the police than black women this last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I get this, it's like slapping a rainbow version of whatever during pride month. Remember when people used to joke about Valentiens Day being made up by greeting card companies? Well guess what....
Bingo

Old 02-04-2022, 04:58 AM

8,781 posts, read 5,074,069 times
Like every other company,bath & body works, are running out of ideas.....Little Debbie is now making ice cream.....are you listening Brandon

Old 02-04-2022, 05:09 AM

8,054 posts, read 10,647,775 times
Overreach is their downfall.

These companies and their out-of-touch ivory tower types don't know reality, and don't know when to quit while they're ahead.

Old 02-04-2022, 05:35 AM

14,962 posts, read 12,173,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
I think you might have something there, . . .

When I was a child, getting my mouth washed out with soap, wouldn't have been so bad with something like that.
Or maybe you'd have liked the watermelon soap better?

Old 02-04-2022, 05:40 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,734,981 times
Blacklash!

Old 02-04-2022, 05:53 AM

4,918 posts, read 2,064,729 times
Well, being half Black, this is a non issue to me since it’s only soap. I’m more worried about inflation, crime in our cities, and a possible war with Russia… Along with having a POTUS with pumpkin mush for brains.

Corporate America needs to learn to stay away from “sheet” like this AND all the other political BS. Plus, they need to remember that old saying that you can make everybody happy. In today’s world, you can’t appease the WOKE crowd no matter what, so why try??

I’ll admit that the watermelon scent seriously missed the target with anybody of African American descent. I’d bet that they kicked around the ideal of a warm buttered cornbread with honey scent before settling for the watermelon one!!

You would have thought somebody with a half of a brain could have saw this one coming!!

Old 02-04-2022, 06:23 AM

36,577 posts, read 30,907,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I disagree.

Bath and Body Works messed this up tremendously.

Let me say, I’ve been a Bath and Body Works customer for over 25 years. I am not super obsessed, but I use their fragrances and body care pretty much exclusively. I am in chat groups about the brand.

Here are the many ways the company failed:

• they copied the packaging from a trademarked design by a black artist who lives outside the US. They have a history of doing this.

• they put a watermelon scented candle with the lineup. Are they trolling? Why not make fried chicken soap
too?

• they made a 3 in 1 shampoo / body wash / conditioner. This isn’t a product black women would actually use.

• they have this display table set up in every store in America. I live in one of the whitest states in the country. I go to my store at least once a week, sometimes more, and I have never ever seen a black customer nor a black emplyee in my store. Who is supposed to buy all this?

• the pandering started during the BLM summer of love. Enough said.

• recently, there has been a Tik Tok challenge claiming that if you bring in empty, completely burned candles or other empty products, that you can get new ones because of the Bath and Body Works satisfaction guarantee. Guess which segment of the population is going around doing this. And if a clerk refuses, they are threatened and harassed and filmed. The company is in a terrible position cause of this. They are changing return policies because of this, and currently return policies vary by location.

There is a lot more to this than meets the eye.
Well hopefully they will take all those products off the shelf and do away with their acknowledgement of black history month or black anything and never ever try to pander again.

Old 02-04-2022, 06:27 AM

1,866 posts, read 935,423 times
Are they trying to lure black customers from a competing brand?
What's the purpose of doing this?

Old 02-04-2022, 06:29 AM

10,493 posts, read 4,057,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

Reading the asinine complaints on Twitter makes you want to bang your head against the wall again and again and again. How about showing some appreciation that any company showed some 'love' towards your cause.

Little wonder why race relations will never improve in our country, and it sure ain't nothing to do with what critical race theory teaches.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/bath...140731558.html
I bet you most of those people complaining aren't even Black.

Just look at the biggest critics of Adam Calhoun when he dropped his signature song, "Racism". It wasn't the Black people getting their panties in a bunch because he said the "N" word, it was your White soy boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies