Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 07:56 AM

4,752 posts, read 3,019,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Sorry but nobody underestimates the number of single adult males in their parents' basements

We're talking broader society here
Metaverses are freaking huge. Video games are essentially going to transition all to VR overtime and that is big by itself. Now you add in social media uses, like in the virtual world you buy a house next to your cousin who lives on the other side of the world, but in the VR world yall are right next to each other. Instead of calling you'll go knock on their door and their VR will vibrate or something. Possibilities are really endless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 08:02 AM

17,522 posts, read 12,494,909 times
Apple did this effectively. By allowing users to block tracking, so no more targeted ads. So advertisers took their money elsewhere.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:08 AM

6,094 posts, read 2,312,467 times
Facebook lost people and it was not for political reasons. I know you guys want to feel important but in the world of Social Media your not. It's a repeat of the Myspace story.

The Social Media power users are Teens to early '20s and they do not use Facebook, that is for their parents as far as they are concerned.

I would argue Facebook would be much lower if not for the purchase of Instagram and its tie-in to Facebook. Instagram along with Tik Tok and YouTube are the platforms young people use.

Anyone that has teenagers or young adult kids understands this. Facebook is only to talk to older family members who are on there, share pics with mom stuff.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:15 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Facebook lost people and it was not for political reasons. I know you guys want to feel important but in the world of Social Media your not. It's a repeat of the Myspace story.

The Social Media power users are Teens to early '20s and they do not use Facebook, that is for their parents as far as they are concerned.

I would argue Facebook would be much lower if not for the purchase of Instagram and its tie-in to Facebook. Instagram along with Tik Tok and YouTube are the platforms young people use.

Anyone that has teenagers or young adult kids understands this. Facebook is only to talk to older family members who are on there, share pics with mom stuff.
I disagree. Facebook lost a lot of people due to their heavy handed censorship policies and while it may not be the most popular platform for younger people they still use it to some degree.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:19 AM

19,062 posts, read 14,357,110 times
Blame Mewe. LOL.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:21 AM

927 posts, read 600,224 times
Watch the stocks go back up a month later via funny money. That's the part of the article they DON'T tell you on here.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:52 AM

1,517 posts, read 547,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Not going to lie, I've warmed up to TikTok. Yes, just like with Vines, there's a lot of stupid things on there, but there's a lot of funny stuff on there, cute stuff (pets) on there.

I watch mostly animal ones, but with humans, right now my favorite is Khaby Lame. He cracks me up, every time.

There's a lot of military coming home video's to the red white and blue song. These are so beautiful and heart warming.

Lot of nature and comedy video's as well.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:09 AM

17,522 posts, read 12,494,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
There's a lot of military coming home video's to the red white and blue song. These are so beautiful and heart warming.

Lot of nature and comedy video's as well.
It is funny when people complain that it's just a bunch of teenagers dancing....what you are shown depends on what you have watched.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:20 AM

24,994 posts, read 9,742,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Metaverses are freaking huge. Video games are essentially going to transition all to VR overtime and that is big by itself. Now you add in social media uses, like in the virtual world you buy a house next to your cousin who lives on the other side of the world, but in the VR world yall are right next to each other. Instead of calling you'll go knock on their door and their VR will vibrate or something. Possibilities are really endless.
Wrong.

Metaverse, VR, virtual reality, etc. is simply not there yet. Not even close.

It will take a LONG time before VR looks like the movie “Tron or Ready Player 1.”

Also, you have to consider ethics. Will you be able to loot, assault, rob, arson, and break laws in the “metaverse” because the real life trolls and criminals will have access to it too. Just like criminals use internet access to buy drugs and hire hitmen, not everyone will use the meta verse for good.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:23 AM

7,075 posts, read 9,582,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Wrong.

Metaverse, VR, virtual reality, etc. is simply not there yet. Not even close.

It will take a LONG time before VR looks like the movie “Tron or Ready Player 1.”

Also, you have to consider ethics. Will you be able to loot, assault, rob, arson, and break laws in the “metaverse” because the real life trolls and criminals will have access to it too. Just like criminals use internet access to buy drugs and hire hitmen, not everyone will use the meta verse for good.
I’m in my late 30s. I’ve decided that I’m not interested in -any- of this, anymore, especially given the culture of “big tech” companies.

Instead, I’m focusing more time on reading books, getting better at musical instruments, spending time with my family, and living life in the real world and less time on social media and it’s great. Life is short!

Re: Facebook, one aspect I liked was the ability to keep in touch with family and friends who live far away. However, I don’t feel comfortable with how my personal data is used and I don’t care for the political leanings of Mark Zuckerberg and many of the employees who work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies