Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 08:07 AM

22,321 posts, read 9,880,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I actually feel bad for whoever the nominee will be. Because she could have an absolutely impressive list of achievements and qualifications, but everyone will think of her as “she’s there because she’s a black woman.”

Sort of like Kamala Harris. I can’t stand her, but at the same time, nobody really ever talks about her background or accomplishments (not that they are very impressive to begin with); she’s always thought of as “she’s the person who checked boxes for race and gender” which IS sad.

But hey, overt racism is okay in today’s Democrat party, just as long as it’s the “right” kind of racism.
I don't. Whoever he picks will be thrilled that they got the position and won't care if they are actually qualified, just like Kamala.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 08:14 AM

27,570 posts, read 15,636,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
It is Constitutional. Just like Gorsuch, Kavanaugh were.
I don't recall race being their qualification for consideration......because it wasn't.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:18 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,941,387 times
You can blame Reagan for this trend.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-0ab3a5e76865/

Old 01-27-2022, 08:19 AM

14,225 posts, read 5,804,784 times
There is no application measurement for SCOTUS appointments that he violates by saying that he will only consider a minority female. All the Constitution says on the matter is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Constitution, Article 2, Section 2, in part
He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court
(emphasis mine).

That's it. That's all. Nothing about how those appointments are to be chosen. Totally up to the President's whims and whimsy for the nomination, and the Senate's majority yea to seat the appointment.

If you wish the Constitution to hold sway, and you want the federal government to do only that which is enumerated, then the President using any reason they can conjure up as their basis for a SCOTUS nomination is PERFECTLY CONSTITUTIONAL. If Biden said he will only nominate a one eyed paraplegic because he thinks it would be cool for SCOTUS to have a pirate on wheels...that is perfectly constitutional. He can be as boorish, racist, demagogic and ignorant as he likes. Nothing stopping it.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:20 AM

6,421 posts, read 3,091,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
How is it racist to choose someone whose race and gender have never before been represented on the Supreme Court? Isn't it the opposite of racism to bring racial balance to the court?

You know, to get the perspectives of all kinds of people on the decisions to be made.
Huh? There are three woman on the Supreme Court and there's a black person. What are you talking about? If you chose someone based solely on their skin color and gender, that means you discriminated against everyone else because of their skin color and gender. That's racist and sexist. But, the Democrats are for 'equailty'....

I'm not surprised to see racism and sexism being okay with Democrats. Jim Crow never left the Democratic Party.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:21 AM

11,208 posts, read 4,885,204 times
again, as stated elsewhere, Im going to hang my hope that senate, the legit senate* will put a stop either in committee or floor vote to stop a nominee sent in to blow the USSC up.

* legit = GOP + manchin + sinema. the rest are advertising as subversive cowards with no balls.

Biden can nominate my dead grandmother and that should be rejected as well.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:22 AM

45,671 posts, read 24,259,975 times
Nobody complained when Trump proudly boasted that he would be appointing a woman -- wasn't sure which one from the list -- but that it would be a woman.

Come on kids.......you can do better.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:23 AM

10,967 posts, read 7,430,174 times
Is it racist? Yes
Is it unconstitutional? Yes

Old 01-27-2022, 08:24 AM

5,313 posts, read 5,308,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So that makes Coney's appointment unconstitutional?

“It will be a woman. A very talented, very brilliant woman who I haven’t chosen yet, but we have a number of women on the list,” the president promised cheering supporters at an evening rally in Fayetteville, NC.
https://nypost.com/2020/09/19/trump-...g-within-days/
I wouldnt say thats much better. But at least it doesnt disqualify 93% of the United States population, only 50%. It seems gender discrimination isnt near the trigger that racial discrimination is.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:25 AM

7,744 posts, read 3,821,169 times
republicans shouldn’t get too hung up on Breyers retirement because its just trading a liberal for another liberal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies