Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:34 PM

403 posts, read 749,725 times

Advertisements

Neo-realist scholars, John Mearsheimer and Stephen M. Walt talk about Israel lobby, Realist Foreign policy school and U.S interest.

John mearsheimer is a father of offensive realism, while Stephen Walt believes in 'defensive realism' and favors 'offshore balancing' policy' for U.S.

Its about 60 minutes.

YouTube - Conversations With History - John Mearsheimer & Steve Walt

P.S----- The bald guy with the light beard is Stephan Walt and among the two. He is the more 'nice' realist, IF of course there is such a thing as a 'nice realist'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 08:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,249,453 times
In a word? Yes... And they have been for a long time. They are also a financial burden.
They are a security risk. Stealing state secrets and selling them to our enemies. The secret of how our subs are made so quiet. Secrets to China.
They have attacked a US Naval ship and escaped accountability. With friends like Israel who needs enemies.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:48 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,210,427 times
If you enjoyed the movie, you will enjoy their book which is one of the most well documented and researched books ever written on the subject. (over 130 pages of footnotes)

I have asked the question of what strategic benefit there is in having our "special" relationship with Israel, but at best the replies are basically, "because".

Chapter 2 specifically discusses the question of assets verses liabilities that our relationship with Israel gives us. Also, chapters 5 and 6 were interesting as it discussed Israels role in helping to shape US foreign policy in the region and how public discourse is dominated by a pro-Israeli view in the US.

through researching the numerous footnotes, one thing that I found most striking, and much to the credit of Israel is the level of discourse on this subject within Israel itself. Unlike here in the US, this consensus view that Israel must be coddled like a child and protected at all cost is one that is not as widely held as many in the US may think. There appears to be a growing sentiment inside Israel that our relationship as it is constructed today is becoming a greater hindrance to both Israel and the United States.

While I suspect most will likely disagree with me, I don't believe that Israel is a strategic asset to the US either politically, economically, or diplomatically. This may change in the future but places like Diego Garcia, Turkey, and even at the moment, Baghdad are far more strategically valuable than Israel.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:57 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,249,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
If you enjoyed the movie, you will enjoy their book which is one of the most well documented and researched books ever written on the subject. (over 130 pages of footnotes)

I have asked the question of what strategic benefit there is in having our "special" relationship with Israel, but at best the replies are basically, "because".

Chapter 2 specifically discusses the question of assets verses liabilities that our relationship with Israel gives us. Also, chapters 5 and 6 were interesting as it discussed Israels role in helping to shape US foreign policy in the region and how public discourse is dominated by a pro-Israeli view in the US.

through researching the numerous footnotes, one thing that I found most striking, and much to the credit of Israel is the level of discourse on this subject within Israel itself. Unlike here in the US, this consensus view that Israel must be coddled like a child and protected at all cost is one that is not as widely held as many in the US may think. There appears to be a growing sentiment inside Israel that our relationship as it is constructed today is becoming a greater hindrance to both Israel and the United States.

While I suspect most will likely disagree with me, I don't believe that Israel is a strategic asset to the US either politically, economically, or diplomatically. This may change in the future but places like Diego Garcia, Turkey, and even at the moment, Baghdad are far more strategically valuable than Israel.
Beautiful post....

Old 05-19-2008, 10:06 PM

To give you some insight into the volatile nature of Israeli politics, check this out.

The duly elected Prime Minister of the newly formed Kadima Party (fairly moderate) wishes to negotiate with the Palestinian Authority, not even Hamas, and yet the very hard right, pro-war party of Likud (Benjamin Netanyhu) would rather hold their entire election process sooner than to negotiate. Now if that isn't contentious, I don't know what is. Being Olmert is already under investigation for voter fraud, there is a good chance that Netanyhu will be once again the next Prime Minister of Israel, followed soon after by full scale military assault on Gaza and airstrikes in Iran. (both items being strongly pushed in the Knesset by Netanyhu at this very moment)

I actually had some hopes with Olmert and the fledgling Kadima Party, so much for that idea.

Netanyahu: No mandate to negotiate - Politics & Government - Israel News - Arutz Sheva

Quote:
(IsraelNN.com) Likud Party Chairman and opposition leader Binyamin Netanyahu called for early elections Monday, and said Prime Minister Olmert and the current government have no mandate to negotiate with the Palestinian Authority.

"This government has no mandate to negotiate the borders of this country or to divide its capital city," he told a meeting of the Likud Knesset faction. "The government must go back to the people and allow the nation to choose its leadership once again."

Old 05-19-2008, 10:39 PM

715 posts, read 2,088,808 times
Israel in two short words.

Big Mistake.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:40 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,276,057 times
A lot of liberals are suggesting the US cut ties with Israel. I say that the day America turns her back on Israel is the day we seal our fate as a nation. The Bible says God will bless the allies of Israel but will curse her enemies. If you look at history from Hitler back to Egypt, and nation that went against Israel did meet its fate. It will be no different in the future.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
A lot of liberals are suggesting the US cut ties with Israel. I say that the day America turns her back on Israel is the day we seal our fate as a nation. The Bible says God will bless the allies of Israel but will curse her enemies. If you look at history from Hitler back to Egypt, and nation that went against Israel did meet its fate. It will be no different in the future.
So Hilter was against Israel... oh, nevermind, forget it.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:50 PM

715 posts, read 2,088,808 times
How does America turning its back on isreal seal its fate, its neither here or there so whats your point??

Old 05-20-2008, 03:41 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,876,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I'm afraid you don't get it. Israel is not strategically valuable because of its position, the US has no bases in Israel so it's location in the Middle East really doesn't matter.

Israel is strategically valuable because it provides the US with an attack dog in the region. Israel can and arguably has done America's dirty work when it is not in US interests to do it itself.

Is Israel perfect morally or as an ally? Not at all. There are many morally questionable aspects to Israel's actions and Israel has worked with nations potentially hostile or semi-hostile towards the US. However, the US has also worked with nations hostile towards Israel, such as let's say virtually the entire Middle East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies