Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 09:53 AM

29,528 posts, read 22,729,268 times

Advertisements

Expect more of this in the coming year.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/court-rul...125800914.html

Quote:
South Madison School officials found themselves navigating issues related to the district's LGBTQ+ student community, including equal access for the Gay Straight Alliance and the displaying of pride flags by teachers.

A federal court two weeks ago ordered the district to provide equal rights to the LGBTQ+ students at Pendleton Heights High School, who said though they were allowed to form the club, the administration prevented them from advertising activities, raising funds or being listed in the student handbook. The decision was part of a temporary injunction that is part of an ongoing lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 09:58 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,816,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

I certainly hope so.

Nothing wrong about allowing students to form a club, advertising the club, fund raising for the club or being listed in the student handbook.

Does the ruling threaten you?

Old 12-31-2021, 10:00 AM

21,181 posts, read 19,792,767 times
If kids want to have a club, they should have it outside of school. School is for education, not socializing. The same goes for sports.

I (should) have a say in how my tax dollars are spent.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:02 AM

29,610 posts, read 16,598,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If kids want to have a club, they should have it outside of school. School is for education, not socializing. The same goes for sports.

dang my other post made you rethink your entire philosophy.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:05 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 20 days ago)

35,676 posts, read 18,045,481 times
Quote:

Socializing, and learning leadership skills and team player skills is an ENORMOUS part of education for children.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,816,302 times
Quote:

High schools have clubs.

Other than use of unused physical space to gather, most high school clubs do not use public funds.

There are about 14,000 school districts in the US.

Consider running for your local school board vacancy on a platform of eliminating sports and clubs.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:12 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,967,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
High schools have clubs.

Other than use of unused physical space to gather, most high school clubs do not use public funds.

There are about 14,000 school districts in the US.

Consider running for your local school board vacancy on a platform of eliminating sports and clubs.
How about consider running for school board on a platform of Equal Rights, for ALL.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:43 AM

3,090 posts, read 3,273,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

I agree the club should have the exact same rights as any other club, that's straight forward.

What some people are glossing over is the issue of teachers having pride flags in their classroom. Generally I think it makes sense to allow the flags in those classrooms where the flag is somehow related to the coursework _and_ similar types of flags can also be displayed. However, generally I think it's a bad idea to allow classrooms to become pulpits for teachers pushing agendas and would generally be against any symbology whose primary purpose is to push that agenda. However, if you allow one, then you must allow all, just like the clubs.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:03 AM

10,515 posts, read 4,074,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
I agree the club should have the exact same rights as any other club, that's straight forward.

What some people are glossing over is the issue of teachers having pride flags in their classroom. Generally I think it makes sense to allow the flags in those classrooms where the flag is somehow related to the coursework _and_ similar types of flags can also be displayed. However, generally I think it's a bad idea to allow classrooms to become pulpits for teachers pushing agendas and would generally be against any symbology whose primary purpose is to push that agenda. However, if you allow one, then you must allow all, just like the clubs.
Yeah, the only flags allowed in the classroom should be only the country, state or school flag. Can't have a rainbow flag in the school classroom anymore than you can have the Bible.

Old 12-31-2021, 12:25 PM

1,300 posts, read 963,583 times
The right to form clubs and display pride flags. Why is there even resistance to this. Shouldn't be an issue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies