Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel that you have experienced voter suppression?
Yes 22 17.60%
No 103 82.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 06:51 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,582,629 times

Advertisements

Not at all. Someone came around during the last election with a stack of ballots. I was able to fill out 20 of them and they took them right back. Gave me a lollipop and everything for my participation in the process. Didn't ask me for an ID and I was in my bathrobe and fuzzy slippers the whole time. Easiest voting experience of my life.

Old 12-30-2021, 09:20 AM

36,577 posts, read 30,915,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/62583542-post120.html

Yes, as shown above I clarified later on in the thread, but most probably won't see it. What I'm addressing is the claim that many are using to try to change "racist" voting laws. I guess I assumed everyone would know what I was referring to.

It just seems like if voting is important to you, you could figure it out for one day out of the year, basically, depending on what you're voting on. The reasons people are giving seem to be more of an issue of getting their lives together rather than suppression. I do understand that I'm lucky I'm in good health, not poor, etc., but then how do people in more unfortunate circumstances get anything else done?
My state has voter ID laws. My voting precinct is very rural and poor and there are a lot of Elderly folks. It is 97% white, the county is 94% white. I dont know of any issues with folks having difficulty either getting an ID or being able to get to the polls or absentee or early vote. My grands were born from 1896 to 1907 and my parents from 1921 to 1930. In the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains most were born at home back then yet all were able to get birth certificates and IDs. Of course they passed before the voter ID laws but they had ID and were able to get to the polls although only one grandparent drove.
So, is it just skin color that prevents one from obtaining need documents? Apparently, poverty, age, lack of personal or public transportation or lack of advanced formal education doesn't affect white peoples ability vote.

Old 12-31-2021, 06:15 AM

59,185 posts, read 27,388,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I have to drive an hour, 35 miles through 3 counties, from work to the polls.
It was better when the polling place was at the senior center because they always had chili or soup and pie. Now it is at the volunteer fire dept., no refreshments.
"no refreshments"

Nothing stopping YOU from providing them! It IS called a "VOLUNTEER" fire dept.

Some gripe about a things and they never do anything themselves!

"I have to drive an hour, 35 miles. So did I and I volunteered after I voted.

Old 01-04-2022, 02:01 PM

36,577 posts, read 30,915,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"no refreshments"

Nothing stopping YOU from providing them! It IS called a "VOLUNTEER" fire dept.

Some gripe about a things and they never do anything themselves!

"I have to drive an hour, 35 miles. So did I and I volunteered after I voted.
Well good for you. Your a better person than I to have time for training to volunteer rather than be paid, Work 8 hours plus the hour and 1/2 commute time, go home make chili and pie for 200 people, and get to the polls to volunteer (doing what I'm not sure). You must really be good at time management.

And BTW, I'm not griping. I stated I liked voting at the senior center better than at the volunteer fire building because the seniors provided refreshments.
Im not sure what having a volunteer fire department rather than a paid fire department has to do with voting.
My point was many people have to travel miles to get to the polls on election day, its not voter suppression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies