Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 12:13 PM

3,864 posts, read 2,235,072 times

Advertisements

"Lah-tee-no" political organizations couldn't wait for the new census data to come out just so they could use the new data to make all manner of ridiculous political claims and appropriate money and resources.

Nothing about "hispanic/latino" ethnicity is even real. It's a term that means nothing. They're not even a community. The whole concept is fake. But political organizations need the label for the purpose of politics.

Latinos' next census task: Get money and power through redistricting

Quote:
Here and there around the country, Latino advocacy groups have been instructing people on money and political power — and how to get it.

The groups are trying to help growing communities of Latinos understand the next step following the 2020 census results: having a say in how their neighborhoods, towns, cities, counties, regions and states will be thrown together or split apart in the highly partisan redistricting process.

The task is not an easy one. Redistricting is wonky and chock-full of behind-closed-doors maneuvering. But it has an oversize impact on people's lives, to the tune of billions of dollars as well as government decision-making power from Congress to school boards to local commissions and councils.

The latest set of numbers from the 2020 census are scheduled for release Thursday. They will include demographic data and should show Latinos' significant impact on the nation's population growth.

The census figures are the official start of the process of subdividing state populations into legislative districts. Many states have already started drawing proposed maps and holding community hearings ahead of drawing new districts that will be in place for a decade.

In North Carolina, redistricting is one of the classes in the People Power school organized by Poder NC Action, a civic education “school” on how power operates, said Irene Godínez, founder and director of Poder.

The group is targeting high school and college age Latinos and generally has about 30 participants in classes that meet a couple hours a week, Godínez said. Redistricting was a topic of one of the classes.

“We know our people were undercounted, so what we will get will be flawed because of that undercount,” she said. “Obviously we will try to make the best of it.”

The data released Thursday will give official numbers for the past decade. Based on the estimates, North Carolina’s Hispanic population has grown faster than its overall population, and about a quarter of the Hispanic increase is in Mecklenburg and Wake counties.

The Latino population grew from about 75,000 in 1990 to 800,000 in 2010 and an estimated 226,000 in the past decade, according to Carolina Demography.

North Carolina gained a congressional seat, for a total of 14, because it gained about 1 million people during the last decade. The Legislature draws its congressional and legislative districts.

New districts can be drawn where new populations have emerged, but lines for existing districts have to be adjusted to equal out population. Doing so can change the demographic, economic and political preferences of the district.

That's where the political wrangling sets in, as parties and groups try to draw lines that benefit their incumbents and future candidates.
We need to get "Hispanic" label OFF all census and government forms before 2030, so this madness can stop. There's no reason to keep data on all people of "Spanish-speaking" origin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 06:45 PM

63,002 posts, read 29,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolmudA10 View Post
I'm literally from a Hispanic Latino community. Majority speak Spanish and know one another.

IT'S NOT A RACE. BUT, we have a community and sub-communities. Not always about skin color since we are different shades.

Doesn't matter how you label them they are taking over our country via illegal immigration. That is neither natural nor lawful. Many of those who are citizens of our country have an ethnocentric tribal mentality that trumps our immigration laws also as they are demanding amnesty for their illegal amigos therefore I don't respect those types of Hispanic/Latinos.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:03 PM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
"Illegal Amigos".

Subtle.

Anyways, we like to get around. My brother is dating a white girl. They're getting married, ending a white bloodline. But it doesn't matter to her or her family because who cares...
If you are here legally no one does care. I'm tired of getting lumped in with a bunch of border jumpers I have no relation too.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:43 PM

1,153 posts, read 632,373 times
Quote:
I'm literally from a Hispanic Latino community. Majority speak Spanish and know one another.

IT'S NOT A RACE. BUT, we have a community and sub-communities. Not always about skin color since we are different shades.
I'm not Latino but I grew up around them, traveled to Latin America, and befriended many.

Only on the surface level is there a true "Hispanic" community. But, in reality, many Hispanics tend to view their individual heritages and cultures as disparate from other Hispanic groups. Cubans don't view El Paso as a hub for them like Hialeah. Mexicans don't view Washington Heights in NYC as a hub for them like San Antonio. Etc. American Hispanics or legal immigrants don't sympathize wtih Illegal ones as much as people think.

At most, Hispanics will bond due to linguistics and hailing from a similar region but there's no truly unified Hispanic community in the USA.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:48 PM

4,409 posts, read 1,711,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Doesn't matter how you label them they are taking over our country via illegal immigration. That is neither natural nor lawful. Many of those who are citizens of our country have an ethnocentric tribal mentality that trumps our immigration laws also as they are demanding amnesty for their illegal amigos therefore I don't respect those types of Hispanic/Latinos.
I have to laugh at this. You have an ethnocentric tribal mentality yourself, which is why you are so ant-hispanic, but then are all paranoid when another ethnicity does the same. I am a Hispanic citizen in CA, and sometimes I wonder what world you are talking about when you spew your rhetoric. It’s also amusing to see (what I assume is) a white male try to tell me what the Hispanic community and Hispanic culture is like. LOL.

Their “illegal amigos?” Anytime I see a non-hispanic refer to Hispanics as “amigos,” it’s usually a sign that I’m dealing with a racist.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:51 PM

1,153 posts, read 632,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I have to laugh at this. You have an ethnocentric tribal mentality yourself, which is why you are so ant-hispanic, but then are all paranoid when another ethnicity does the same. I am a Hispanic citizen in CA, and sometimes I wonder what world you are talking about when you spew your rhetoric. It’s also amusing to see (what I assume is) a white male try to tell me what the Hispanic community and Hispanic culture is like. LOL.

Their “illegal amigos?” Anytime I see a non-hispanic refer to Hispanics as “amigos,” it’s usually a sign that I’m dealing with a racist.
I don't support illegal immigration but this is on point. I think people forget that you can be proud of your heritage while also being patriotic. The average Mexican American has no affiliation with La Raza or Mecha.

I live in the Northeast where Italian Americans, Irish Americans, Puerto Ricans, Jews, etc. tend to be quite ethnocentric or prideful of their heritages while still being pro-American.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:01 PM

4,409 posts, read 1,711,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
I don't support illegal immigration but this is on point. I think people forget that you can be proud of your heritage while also being patriotic. The average Mexican American has no affiliation with La Raza or Mecha.

I live in the Northeast where Italian Americans, Irish Americans, Puerto Ricans, Jews, etc. tend to be quite ethnocentric or prideful of their heritages while still being pro-American.
I don’t even KNOW anyone in Mexico, muchless have “amigos” there. Both sides of my family are from El Paso, TX, and now have at LEAST 5 generations in the US on one side of the family, and at least six on the other. Apparently this is the slowest invasion of a country in the history of the world. Another 100 years, and it’ll be all ours!

Old 08-16-2021, 08:03 PM

7,188 posts, read 4,774,809 times
ethnocentric tribal mentality?

That’s a laugh. That sounds like you.

So, I’d say the folks who live in Appalachia ARE an ethnocentric tribe that speaks Hick.

You’re probably a descendant.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:06 PM

7,188 posts, read 4,774,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
Dude, he should run. I have a friend whose brother married a white girl. She falsely accused him of assault. He almost lost his career in the army over it. It's not worth it.
Sounds like the usual skanks marauding around military bases. They know the UCMJ better than a lot of troops do.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:44 PM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
I'm sorry that you are having to go through that. Remember, you can be mad, but just be mad at those who are racist against you and try to stereotype you as a "border jumper"
It would help if it wasn't almost one race doing the law breaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies