Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 07:21 AM

8,940 posts, read 2,961,809 times

Advertisements

You've got to hand it to her, she has played this beautifully. When you know you don't have it, claim mental health problems!

She knows the media will kick into overdrive to say she's "brave" and she is "showing us all that mental health is serious," etc.

There are already stories about how "selfless" she is and "should we really be putting this kind of pressure on people for the silly endeavor of representing their country?," etc.

She's going to be more famous now than if she just did what was expected and won the gold medal! No one cares about that crap anymore....besides, the country she's winning for is racist anyway!

We used to call this choking. Not answering the bell. Letting your teammates down, etc. Playing and losing is one thing....not even showing up....that was the worst! The media would have criticized her. The country would have felt let down. But not any longer. This is the product of the "trophy for all" mentality in all its glory!

NO ONE will be able to criticize her...for fear of being called a racist, or a sexist, or a "mental health phobe" etc. It's absolutely brilliant! Congrats to her and to the media for creating a dumbed down society that cares more about personal stories and victimhood than actually showing up and taking responsibility and winning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 07:24 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,581,430 times
I disagree. I think she has a certain personality that is not like the hidden agenda type that you describe her as. therefore, i think we can believe her when she says she quit because she was not mentally up to it.

I do believe her when she says the environment of the Olympics has changed, the covid restrictions, the no fans in the audience, the politics of it all, who wants to perform with all that. I think a lot of outside factors ruined it.

She does not present herself as a BLM type, so i disagree with your last sentence.

Look at her like a person, not as an activist.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:29 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
who wants to perform with all that.
Apparently the rest of her teammates

Old 07-28-2021, 07:31 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Right on cue it's a plot.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:31 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
You've got to hand it to her, she has played this beautifully. When you know you don't have it, claim mental health problems!

She knows the media will kick into overdrive to say she's "brave" and she is "showing us all that mental health is serious," etc.

There are already stories about how "selfless" she is and "should we really be putting this kind of pressure on people for the silly endeavor of representing their country?," etc.

She's going to be more famous now than if she just did what was expected and won the gold medal! No one cares about that crap anymore....besides, the country she's winning for is racist anyway!

We used to call this choking. Not answering the bell. Letting your teammates down, etc. Playing and losing is one thing....not even showing up....that was the worst! The media would have criticized her. The country would have felt let down. But not any longer. This is the product of the "trophy for all" mentality in all its glory!

NO ONE will be able to criticize her...for fear of being called a racist, or a sexist, or a "mental health phobe" etc. It's absolutely brilliant! Congrats to her and to the media for creating a dumbed down society that cares more about personal stories and victimhood than actually showing up and taking responsibility and winning!
How do you know her state of mind. She is a young athelete who has been in the spotlight for a long time. Has a great deal of stress on her to be the GOAT. She apparently was abused as a youth by the team doctor. She has not been able to llive a normal life. Some people can handle it better than others. Some people have even more difficulties than her.

Maybe she "didn't have it" because of mental difficulties instead of using it as an excuse. Gymnastics at that level is a lot mental.

This is coming from a guy (me) who's first answer to depression is keep going and get out of it. But that doesn't work for everyone.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:33 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Mental health doesn't necessarily mean what you think it means. She slipped up, has lost confidence, and is getting all up in her head. That happens.

I'm not happy that she bowed out because that's not fair to the team, but I get that she has to put her own safety first. She could have wiped out so badly it could have permanently damaged her. She probably feels it's best not to take that risk, given her current mental state.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:34 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
I haven't read all the stories about this latest development.....did she actually perform the Yurchenko manuever or not?

I love this woman so it's hard to accept that she wanted to drop out, but I've seen the FB videos about her life and training and can't imagine this was an easy decision to make. Even last year, she was saying she was concerned that she might not be up to the task (as if ) but that is her call, right?

And she did have enormous pressure on her shoulders. In all honestly, I was only watching the Olympics to see HER. Can you name anyone else on the US Women's Olympic Gymnastic Team? I can't.

7,908 posts, read 3,453,049 times
She choked. She had her reasons, and it doesn't make her a horrible person, but at the end of the day she choked. A GOAT doesn't choke.

8,940 posts, read 2,961,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
How do you know her state of mind. She is a young athelete who has been in the spotlight for a long time. Has a great deal of stress on her to be the GOAT. She apparently was abused as a youth by the team doctor. She has not been able to llive a normal life. Some people can handle it better than others. Some people have even more difficulties than her.

This is coming from a guy (me) who's first answer to depression is keep going and get out of it. But that doesn't work for everyone.
I know I know. She's a victim.

She took all that dough for all those endorsements as "The Goat," but then she just bails out in crunch time.

Everyone has problems buddy. Her problems are a mole hill compared to people with real problems. She's a rich girl with every privilege possible and with talent most people can't even dream of.

The sob story stuff is kind of getting old.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:35 AM

1,701 posts, read 781,468 times
Honestly OP it sounds like she's living rent free in your head, nothing she does will ever impact you in any way shape or form. She's not a federal, state or local politician; she's a soon to be retired athlete who isn't even competing now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies