Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 11:41 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
And ditto for me. We moved to Wisconsin last July and have been to the vet at least six times since then (our cat and dog are both very advanced in age), and I have yet to be inside the clinic or meet the vet in person.

GRRRRR.
Our vet comes outside to talk with us. He's a keeper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 11:54 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't agree with the policy - I just realize there's a reason they haven't opened back up. And they do seem absolutely unified with each other in not opening up - I see posts on Nextdoor asking if there are any vets allowing humans in the building, and no, there aren't.

It must just be that much easier/cost effective for them to take pets in the parking lot. And I imagine they'll maintain this policy until a few vets open up again, then they'll all have to to keep business.
Yes it does seem as if it is a unified effort.
I just find it odd that of all the businesses in my area its the vets that are holding on tight to the restrictions.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:34 PM

13,642 posts, read 9,698,765 times
There is likely a trio of competing or overlapping issues: health, costs and culture.

The health concerns were most prominent at the pandemic's start... the "flattening the curve" and so on. The cost-concerns are for example those of veterinarians that even now have closed their lobbies to customers, or clothing stores that have closed their fitting-rooms. That is, we have business-type of reasons masquerading as health concerns. Because the overlap is plausible, the practices can be readily condoned.

Finally we have the cultural reasons, which go far in explaining why in some places fully vaccinated people are still wearing masks outdoors, while in others, unvaccinated people aren't wearing masks even indoors. More than mere politics, we subscribe to cohesive feelings of our group, and persist in the associated behavior, for reasons of identity, rather than health or even business.

In my locale, outdoor mask usage remains prevalent; maybe 50% of pedestrians on the sidewalk, and 20% of joggers or cyclists on public tracks. In our office, maybe 60% wear masks in normal practice, and nearly everyone dons a mask when gathering in the conference-room, despite 100% vaccination rate. Often in a meeting of 10-12 people, I will be the only one who is unmasked; and yes, I am vaccinated (Moderna).

My concern is that our culture is shifting, ever more towards restrictive and cosseting practices. The trend will continue, as we discover new viruses, new inhibitors of health such as pollutants or allergens, and new technological means of ostensibly keeping us safer. This is especially so, when culture aligns with business.

Expect more of the curbside service model, not only with veterinarians. Recall for example how once upon a time it was common for the customer to hang-out with the car mechanic in the shop, while the customer's car was being serviced. This started to change maybe in the 1980s. Placards appeared in a special room, called the customer waiting room, where customers were corralled and kept waiting. The placard warned customers that the shop-area was off-limits. Ostensibly the reason was liability insurance... what if the customer slips on an oil-slick in the shop- area, hits his head and sues the shop? Maybe the next step is contactless service, where the customer drives the car to a parking-lot, drops the keys off in a box, collects a receipt (or receives a text-confirmation on his cell phone), and walks away. A day or two later, the same car appears in the same spot, repaired... with a bill showing up on the customer's phone. The customer pays the bill, and the digital lock-box releases the keys.

Old 07-07-2021, 02:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes it does seem as if it is a unified effort.
I just find it odd that of all the businesses in my area its the vets that are holding on tight to the restrictions.
I think it's because other businesses benefit from having customers come inside, and vets offices are burdened by having humans inside. It's just easier to provide the service if you don't have to deal with the human owner during the treatment.

It does seem there must be significant pressure on each vet not to break ranks and allow humans inside.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:48 PM

8,410 posts, read 4,571,146 times
You also see more and more fast food and casual food reduce inside services. The drive through i much more profitable. No need to clean table, no soda machine to maintain and no salad bar/condiment bar or salsa bar. Not to mention restrooms.

I need to smog check my car and normally I don't have to make an appointment at the shop up the street. The last time I went there the guy told me they only have one smog tech now "because of, you know, covid." I was like, covid made you lay off all techs but one? You obviously have as much of a need (me).

Merchants used covid as an excuse for all types of service reduction.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:23 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Southern California, beach community. 75%+ vaccination rate, 90%+ among seniors. Perhaps 20% with masks in stores and the like. Loving the added outdoor seating in bars and restaurants. Looks like the city government is dealing with the fact that - gasp! - people may see alcohol being consumed if they pass by a bar.

No complaints.

Similar here...with all masked up in doctor office waiting rooms where still required, and all were masked up at bank the last few times I was there. Eating out on the patio (not inside) some with my elderly mom has been nice in this perfect July weather. Still staying cautious due to unfortunate variants flying around...have to take care of elderly mom and special needs brother and the pandemic is not over yet.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:13 PM

8,205 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
We been a few months in with the mask mandates being lifted and stores and restaurants being back to 100 percent capacity.

Has anything change, how "new" normal is your location right now? Is there more Mask less people then masked people? People freaking out about the vaccine?
Medical establishments here still require masks, and they do not intend to ever get rid of the restriction.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:03 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
No. Only few brave do not wear masks. The rest just keeps wearing them, not sure why, as they are not mandated strictly anymore. I see average 10-15 patients a day. No one freaks out over vaccines. SO far, I believe, vast majority believes they are grace of god and best thing since (...............) fill the blank.

It's, sort of, a non social topic.....

Old 07-08-2021, 07:24 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think it's because other businesses benefit from having customers come inside, and vets offices are burdened by having humans inside. It's just easier to provide the service if you don't have to deal with the human owner during the treatment.

It does seem there must be significant pressure on each vet not to break ranks and allow humans inside.
IDK. Seems to me that because animals cant talk its prudent to have their human there.
The vet or vet tech generally asks me questions about the issue my pet is having. Recently I have had one with yeast issues and there has been a lot of back and forth questions and answers about cause, and treatment. For actual medical procedures they always take mine "in the back" anyway and bring them out when finished and I sit alone in the little room or pick them up the next day.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:07 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,917,128 times
Here it’s pretty much back to normal, now the ones wearing masks are in the minority and only corporation owned restaurants require the staff to wear masks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies