Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 05:40 AM

8,667 posts, read 9,212,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
The Ainu. No they don't look like all other Japanese. They're a very primitive tribe that's lived on their island for several thousand years before the ancestors of the modern Japanese ever showed up. Only a couple thousand left, but finally starting to get some recognition and legal standing, but they have a long way to go yet.

In Japan, anyone not Japanese is Gaijin. Up until Commodore Perry opened up Tokyo harbor at the point of a cannon, any Japanese that had interacted with a Gaijin would be beheaded upon return to Japan so the nation wouldn't be tainted by foreign thought.

Sound Familiar.....???
No, not really. The folks I'm thinking of live on mainland Japan. Not a primitive tribe but live in certain cities/towns. I recall this information several years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 05:56 AM

8,293 posts, read 3,721,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Racism grows out of the unknown and fear of someone that is different than you. The fear is then built on by personal experience and stories from other people that reinforce the stereotype of a certain race or group of people which is then extended to anyone that has those physical features.

If you have a negative experience with a purple person such as some crime and then you hear stories from others that they have also suffered at the hands of purple people and then your fear is built on when you see on social media and even in movies that purple people are not nice it is not that much of a leap to suddenly see all purple people as a threat.

That is how racism starts. If all you see of a certain group of people is negative it takes many acts of a positive nature to overcome the bad.

It is just human nature not to trust people that remind you of a bad experience.

It is kind of like an animal that used to be abused by a man that wore a hat and now when the animal sees a man wearing a hat they are fearful and might even lash out.

Of course as humans we can make a choice not to fear a purple person that wears a hat. We can also choose to see the best in people of all shades and leave it up to the individual to be a jerk or nice.
A purple person needs medical attention whether they are wearing a hat or not.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:02 AM

5,385 posts, read 3,288,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
What did he expect, when he moved here he didn't make an effort to disassociate with people of his own culture. Had he assimilated to Americans and American culture I doubt this would have happened.
Yeah, that was my first thought as well.

I worked with two Indian ladies. One was employed with the company prior to me working there and the other joined shortly after me. On the second girl's first day, the lady who already worked here arrived to work in full traditional Indian attire, including the nose ring connected to the ear via chain. Prior to this, the person never, ever wore any traditional attire.

A few months after she was hired I was talking to the "new" girl and asked her what that was all about. She said that it was simply a matter of being shown her place. The new girl didn't come from the affluent society that the other one did.

Crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies